Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Stranger in the Park, February 18, 2023, 11:04am
Am I missing something? Since his return to GTFC he has hardly had a touch in the first team, yet he has remained match fit by his inclusion on the bench. Some would cite his age but there are others playing of similar age. Given the recent struggles in the defence against the more physical sides I would have thought that his no-nonsense style and love of a battle would have been just the antidote to the fourth-division cloggers.
Posted by: Hagrid, February 18, 2023, 11:10am; Reply: 1
He isnt good enough to be a League 2 footballer. Simple
Posted by: Poojah, February 18, 2023, 11:10am; Reply: 2
You are missing nothing. Shaun is 33, and has played 4 minutes of football in League Two since 2017. His only meaningful football this season has been in the National League North.

I love Shaun Pearson. He was a shimmer of light during some very dark days for this club, but I suspect he would tell you himself that he’s no longer up to playing EFL football at this stage in his career. Still a good character to have around the squad no doubt, which I suspect is why he is back with us.
Posted by: Stranger in the Park, February 18, 2023, 11:36am; Reply: 3
Sorry but can't agree. Firstly he hasn't played enough to qualify his current abilities and secondly  Div 2 football is sh1te anyway.
Posted by: jaygy, February 18, 2023, 11:55am; Reply: 4
I think us getting promoted back tk the FL effectively ended his playing career with us, thats not a bad thing though as I feel he was brought here with more ideas than just playing football. He will hopefully be here a long time in the future but I don't think we will see him playing much first team football anymore for us
Posted by: mrsd, February 18, 2023, 5:20pm; Reply: 5
Shaun's a great sub, coaching from the line while 'warming up' and berating officials as only he can 😀
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 18, 2023, 5:33pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from jaygy
I think us getting promoted back tk the FL effectively ended his playing career with us, thats not a bad thing though as I feel he was brought here with more ideas than just playing football. He will hopefully be here a long time in the future but I don't think we will see him playing much first team football anymore for us

Yep. I don't think Hurst or anyone at the club really expected the club to bounce straight back. Pearson was brought in almost to be part of that stabilising effect on the club.

Alas, we know how last year went.

Personally think he's been sent out to pasture too soon but there's almost the argument that there's a host of really good players ahead of him.

Ironically, at half-time today I was saying our out-of-sorts defence could do with a Pearson in there to sort it out. Second half they more than sorted themselves out.

I'll be amazed if his GTFC employment ends when either his playing career or contract with us expires.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 18, 2023, 5:37pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Poojah
You are missing nothing. Shaun is 33, and has played 4 minutes of football in League Two since 2017. His only meaningful football this season has been in the National League North.

I love Shaun Pearson. He was a shimmer of light during some very dark days for this club, but I suspect he would tell you himself that he’s no longer up to playing EFL football at this stage in his career. Still a good character to have around the squad no doubt, which I suspect is why he is back with us.

Shaun being Shaun he’d back himself if needed though for sure.
Posted by: aldi_01, February 18, 2023, 5:39pm; Reply: 8
Whilst I’ve no doubt he’d like to play, simple fact is, he isn’t good enough. I think it was clear last time we came up that he wasn’t quite good enough but he offers a lot to the club and the players.

He’s clearly interested in a career in coaching so I’m sure he’s learning his craft here too…
Posted by: DB, February 18, 2023, 5:57pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from aldi_01
Whilst I’ve no doubt he’d like to play, simple fact is, he isn’t good enough. I think it was clear last time we came up that he wasn’t quite good enough but he offers a lot to the club and the players.

He’s clearly interested in a career in coaching so I’m sure he’s learning his craft here too…

I think it's now about what he can give and do for the club in the future, not what he has done. I'm sure he'll be a good coach.

Posted by: Kris2, February 18, 2023, 6:10pm; Reply: 10
Seems like another Ben Davies to me who is getting experience in coaching and giving advice on the side lines while also being a backup player with lots of experience who can come on if called upon. Probably winding down his career at this point, I'm sure every footballer wants to play but at this point in his career he'd have to drop pretty far down to do so.

