Manchester Mariner
March 1, 2023, 11:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from RonMariner
To think, two years ago we were heading into the abyss. Things never looked bleaker.

What a turnaround.

A lot of people were saying we were heading into the abyss on deadline day a month ago.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 58
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
March 1, 2023, 11:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

A lot of people were saying we were heading into the abyss on deadline day a month ago.

I wasn’t one of them but I presume it was a typo and they meant to say heading into the amex.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 58
HerveJosse
March 1, 2023, 11:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,217
Gold Stars: 144
Can we have VAR every week?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 58
Manchester Mariner
March 1, 2023, 11:47pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
I also post on a music forum which has a football sub-forum. Before the draw I was saying how we'll probably draw Brighton in the quarter final who will smash us with their efficiency. A middle aged woman from Manchester who is a fan of The Fall replied saying 'But the whole country will be behind you.' I have to admit those words made me well up. Obviously she is not aware of Scunthorpe when she says 'the whole country will be behind you.'

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 58
BeijingMariner
March 1, 2023, 11:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
Something sensible      

"The first wasn't blatant. But it was clear on replay on TV, and with VAR that is what matters. Lyanco was a touch unlucky, he seemed to misjudge his header, but then he didn't actually need to do anything at all, he's just a clumsy poor footballer. As for the DCC penalty of course the Grimsby player went down like a sack of spuds, made the most of it, but who wouldn't. You can't slap someone in the back, whether you are provoked or not. DCC has clearly shown that he doesn't have the temperament for our game, that's why he was red carded against Newcastle, he is a complete and utter liability. There was no way that should not have been a penalty, he was very lucky not to have been red carded. Still he did redeem himself slightly by scoring, but only slightly. His other effort was unbelievably bad.

Trying to pretend that we lost that game because of two dubious decisions is laughable. We were dire, I have never seen us as pathetic as we were tonight, we were better when we lost 9-0 (both times). Mara, Orsic, Aribo, Edozie, Armstrong really have no case for being in a PL team (not to mention DCC and Lyanco). KWP was disappointingly ineffective, Charly gave the ball away too often, Djenepo tried hard and at least seemed interested and up for a game, Perraud tries hard and gives his all but overall is not very good. JWP made a difference when he came on, but actually did a lot of chasing after shadows, because no one else was trying. Felt a bit sorry for Walcott, that was a very well taken goal, and showed that he has some class, the margin of offside was miniscule but nevertheless it was offside. I actually thought that Bazunu might have got to one or other of the pens, certainly more likely than McCarthy who never saves penalties.

I think tonight made me finally think I have had it with football, the game has been ruined, my club has been ruined, but I suppose I will tune in again on Saturday to go through the whole depressing process again, ad nauseum until the end of the season. "
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 14 - 58
Southwark Mariner
March 1, 2023, 11:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
I also post on a music forum which has a football sub-forum. Before the draw I was saying how we'll probably draw Brighton in the quarter final who will smash us with their efficiency. A middle aged woman from Manchester who is a fan of The Fall replied saying 'But the whole country will be behind you.' I have to admit those words made me well up. Obviously she is not aware of Scunthorpe when she says 'the whole country will be behind you.'

it is being played in Brighton...the whole country is essentially behind us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 58
The Caterham Mariner
March 2, 2023, 12:16am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +98
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Simon
How the hell am i going to sleep tonight now  

ME  TOOA at Premier Inn Southampton  still tsking it in  WOW at least  ehen time comes i can tell my grandchildren  i was there
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 58
forza ivano
March 2, 2023, 12:39am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,267
Gold Stars: 266
just back to North Bucks after being diverted through almost the entirety of Oxfordshire; never criticising VAR ever again
Individually they were impressive, especially Walker peters, but collectively they weren't that great.
Other the hand we weren't great individually but it was a truly magnificent collective effort. Can't really think of  a  stand out performance - everyone just dug in, ran ard hassled, headed and tackled like their lives depended on it
Great subs tonight from PH - Taylor gave them something to think about and won some good headers, but thought Khouri & Khan were excellent and exactly what was needed
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 58
SheepGTFC
March 2, 2023, 1:06am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from RonMariner
The three play off games, the Luton game and this, That's five games we will never forget.

Paul Hurst part 2 has certainly had some fantastic moments. Lifelong memories.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 58
Limerick Mariner
March 2, 2023, 1:10am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,720
Gold Stars: 137
Approaching Northampton, also been diverted, which has caused a significant increase in sales to people in black and white at MacDonalds in Abingdon, according to the staff.

Struggling to get my head round this after 53 years watching Town, - it was a mere 31 years earlier that we’d made the SF.

Every player knew his job in a performance of masterful defensive organisation with just one blip for their goal. What else did Max have to do (the cramp was a problem again mind - funny how it comes and goes isn’t it).

9 knock out wins out 10 now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back.....to planet Earth

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.