Abdul19
February 23, 2023, 11:32am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,577
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
On a similar theme, I thought James Hunt was under-appreciated as a water-carrier. He did a lot of good work which did not always get noticed or appreciated.  He was more effective away from home I think.

Yeah I liked him, played well in that run at the end of 08/09. Newell must've been on the white lightning when he released him but kept Boshell and Clarke.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 104
Kris2
February 23, 2023, 12:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Abdul19

Yeah I liked him, played well in that run at the end of 08/09. Newell must've been on the white lightning when he released him but kept Boshell and Clarke.

It sort of makes sense in the context he was in his mid thirties at the time and was very much a Buckley type player and not what Newell wanted (though we later learned what he looks for in a player). Hunt was industrious, did all the donkey work in midfield winning the ball without standing out as flashy which is much of the Buckley archetype for what a midfielder is. Boshell and Clarke were utility players who it was probably hoped would be useful to have around since they could play in a few different positions, though they were not particularly good at any of them which was the problem. At least he released Richard Hopeless and wasn't the one responsible for Heywood the slowest defender I've seen in a Town shirt. The Collins/Clarke paring under Slade looked like Usain Bolt in comparison.
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 104
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 23, 2023, 1:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,765
Gold Stars: 81
Clay, Disley & Nolan was probably our best midfield for many a season and a pity they had so little time playing together. As for Clay always liked him as a real grafter who wasn’t too bad on the ball and I certainly would rate him above all but Clifton in our current squad albeit Holohan probably plays a different midfield role to him.

All just opinions at the end of the day and I still remember the Barrett Stand’s dislike of Mike Hickman back in the day and he proved to be an excellent town player and had a good career when he moved on.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 104
diehardmariner
February 23, 2023, 1:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Hunt was the perfect foil for Sweeney in that run at the end of 08/09.

Still, we got Mike Leary as a replacement...
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 104
lew chaterleys lover
February 23, 2023, 1:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,746
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Clay, Disley & Nolan was probably our best midfield for many a season and a pity they had so little time playing together. As for Clay always liked him as a real grafter who wasn’t too bad on the ball and I certainly would rate him above all but Clifton in our current squad albeit Holohan probably plays a different midfield role to him.

All just opinions at the end of the day and I still remember the Barrett Stand’s dislike of Mike Hickman back in the day and he proved to be an excellent town player and had a good career when he moved on.

I often joke that we had some terrific players even in the darkest non league times, but sadly couldn't get them together in the same team - just a year or two either way and we would have had a fantastic team.

An eleven chosen over say 5 seasons in our non league days would have been too good for league 2.

I suppose this is the dilemma managers have these days- it's very difficult to get the incremental improvements often talked about because your better players are itching to move on when their 1 year or 18month contract is up and you have to start the process again. It's a bit of a lottery really.
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 104
Theimperialcoroner
February 23, 2023, 3:14pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,256
Gold Stars: 102

I often joke that we had some terrific players even in the darkest non league times, but sadly couldn't get them together in the same team - just a year or two either way and we would have had a fantastic team.

An eleven chosen over say 5 seasons in our non league days would have been too good for league 2.

I suppose this is the dilemma managers have these days- it's very difficult to get the incremental improvements often talked about because your better players are itching to move on when their 1 year or 18month contract is up and you have to start the process again. It's a bit of a lottery really.

A sober XI from that period would’ve also been decent, but sadly they couldn’t emulate Gally and still perform tanked up. Conlon and Sweeney drunk their careers up the wall.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 104
Badger57
February 23, 2023, 3:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,914
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Hickman was pretty rubbish the season before 71-72 promotion season when he was magnificent. Lawrie Mac certainly got the best out of him as I recall.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 104
jamesgtfc
February 23, 2023, 3:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190

McKeown
Tait Pearson Nsiala Townsend
Clay Disley Nolan
Hearn Bogle Amond

Subs: Nielson, Gowling, Magnay, Hannah, Thanoj
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 104
Mariner_09
February 23, 2023, 4:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from jamesgtfc

McKeown
Tait Pearson Nsiala Townsend
Clay Disley Nolan
Hearn Bogle Amond

Subs: Nielson, Gowling, Magnay, Hannah, Thanoj

Harsh that Nath isn't in the side let alone the squad. I'd have Lenny on the bench as well over Hannah (whom I always thought was overrated).

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 104
jamesgtfc
February 23, 2023, 4:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Mariner_09

Harsh that Nath isn't in the side let alone the squad. I'd have Lenny on the bench as well over Hannah (whom I always thought was overrated).

Very fair comment. Lenny and Arnold can go on the bench in place of Nielson and Hannah. I really struggled to put a CM on the bench.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.