He has only one season of experience in L2 previously with us and he dropped down to NL level again right after, he did okay after Danny Collins came in and Josh Gowling got dropped but that doesn't mean at this point in his career he can be a first choice in L2. There were reasons that Wrexham were prepared to let him leave after the money came in because they could bring in players with experience higher up. I'm sure he's just a good person to have around helping out and it doesn't look like he's complaining.
Posted by: NewtoN, February 18, 2023, 6:56pm; Reply: 11
I’ve seen he is off to America to play for Wrexham legends in the summer so he’ll be on his way. Double promotion with us on his CV. Will go down as a legend, along with Macca and Disley
Posted by: Caveman, February 18, 2023, 7:06pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Kris2
Seems like another Ben Davies to me who is getting experience in coaching and giving advice on the side lines while also being a backup player with lots of experience who can come on if called upon. Probably winding down his career at this point, I'm sure every footballer wants to play but at this point in his career he'd have to drop pretty far down to do so.

He has only one season of experience in L2 previously with us and he dropped down to NL level again right after, he did okay after Danny Collins came in and Josh Gowling got dropped but that doesn't mean at this point in his career he can be a first choice in L2. There were reasons that Wrexham were prepared to let him leave after the money came in because they could bring in players with experience higher up. I'm sure he's just a good person to have around helping out and it doesn't look like he's complaining.

I'll bet Wrexham were wishing he was defending crosses for them
in the play-offs against Town.
Posted by: RichMariner, February 18, 2023, 10:10pm; Reply: 13
He's an interesting case. Solid as a rock for us in the NL first time round, yet was behind Toto and Gowling when we actually went up.

Had a great spell at Wrexham, didn't expect we'd see him back again!

It makes you wonder what his value is beyond the first team. I think he's good enough to keep first teamers on their toes. I also wonder how much of an effect he's had on the experience and development of Smith.

Plus, we all know how great he is as an ambassador of the club in and around the community.

We've got a good set of lads behind the scenes — Pearson, Davies, Coke and Croudson... fantastic examples for all our younger players. Well, players of any age and experience!

After all he'd given us during the seasons when we tried and failed to get out of the NL, I'd have been a bit sad that I didn't get to play more of a role in our promotion. But we never once heard a bad word from him in the press. Not a whinge or a regret or anything.

So when he chose to re-sign for us, under Hursty, who had him behind Toto and Gowling, he must have known he perhaps wouldn't be first choice every game.

It's no secret he wants a career in football after retiring from playing. He's got a sensible head on his shoulders and probably sees his time with us now as the perfect opportunity to learn and beef up his CV.
Posted by: bawarmy, February 18, 2023, 10:16pm; Reply: 14
Shaun is a fantastic person and a great ambassador for the club. He needs to be kept on in Some role when he retires.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, February 18, 2023, 10:29pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from bawarmy
Shaun is a fantastic person and a great ambassador for the club. He needs to be kept on in Some role when he retires.

Often bump into Shaun In Tesco's always got time to chat, top bloke.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 18, 2023, 10:50pm; Reply: 16
Kept on for his insider info and general good egg around the camp.
Like Scannell, seems to have a contract based on his personality, character, influence...not saying that's a bad thing as he clearly seems to be a decent pro.

However, loyalties aside, should we be paying wages for players who really aren't ever going to threaten the first team ?

Love his passion and commitment but in a black and white world , can we afford to pay someone as a player who really isnt going to play?

Posted by: ginnywings, February 18, 2023, 11:00pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from moosey_club
Kept on for his insider info and general good egg around the camp.
Like Scannell, seems to have a contract based on his personality, character, influence...not saying that's a bad thing as he clearly seems to be a decent pro.

However, loyalties aside, should we be paying wages for players who really aren't ever going to threaten the first team ?

Love his passion and commitment but in a black and white world , can we afford to pay someone as a player who really isnt going to play?

We gave him a 2 year deal when we were in the National League, which is fair enough, but we unexpectedly came up first time and he was suddenly surplus to requirements. His contract is up in June, so it's a moot point.

If we have some dead rubber games at the end of the season, he'll probably get a run out.
Posted by: bradzmilne, February 19, 2023, 8:06am; Reply: 18
Although you can’t do it for every player.

Shaun is someone that I would like to see involved with the club once his playing days are over & I suspect that this was a part of his offer when returning to the club.

