diehardmariner
February 22, 2023, 1:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Son of Cod
Stats wise Holohan was much better than Morris and Clifton but those two were similarly effective last night...

Morris
Accurate passes: 17/32 (53%)
Touches: 41
Passes into final third: 9
Successful dribbles: 0
Chances created: 0
Accurate crosses 1/1 (100%)
Total shots: 0
Tackles won: 1
Headed clearances: 1
Interceptions: 1
Recoveries: 1
Ground duels won: 0
Aerial duels won : 3/4 (75%)

Clifton
Accurate passes: 24/34 (71%)
Touches: 44
Passes into final third: 1
Successful dribbles: 3
Chances created: 1
Accurate crosses 0/3
Total shots: 0
Tackles won: 0
Headed clearances: 0
Interceptions: 0
Recoveries: 4
Ground duels won: 4/6 (67%)
Aerial duels won : 2/3 (67%)

...but let's not let facts get in the way of berating the latest fall guy.

Personally think you can take stats like that with a large pinch of salt.  Clifton will always have less passes into the final third than Morris because of where they line up on the pitch.   But for both there's some damning numbers there, 0/3 successful crosses for Clifton and very ;poor passing accuracy for Morris.

Where are those stats from please?
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 104
Nutsy
February 22, 2023, 2:13pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +157
Gold Stars: 5
I thought taking Clifton off instead of Holohan was a bold statement as up to then, Harry had been his usual busy self
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 104
Son of Cod
February 22, 2023, 2:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from arryarryarry

I have to try to remember where he has offered anything much in his games. For me the poorest of the midfielders we have

Arguably our best player earlier in the season and was one of the best players on the pitch in those away wins at Walsall, Rochdale and Newport. I completely disagree on him being our worst midfielder. For me, he's the most versatile of our midfielders. I definitely admit that he's not been as good as he was at the start of the season since returning from injury though. However, having said that I think he was one of the few players to come away from Gillingham away with any shred of credibility.

Quoted from diehardmariner

Personally think you can take stats like that with a large pinch of salt.  Clifton will always have less passes into the final third than Morris because of where they line up on the pitch.   But for both there's some damning numbers there, 0/3 successful crosses for Clifton and very ;poor passing accuracy for Morris.

Where are those stats from please?

They're from Fotmob. I agree with you to an extent that stats can be misleading. I think they can often highlight when someone has been head and shoulders above someone else though and I didn't necessarily see that between the midfielders last night, which is what a lot of people seem to be suggesting. I didn't think Morris was quite as bad as the consensus seems to be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 104
ChannelMariner
February 22, 2023, 2:34pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +52
Gold Stars: 2
I said it during the Northampton game even after the win, Morris does not deserve to be in that starting lineup.

He's had some alright moments nearer the start of the season but looks completely lost. Hunt hasn't exactly had the greatest of form but I can't see how giving him a run out over Morris can be any worse. He brings very little to the table.

Hugely frustrating game, a point is a point but we should be winning there, looked good in the first half but definitely lost in the second, too much reacting to the game rather than controlling it, which we should be doing against a fairly pedestrian (although seemingly well organised) side who came for the point.

It's a shame because there was some good passing play in the first, Clifton looked busy and Emmanuel was threatening, as well as McAtee and Efete. We were unlucky at times I think, definitely not concerned about relegation, just a shame not to pick up what would've been a very handy extra couple of points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 104
diehardmariner
February 22, 2023, 2:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Morris was fine earlier in the season because of the system we were playing.  He anchored a midfield that pressed high ahead of him.  All our of the midfielders were encouraged to play higher press with the full-backs also pushing on to overload teams.  

That type of system suits someone like Morris who will do the donkey work, drop into gaps to cover and make sure we don't overloaded ourselves.  I don't think our current system suits him at all.  As said before, if you're only going with one option down each flank then you've got to have someone who can switch the play with intent and speed.  He doesn't do that, it's just not his game. There are also less gaps defensively for him to cover, if the wing back goes forward there's always a centre-back who can drift across.  The gaps are further forward, where he isn't.

He hasn't become a bad player overnight, I think he's out of form but just not suited to our system.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 104
Jarmo.Is.God
February 22, 2023, 2:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
1st half was ok, we looked good at times, with some nice passes, 2nd half was painful for the majority.
Emmanuel really is a level above, he's so out of place in this league, and its great!

We missed Khan IMO tonight. He can create something out of nothing very quickly.

Might of missed it, but no Scannell on the bench again?

For the next game:
Hunt in for Morris
Taylor in for Lloyd
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 104
TownSNAFU5
February 22, 2023, 2:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
We were our own worst enemy last night.  

ZBetter composure near their goal would have been more productive.

Maher and Glennon both both made determined runs down the left in the second half.  The cross/final ball then let their good work down.

Crosses were often taken by their keeper (who was excellent).  Players need to shoot when close to goal and not make a risky pass.

Another area we can improve on is taking throw-ins.  Very few options to receive the ball or any movement.  This resulted in us giving away possession too often.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 104
FishOutOfWater
February 22, 2023, 2:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from rancido
I just couldn't understand why we persisted with attacking down the right when Glennon time and again had loads of space on the left. I lost count the number of times he didn't have a Harrogate player wasn't within 25 -30 yds of him but we still kept pushing the right side.

I thought the same

Why we didn't switch quickly from the right to Glennon out on the left more than we did I don't know

I have to say I just didn't get the preference to play the ball through the opposition's packed defence ( with a potential jinking run and cross from Emmanuel, as well as that worked on Saturday and again in the last minute for that Taylor chance ) rather than spread the play and catch them flat-footed

It was a frustrating night but at least we didn't switch off and gift Harrogate a goal and the three points ( if they were ever interested in anything more than a draw )
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 47 - 104
Les Brechin
February 22, 2023, 2:49pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
1st half was ok, we looked good at times, with some nice passes, 2nd half was painful for the majority.
Emmanuel really is a level above, he's so out of place in this league, and its great!

We missed Khan IMO tonight. He can create something out of nothing very quickly.

Might of missed it, but no Scannell on the bench again?

For the next game:
Hunt in for Morris
Taylor in for Lloyd

Scannell started the Lincs Cup game at Grantham last night.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 104
ginnywings
February 22, 2023, 2:51pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Nutsy
I thought taking Clifton off instead of Holohan was a bold statement as up to then, Harry had been his usual busy self

It was as much to give him rest from our hectic schedule as anything, which is what PH said post match.

As for Morris, I think he was our best midfielder in the first part of the season. Not been quite as good since his injury, but all players lose form at times. Do you leave them out, or do you try and let them play themselves through it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.