pontoonlew
March 6, 2023, 8:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Poojah
Changing the direction of conversation slightly, does anyone know what our biggest cup win in our our history is, in terms of the league position gap vs the team we beat?

Southampton were 64 places above us. We were actually top of League Two when we beat Spurs (who were 8th in the PL at the time), so that’s 60 places. Brighton are also 8th (though they could drop a place later tonight) so with us currently 17th that’s a whopping 77 position gap.

I’m fairly sure Southampton is the greatest deficit we’ve overcome in my lifetime, with Town being in the second tier when we beat the likes of West Ham and Liverpool, and third tier when we beat Villa, Wednesday and Leicester in the 90s.

Those are all the top-flight giant killings I can think of in my time following Town (though I may have missed a couple). Would an improbable win at Brighton genuinely be our greatest cup win in our 145 year history (and was Southampton the greatest so far)?  

To answer your last question, it wouldn’t just be our greatest cup win, it’d go down as one of the biggest in the cups history. I’m struggling to think of anything bigger than a League 2 club going to the semis, Wigan or Wimbledon winning the thing? But even then, they were top flight sides.

FWIW Southampton is the best in our history IMO, mainly for the reward of a quarter final (still can’t believe it).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 41
Poojah
March 6, 2023, 8:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from pontoonlew

To answer your last question, it wouldn’t just be our greatest cup win, it’d go down as one of the biggest in the cups history. I’m struggling to think of anything bigger than a League 2 club going to the semis, Wigan or Wimbledon winning the thing? But even then, they were top flight sides.

Wycombe beat Premier League Leicester to make the semis in 2001, thanks to that fabled Roy Essandoh goal, though they were a third tier side. Lincoln of course reached the quarters in 2017 as a non-league side, which was equally if not more impressive I would say, begrudgingly.

So maybe you’re right, a League Two side in the semis would just be incredible, wouldn’t it. It remains so, so unlikely but isn’t it just mental that two years ago today we lost 2-1 at home to Forest Green to find ourselves 5 points adrift at the bottom of the EFL after a run of 3 straight defeats, and now we are one win away from being that club.

It’s almost incomprehensible to me.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 41
coddy60
March 6, 2023, 8:33pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Poojah
Changing the direction of conversation slightly, does anyone know what our biggest cup win in our our history is, in terms of the league position gap vs the team we beat?

Southampton were 64 places above us. We were actually top of League Two when we beat Spurs (who were 8th in the PL at the time), so that’s 60 places. Brighton are also 8th (though they could drop a place later tonight) so with us currently 17th that’s a whopping 77 position gap.

I’m fairly sure Southampton is the greatest deficit we’ve overcome in my lifetime, with Town being in the second tier when we beat the likes of West Ham and Liverpool, and third tier when we beat Villa, Wednesday and Leicester in the 90s.

Those are all the top-flight giant killings I can think of in my time following Town (though I may have missed a couple). Would an improbable win at Brighton genuinely be our greatest cup win in our 145 year history (and was Southampton the greatest so far)?  

Great question 👍

In my opinion, due to the reasons you mentioned, it definitely would be our biggest scalp.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 41
Les Brechin
March 6, 2023, 9:11pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Poojah
Changing the direction of conversation slightly, does anyone know what our biggest cup win in our history is, in terms of the league position gap vs the team we beat?

Middlesborough must be very close in 88/89, IIRC they were 10th in the top flight and we were 4th bottom of the 4th Division at the time we played them.

That win would have got far more national coverage had then non-league Sutton, not beaten then top-flight Coventry City.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 41
toontown
March 6, 2023, 9:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Les Brechin

Middlesborough must be very close in 88/89, IIRC they were 10th in the top flight and we were 4th bottom of the 4th Division at the time we played them.

Yeah Middlesborough, we were 4th bottom of league 2, not sure on their position though?

Villa in the league Cup when we won 3 1, perhaps, they were going really well at the time although I am pretty sure we would have been higher than we are now?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 41
Poojah
March 6, 2023, 9:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

That win would have got far more national coverage had then non-league Sutton, not beaten then top-flight Coventry City.

Good shout. Boro were 13th in the top flight while we were 20th in division 4. By my maths that’s 74 places apart, so more than Southampton but not quite as big a gap as Brighton will likely be.

I have to admit, being only 3 years old at the time of the Middlesbrough game, it’s a result that I knew of and I have seen the late Marc North goals countless times, but I hadn’t appreciated quite how far apart the two sides were until now. Quite the result, that.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ont.....etUser=onthisGTFCday

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 41
Heisenberg
March 6, 2023, 9:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from toontown

Yeah Middlesborough, we were 4th bottom of league 2, not sure on their position though?

Villa in the league Cup when we won 3 1, perhaps, they were going really well at the time although I am pretty sure we would have been higher than we are now?

Didn’t we knock Villa out on away goals after two draws? I think the 3-1 might have been against Coventry, and we got knocked out anyway as Kevin Drinkell did us in the 2nd leg.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 41
forza ivano
March 6, 2023, 9:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Nobody has mentioned the shirt sleeve sponsorship from the Luton game onwards.

good point. has anyone idea how much these types of sponsorship cost?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 41
marinerjase
March 6, 2023, 9:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,665
Gold Stars: 147
Never got the coverage from the media that that Middlesbrough result deserved..one of my best away days ever watching Town that one.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 41
Poojah
March 6, 2023, 9:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from marinerjase
Never got the coverage from the media that that Middlesbrough result deserved..one of my best away days ever watching Town that one.

I had the misfortune of living in Middlesbrough for three years in my late teens / early twenties. The spot where Ayresome Park was is now a small housing estate, with street names attempting to honour what went before but clearly the lazy work of a housing developer’s marketing team (“The Turnstile”, “The Midfield”, rather than anything unique to the club).

The surrounding area is rough as fúck though, much of what I remember is now razed to the ground, and I’ve often wondered what it must have been like as an away day. I can only imagine it was edgy.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Cup Run

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.