Epitomises everything that a footballer should be, both on and away from the pitch.
Posted by: Rick12, February 19, 2023, 8:26am; Reply: 19
I remember watching Shaun Pearson  in the national league play for Grimsby ( I can't get to many games due to other factors, commitments) and being impressed by his commitment and passion. I remember coming away from the game thinking he was one of Grimsbys best players due to this. Having said that now Grimsby are in league 2 kind of makes sense from some comments on here that there is a level up in quality and Shaun needs more in his locker apart from commitment and passion  to nail down a spot in the first Grimsby 11?.
Posted by: lukeo, February 19, 2023, 9:43am; Reply: 20
I can only assume the club have offered him something long term off the pitch as let's be honest, he had it cushty at Wrexham. Very similar to his time here the 1st time around- He was loved and well thought of due to his commitment on and off the pitch.
Posted by: Rick12, February 19, 2023, 11:17am; Reply: 21
Quoted from lukeo
I can only assume the club have offered him something long term off the pitch as let's be honest, he had it cushty at Wrexham. Very similar to his time here the 1st time around- He was loved and well thought of due to his commitment on and off the pitch.
To be honest with you Lukeo I love players like Shaun. That battling spirit on the pitch. It's nice to see when that effort is appreciated by fans and they have some success at their respective clubs be it Grimsby or Wrexham as in Shauns  case. What I would  add is the uncertainty of lower league football can't be easy for him especially as his wife from what I've read has tailored her life around him . That and he also has children to look after. I hope he has something lined up or has been working towards something whilst playing once his football career is over. Sometimes from what I gather players in the lower league try to squeeze as much out of football as possible eg living in rented accommodation up and down the country whilst seeing there family as and when whereas others get fed up and just retire not prepared to continue with the  stresses of it all.

Posted by: Abdul19, February 19, 2023, 12:29pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from lukeo

They only offered him a one year deal though, so not that cushty.
Posted by: lukeo, February 19, 2023, 1:36pm; Reply: 23
I obviously don't know the in's and outs but every video I see he is always smiling and buzzing, he's always doing community work etc. Love him.
Posted by: heppy88, February 19, 2023, 2:00pm; Reply: 24
If I remember rightly Shaun was captain at Wrexham when he left. He had also been offered another contract with the Robins. Personally think its a shame he hasn't received more game time this season, as lets face it, in some of the games his inclusion couldn't of made the performance any worse! I wouldn't be surprised if a part of him doesn't regret leaving Wrexham when he did, as at least his time on the pitch wouldn't have diminished to next to nothing. Shaun certainly has the ability, as we all saw. But more than ability he demonstrated a passion and persistence that has often been missing since his first stint at the club.
Posted by: Heisenberg, February 19, 2023, 2:58pm; Reply: 25
I think he’s great, and I’m surprised how blunt some of the criticism is of him on this thread.

Obviously Hurst has him down the pecking order, but I think he’s a good deputy. He’s a player nearer to the Waterfall mould than the others.
Posted by: aldi_01, February 20, 2023, 6:46am; Reply: 26
Quoted from heppy88
If I remember rightly Shaun was captain at Wrexham when he left. He had also been offered another contract with the Robins. Personally think its a shame he hasn't received more game time this season, as lets face it, in some of the games his inclusion couldn't of made the performance any worse! I wouldn't be surprised if a part of him doesn't regret leaving Wrexham when he did, as at least his time on the pitch wouldn't have diminished to next to nothing. Shaun certainly has the ability, as we all saw. But more than ability he demonstrated a passion and persistence that has often been missing since his first stint at the club.

We’ve all seen how we swooped in and got him, they didn’t put up too much of a fight and he didn’t seem to need too long to decide to come back here…

He’s have known he wasn’t first choice here but there’s wider opportunities you’d imagine, not to mention he doesn’t have to work with Parkinson which must be a blessing.

Shaun is great on and off the pitch but if anyone thinks Pearson is a regular starter over Smith/Waterfall and Maher they’re on glue. Even he knows he’s not that good.

