5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Nutsy
March 6, 2023, 1:39pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +157
Gold Stars: 5
Given that we are now at the same stage Lincoln got to, albeit with much less publicity, what are the earnings we have got so far in the cup and what are we likely to end up with?

Lincoln’s run set them for their eventual place in league 1 where they have cemented a mid table place quite comfortably - this would be my aim.

Logged Offline
Private Message
toontown
March 6, 2023, 2:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Lincoln were live on national TV at the 3rd round stage replay I think, against Ipswich, I assume that would have earned them more than we got by the same stage.

Not sure about their other games apart from against Arsenal in the QF for which a sell out would have held double Brightons ground so more money there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 41
nealeardleyscrossing
March 6, 2023, 2:56pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -306
Gold Stars: 4
Definitely similarities between our runs, suppose the only difference is we were in NL. Like you we won away at a premiership club who made 6 changes in the 5th round (Burnley), and we actually knocked Brighton out who again made changes.. in the 4th round. That all changed away at Arsenal in the quarters as Wegner played his 1st 11, and we couldn't get a touch really, it was utter 1 way traffic, though I would imagine you have a stronger side than we had then being a division higher.

Money wise, we made our biggest amount, away at Arsenal, gate receipts were huge I think for us and TV too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 41
RonMariner
March 6, 2023, 5:48pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,790
Gold Stars: 226
Definitely similarities between our runs, suppose the only difference is we were in NL. Like you we won away at a premiership club who made 6 changes in the 5th round (Burnley), and we actually knocked Brighton out who again made changes.. in the 4th round. That all changed away at Arsenal in the quarters as Wegner played his 1st 11, and we couldn't get a touch really, it was utter 1 way traffic, though I would imagine you have a stronger side than we had then being a division higher.

Money wise, we made our biggest amount, away at Arsenal, gate receipts were huge I think for us and TV too.

Did the club ever reveal how much the cup run generated.  Am guessing over a million? How was the money spent? Did it go on transfer fees or big wages?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 41
Poojah
March 6, 2023, 5:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from RonMariner

Did the club ever reveal how much the cup run generated.  Am guessing over a million? How was the money spent? Did it go on transfer fees or big wages?

If you can be bothered to watch the first 20 seconds of this video, they bought their new training ground with it. Wages etc are being funded through other means, I imagine.

Our run can only help accelerate our own plans.

https://youtu.be/ztygIF7X9kM

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 41
pontoonlew
March 6, 2023, 6:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Not sure if it’s been posted but my reckoning would be;

Prize Money £558,000 (this is definite)
TV - £250,000 (Brighton & Southampton)
Gates - £626,000 (based on 45% of all gates from all games, averaged at £18 per ticket and Brighton selling out)
EFL Fund - £250,000 (this has yet to be confirmed though?)

Total £1.64m

You’d imagine those figures aren’t a million miles away and absolutely massive for us long term.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 41
toontown
March 6, 2023, 6:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from pontoonlew

Gates - £626,000 (based on 45% of all gates from all games, averaged at £18 per ticket and Brighton selling out)

Total £1.64m

You’d imagine those figures aren’t a million miles away and absolutely massive for us long term.

The EFL fund doesn't exist any more Kristine Green confirmed that. You have missed off the overseas TV fee for the Burton game though, 40k I think?

I think the gate receipts would be  a bit less (17k of the cup run gate was 15 quid for adults and a fiver for kids from the game at southampton) and 20k has to be paid for VAR for the two games with it (southampton and Brighton).

I would think more like 1.3 million assuming your other figures are right but sales of merchandise like Harry haddock would add a bit to that. A huge amount for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 41
HertsGTFC
March 6, 2023, 7:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from pontoonlew

Total £1.64m

Last week in the media Jason Stockwood said the profit from the cup run will go into the playing budget. So they’ll be some costs and a well earned bonus for the players but overall I’d expect us to have the highest budget we’ve seen in donkeys to go at next season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 41
jamesgtfc
March 6, 2023, 7:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from toontown

The EFL fund doesn't exist any more Kristine Green confirmed that. You have missed off the overseas TV fee for the Burton game though, 40k I think?

I think the gate receipts would be  a bit less (17k of the cup run gate was 15 quid for adults and a fiver for kids from the game at southampton) and 20k has to be paid for VAR for the two games with it (southampton and Brighton).

I would think more like 1.3 million assuming your other figures are right but sales of merchandise like Harry haddock would add a bit to that. A huge amount for us.

Nobody has mentioned the shirt sleeve sponsorship from the Luton game onwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 41
Poojah
March 6, 2023, 7:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Changing the direction of conversation slightly, does anyone know what our biggest cup win in our history is, in terms of the league position gap vs the team we beat?

Southampton were 64 places above us. We were actually top of League Two when we beat Spurs (who were 8th in the PL at the time), so that’s 60 places. Brighton are also 8th (though they could drop a place later tonight) so with us currently 17th that’s a whopping 77 position gap.

I’m fairly sure Southampton is the greatest deficit we’ve overcome in my lifetime, with Town being in the second tier when we beat the likes of West Ham and Liverpool, and third tier when we beat Villa, Wednesday and Leicester in the 90s.

Those are all the top-flight giant killings I can think of in my time following Town (though I may have missed a couple). Would an improbable win at Brighton genuinely be our greatest cup win in our 145 year history (and was Southampton the greatest so far)?  

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 41
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Cup Run

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.