This thread currently has 3,215 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Simon
March 14, 2023, 7:17pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 33
Anyone know what's happened to Scannell?

He was close to making a return getting on the bench a few weeks back and then nothing, have i missed something

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
March 14, 2023, 7:49pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

Scannell is a class player for our level but I very much doubt he will be offered a new contract in the summer due to his injury record.

Our cup run revenue will change things next season, no passengers.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
RichMariner
March 14, 2023, 9:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,160
Gold Stars: 211
I don't understand why we offered him a deal in the summer. We knew he was injured, and that he'd miss preseason, and would therefore be playing catch-up fitness-wise.

He first made the bench v Harrogate on Boxing Day and then came off the bench a few days later in our 4-1 defeat to Salford.

At that point I took this to mean that he was close to being match fit.

He was named on the bench for the next few matches, including the two FA Cup games v Luton. But since then, nothing. Didn't even make the bench v Southampton when we could name nine players.

I'm not sure what's happened for him to fade away like that. If we're not even going to name him on a nine-man bench in a cup tie then I don't see him playing again this season.

So, is he fit? If not, that would explain things, but no one has reported that he's injured. Equally, if he's fit, why is he not involved? Hurst must know what a fit Scannell offers the team, hence the year contract.

It's not the major story of the moment, obviously, but in hindsight if we were never going to play a fit Scannell then what was the point in extending his contract?

Just to make it clear, I wish the bloke all the best. If by giving him an extension it helped him in some way personally, or that he's good to have around in the dressing room, then fair enough.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
toontown
March 14, 2023, 9:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from RichMariner
I don't understand why we offered him a deal in the summer. We knew he was injured, and that he'd miss preseason, and would therefore be playing catch-up fitness-wise.

He first made the bench v Harrogate on Boxing Day and then came off the bench a few days later in our 4-1 defeat to Salford.

At that point I took this to mean that he was close to being match fit.

He was named on the bench for the next few matches, including the two FA Cup games v Luton. But since then, nothing. Didn't even make the bench v Southampton when we could name nine players.

I'm not sure what's happened for him to fade away like that. If we're not even going to name him on a nine-man bench in a cup tie then I don't see him playing again this season.

So, is he fit? If not, that would explain things, but no one has reported that he's injured. Equally, if he's fit, why is he not involved? Hurst must know what a fit Scannell offers the team, hence the year contract.

It's not the major story of the moment, obviously, but in hindsight if we were never going to play a fit Scannell then what was the point in extending his contract?

Just to make it clear, I wish the bloke all the best. If by giving him an extension it helped him in some way personally, or that he's good to have around in the dressing room, then fair enough.

Agreed- its not a go at Scannel for earning a contract, he seems like he worked hard to deserve it, but at the decision to offer it if we were never going to be willing to play him. Presumably he was always going to need to be used as a sub a few times to build up fitness
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
chaos33
March 14, 2023, 9:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,978
Gold Stars: 361
Looking after him and rehabilitating him was admirable.
Not giving him any game time since he regained his fitness does seem odd. Don’t know how fit he is but I think we might have expected him to ‘give something back’ in terms of repaying that support. Out of his hands, totally, of course.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
PoutonStepover
March 14, 2023, 9:48pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +107
Gold Stars: 8
He may have an extension clause in his contract if he plays a certain number of games, quite common amongst players with bad injury records.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
Bawmariner
March 14, 2023, 9:57pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +331
Gold Stars: 1
Wasn't Scannell on the bench when we didn't have enough players to name a complete bench? My reading of him being on the bench was that he was there to make up numbers. Hurst has said he's a good influence on the squad so having him on the bench might be good from an experience perspective. I don't think he was ever match fit and now we've got less injuries he doesn't need to be near the squad until fully ready.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
Abdul19
March 14, 2023, 10:00pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from PoutonStepover
He may have an extension clause in his contract if he plays a certain number of games, quite common amongst players with bad injury records.

Seems unlikely that the number's 2!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
gtfc_chris
March 14, 2023, 10:02pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,507
Gold Stars: 115
I think the change to a 3-5-2 hasn't helped his cause as I think he's considered a natural winger which we now don't utilise.

Personally, I would have loved him to get more minutes. It took an age after returning from his injury last season to get a run, when he did he grasped it with both hands and showed exactly what he can do and then suffered that injury to rule him out the length it did.

What I find most strange is that PH is all about the right people. He clearly values him enough to keep him on, but with is experience and talent it seems a waste to never use him. I'd have thought he'd at least of had minutes at Carlisle when there was much rotation. I can't understand why PH would see enough in a player to have him around but then never use him, even in rotation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
HatTrickHero
March 14, 2023, 10:06pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +781
Gold Stars: 25
While we're here, where's Wearne? Got some minutes a few games back, cup tied so thought he may get a look in.
Oh, and Gallacher. Did he pick up a knock,? ,looked quite decent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sean Scannell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.