Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Gary Lineker
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 19 Guests

Gary Lineker

This thread currently has 15,513 views. Print
27 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
toontown
March 11, 2023, 11:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from HerveJosse
Back to football (briefly !) . It woukd be so Grimsby Town if our first ever live appearance on match of the day was cancelled by this spat.

Soo Grimsby Town if the only clubs to suffer financially from this spat would be man City (world richest club), Burnley (virtually certain to be in the world's richest league next season), Brighton (current members of the world's richest league)...and us.
The others wouldn't even notice.
Couldn't make it up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 263
HerveJosse
March 11, 2023, 11:28am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,211
Gold Stars: 145
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You might find it hard to believe, especially on a Saturday, but some things, like hard earned freedoms, are even more important than football.

Maybe but it’s a football forum and there are plenty of other places to exercise moral outrage some of them may even be places that might actually achieve something.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 263
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 11, 2023, 11:28am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Maringer
Even thinking an article from The Spectator could show something worthwhile is a pretty remarkable view. A toxic right-wing mag with a tiny circulation yet which wields much greater influence than it deserves thanks to the likes of Neil and Nelson who can appear on any BBC political problem they wish. Can't remember if The New Statesman had similar influence during the New Labour years, but I'd tend to doubt it.

Glad the Tories are going full on culture war instead of attempting to fix everything they've copulated up over the past dozen years or so. It has worked so well in the US. The Tories will always copy the very worst actions of the Republicans if it gives them a chance to keep milking the system.

The reason the 'small boats' (which are full of living, breathing people, don't forget) are coming across because of the cynical ineptitude of the Tory headbangers which makes it pretty much impossible to claim asylum. All this coming at a time when our aging country desperately needs young workers to come in and look after the baby boomers, staff our hospitals, harvest our food etc etc.

As always, I'll refer to Umberto Eco's common features of fascism:

https://www.openculture.com/20.....ures-of-fascism.html

Even if you're sceptical, try getting your pen out to tick off the behaviours of the Conservative government over the past half a dozen years. Impossible to deny that these features aren't all in play. Given the ineptitude of many of those in government in recent years, I suspect most of them don't really realise what they are doing, but I'm sure that a substantial number of them know what they are doing and are happy with the slide towards fascism.

No.4 and No.6 seem very true.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 263
Squinter
March 11, 2023, 11:37am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +587
Gold Stars: 9
Maybe we are all missing the point here, it's not about what he said it's the fact he said something.  Under no duress whatsover he signed a very lucrative contract with the BBC.  Part of that contract is the BBC's code of conduct and their rules on impartialality.  On many occasions he has been warned of his conduct on social media, and on this occasion he has said he will keep breaking his employers rules and therefore his contract.  

If he want's to continue sharing his opinions on social media then I suggest he resigns and goes to Sky or BT.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 263
Maringer
March 11, 2023, 11:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,683
Gold Stars: 189
I know Clarkson doesn't work on the BBC any longer, but he seemed to be allowed to say whatever he pleased back in the day.

Alan Sugar allowed to make nonsensical claims against Corbyn the other year and has been attacking Mick Lynch on twitter recently as well. When is he getting the boot?

Not to mention the fact that one of the board of Directors was head of staff for Theresa May before being parachuted into the BBC. The Chairman donated £400K to the Tories in the past, even before any dodgy dealings with Johnson. The Chief Executive a former Conservative Party candidate (and donor).

If these people not involved in the news or politics side of things at the corporation are allowed to do all this, why should Lineker making a factual comment on his private twitter account be any different
It would be interesting to hear the reasoning behind why one of these cases requires suspension and the others don't require even a comment. Anybody willing to give it a try?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 263
ginnywings
March 11, 2023, 11:48am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Squinter
Maybe we are all missing the point here, it's not about what he said it's the fact he said something.  Under no duress whatsover he signed a very lucrative contract with the BBC.  Part of that contract is the BBC's code of conduct and their rules on impartialality.  On many occasions he has been warned of his conduct on social media, and on this occasion he has said he will keep breaking his employers rules and therefore his contract.  

If he want's to continue sharing his opinions on social media then I suggest he resigns and goes to Sky or BT.

And there are no double standards going on here at all?

He's  a left leaning oik from working class roots, so he is censured. Plenty of other BBC employees say what they like with impunity, but are generally favourable to the government.

Hypocrisy in action.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 263
Eastendmariner
March 11, 2023, 11:53am
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
Can someone please explain to me how perfectly legal asylum seekers are supposed to get here? Get on a plane? Maybe a ferry at Calais? Swim? Walk on water?

The only recourse they have to get to these shores is by boat, often very dangerously overloaded and totally inadequate boats at that, often using all the money they have in the world.

They have every right to come here and seek asylum and yet have no safe means of doing so. The government is now about to take away that as well. So although we signed up to international treaties to accept asylum seekers, we are making it impossible for them to do so.

My thoughts exactly  on the Button

Football is and has become part of our social foundation and escape for the working class when we look back at Foreign players Trueman  Robeldo  would they have had a chance to stay or even play in our so called modern society I doubt it with the reteroric  and disgusting Legislation  that's evolving from Westminster. Having been Born Abroad  my Q is how English are you ?

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 263
Squinter
March 11, 2023, 11:57am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +587
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from ginnywings

And there are no double standards going on here at all?

He's  a left leaning oik from working class roots, so he is censured. Plenty of other BBC employees say what they like with impunity, but are generally favourable to the government.

Hypocrisy in action.

I totally agree with you, but it's the fact that he is publically unrependant that has forced the BBC's hand
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 263
Marinerdan
March 11, 2023, 12:02pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +957
Gold Stars: 17
Propaganda must not investigate the truth objectively (…) it must present only that aspect of the truth which is favorable to its own side. (...) The receptive powers of the masses are very restricted (…) On the other hand, they quickly forget. All effective propaganda must be confined to a few bare essentials and those must be expressed as far as possible in stereotyped formulas. These slogans should be persistently repeated until the very last individual has come to grasp the idea that has been put forward.

The above passage could have been lifted directly from the current right wing playbook. The whole Gary Lineker situation and the ‘Culture Wars’ in general seem to distraction to stop people focusing on the numerous messes the current government has made.

This one in particular looks like an own goal as it’s reignited the story about the last but one Prime Minster allegedly needing help from Richard Sharp to borrow money from his own ‘cousin’.

Gary Lineker’s opinion doesn’t really matter and shouldn’t be the main news story.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 263
codcheeky
March 11, 2023, 12:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,262
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from rancido

In other words if I don't follow or agree with your narrative or views then I am wrong and you are right.
Isn't it rather ironic that you believe in freedom of speech ? Of course, providing it follows your views. Obviously, in your eyes, I'm a fool , gullible and can't think for myself and come up with my own opinion.

No I was only pointing out the hypocrisy of your “freedom of speech is sacrosanct but…” post, and how you have chosen to interpret what Lineker actually said.
Unlike some I am quite  happy to be proved wrong when facts are presented to me to undermine my argument
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 263
27 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Gary Lineker

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.