7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Kris2
February 18, 2023, 6:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Seems like another Ben Davies to me who is getting experience in coaching and giving advice on the side lines while also being a backup player with lots of experience who can come on if called upon. Probably winding down his career at this point, I'm sure every footballer wants to play but at this point in his career he'd have to drop pretty far down to do so.

He has only one season of experience in L2 previously with us and he dropped down to NL level again right after, he did okay after Danny Collins came in and Josh Gowling got dropped but that doesn't mean at this point in his career he can be a first choice in L2. There were reasons that Wrexham were prepared to let him leave after the money came in because they could bring in players with experience higher up. I'm sure he's just a good person to have around helping out and it doesn't look like he's complaining.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 64
NewtoN
February 18, 2023, 6:56pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +207
Gold Stars: 5
I’ve seen he is off to America to play for Wrexham legends in the summer so he’ll be on his way. Double promotion with us on his CV. Will go down as a legend, along with Macca and Disley

Up the Mariners, Up the Broadley!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 64
Caveman
February 18, 2023, 7:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Kris2
Seems like another Ben Davies to me who is getting experience in coaching and giving advice on the side lines while also being a backup player with lots of experience who can come on if called upon. Probably winding down his career at this point, I'm sure every footballer wants to play but at this point in his career he'd have to drop pretty far down to do so.

He has only one season of experience in L2 previously with us and he dropped down to NL level again right after, he did okay after Danny Collins came in and Josh Gowling got dropped but that doesn't mean at this point in his career he can be a first choice in L2. There were reasons that Wrexham were prepared to let him leave after the money came in because they could bring in players with experience higher up. I'm sure he's just a good person to have around helping out and it doesn't look like he's complaining.

I'll bet Wrexham were wishing he was defending crosses for them
in the play-offs against Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 64
RichMariner
February 18, 2023, 10:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,160
Gold Stars: 211
He's an interesting case. Solid as a rock for us in the NL first time round, yet was behind Toto and Gowling when we actually went up.

Had a great spell at Wrexham, didn't expect we'd see him back again!

It makes you wonder what his value is beyond the first team. I think he's good enough to keep first teamers on their toes. I also wonder how much of an effect he's had on the experience and development of Smith.

Plus, we all know how great he is as an ambassador of the club in and around the community.

We've got a good set of lads behind the scenes — Pearson, Davies, Coke and Croudson... fantastic examples for all our younger players. Well, players of any age and experience!

After all he'd given us during the seasons when we tried and failed to get out of the NL, I'd have been a bit sad that I didn't get to play more of a role in our promotion. But we never once heard a bad word from him in the press. Not a whinge or a regret or anything.

So when he chose to re-sign for us, under Hursty, who had him behind Toto and Gowling, he must have known he perhaps wouldn't be first choice every game.

It's no secret he wants a career in football after retiring from playing. He's got a sensible head on his shoulders and probably sees his time with us now as the perfect opportunity to learn and beef up his CV.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 13 - 64
bawarmy
February 18, 2023, 10:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,020
Gold Stars: 33
Shaun is a fantastic person and a great ambassador for the club. He needs to be kept on in Some role when he retires.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 64
The Yard Dog
February 18, 2023, 10:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,514
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from bawarmy
Shaun is a fantastic person and a great ambassador for the club. He needs to be kept on in Some role when he retires.

Often bump into Shaun In Tesco's always got time to chat, top bloke.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 64
moosey_club
February 18, 2023, 10:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
Kept on for his insider info and general good egg around the camp.
Like Scannell, seems to have a contract based on his personality, character, influence...not saying that's a bad thing as he clearly seems to be a decent pro.

However, loyalties aside, should we be paying wages for players who really aren't ever going to threaten the first team ?

Love his passion and commitment but in a black and white world , can we afford to pay someone as a player who really isnt going to play?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 64
ginnywings
February 18, 2023, 11:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from moosey_club
Kept on for his insider info and general good egg around the camp.
Like Scannell, seems to have a contract based on his personality, character, influence...not saying that's a bad thing as he clearly seems to be a decent pro.

However, loyalties aside, should we be paying wages for players who really aren't ever going to threaten the first team ?

Love his passion and commitment but in a black and white world , can we afford to pay someone as a player who really isnt going to play?

We gave him a 2 year deal when we were in the National League, which is fair enough, but we unexpectedly came up first time and he was suddenly surplus to requirements. His contract is up in June, so it's a moot point.

If we have some dead rubber games at the end of the season, he'll probably get a run out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 64
bradzmilne
February 19, 2023, 8:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,428
Gold Stars: 30
Although you can’t do it for every player.

Shaun is someone that I would like to see involved with the club once his playing days are over & I suspect that this was a part of his offer when returning to the club.

Epitomises everything that a footballer should be, both on and away from the pitch.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 64
Rick12
February 19, 2023, 8:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
I remember watching Shaun Pearson  in the national league play for Grimsby ( I can't get to many games due to other factors, commitments) and being impressed by his commitment and passion. I remember coming away from the game thinking he was one of Grimsbys best players due to this. Having said that now Grimsby are in league 2 kind of makes sense from some comments on here that there is a level up in quality and Shaun needs more in his locker apart from commitment and passion  to nail down a spot in the first Grimsby 11?.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shaun Pearson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.