When we came up in 2016 there were times he struggled, there was talk of him going higher yet the offers that came in were from the conference…

He’s a great bloke to have around the place and when we’re 1-0 up at Southampton next week and we’re holding on, he’s your man but other than that, he’s just a valuable squad player.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 20, 2023, 8:29am; Reply: 27
Shaun is a great leader, even when not on the pitch.
He's a vital part of the squad, despite not playing IMO.
Posted by: toontown, February 20, 2023, 12:36pm; Reply: 28
Has shaun got 8 years with the club now? That's a helluva long time in the modern game, even if it is over 2 spells
Posted by: bawarmy, February 20, 2023, 1:42pm; Reply: 29
I hope he is kept on in some capacity. He is a fantastic ambassador for the club.
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 20, 2023, 3:59pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from aldi_01

When we came up in 2016 there were times he struggled, there was talk of him going higher yet the offers that came in were from the conference…

I don't think he did struggle to be honest.  No more so than Waterfall and Smith have at times this season.  We always looked a better bet with him in the team than we did Josh Gowling, who really did struggle which was a huge surprise, or the returning Andrew Boyce.  For his first test at League Two level, I don't think he did too badly at all.

We had 3 managers that season, 4 if you include Dave Moore's caretaker cameo, yet all 3 permanent managers ended up bringing him back into the side having started their tenures (or season) with him on the bench.  Perhaps he wasn't the prettiest of defenders but he brought something that they all valued.

The transition from the 2016 play-off team to the 2016 Football League team was one that should have improved.  Pearson, as with a few others, was someone who we failed to improve on.  Equally so the following summer we absolutely didn't improve on him and dramatically downgraded by bringing in Nathan Clarke and Karleigh Osbourne!

Posted by: ginnywings, February 20, 2023, 5:05pm; Reply: 31
I remember listening to a Town game featuring Shaun in league 2 when Buckley was co commentating and he said something along he lines of "he's a great defender when everything is in front of him, but he isn't sharp enough or quick enough to react when he gets turned and will probably never go higher than that level because of it".

Seems he was correct in his assessment.
Posted by: chaos33, February 20, 2023, 5:18pm; Reply: 32
That’s possibly true but I just think he’s an immense and lovable character - honest, passionate, supportive. Definitely someone you’d want on your staff. He barely gets a kick but he goes round the squad, encouraging, praising individuals. Putting himself second and the cause first. I think those qualities are rare. He’s been a brilliant servant and representative of this club and personifies our values.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 20, 2023, 5:39pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from chaos33
That’s possibly true but I just think he’s an immense and lovable character - honest, passionate, supportive. Definitely someone you’d want on your staff. He barely gets a kick but he goes round the squad, encouraging, praising individuals. Putting himself second and the cause first. I think those qualities are rare. He’s been a brilliant servant and representative of this club and personifies our values.

Agree with that wholeheartedly.

Whatever level you are good enough to reach in football, honesty and effort are always good traits to have and not all players apply themselves like Shaun does.
Posted by: rancido, February 20, 2023, 6:04pm; Reply: 34
The way he engages with the community, especially with young players, would make him a great asset with our youth set-up.
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 21, 2023, 9:54am; Reply: 35
Quoted from ginnywings
I remember listening to a Town game featuring Shaun in league 2 when Buckley was co commentating and he said something along he lines of "he's a great defender when everything is in front of him, but he isn't sharp enough or quick enough to react when he gets turned and will probably never go higher than that level because of it".

Seems he was correct in his assessment.

I think that's very fair.  But of pretty much every defender at this level too. Pearson, as with with Waterfall, would have played consistently at a higher level if he was faster.  It's what sets Smith apart from both of them, whilst not the finished product he'll have a very, very good career because he's got those extra attributes.

I think Pearson and Waterfall are sometimes unfairly labelled as just stoppers.  I don't doubt they see everything that the likes of Smith do, it's just they don't have the speed to react to it as quickly and effectively as he does.  Classic example of McAtee's equaliser against Solihull last June.  Smith read the play and stepped up to intercept the pass, using his speed as much as his awareness to turn the play over.  Pearson, Waterfall et al. would more often than not have stayed put because there's a higher risk of them not getting in front quick enough and getting rolled.

I hope we get to see Pearson at least one last time in a Town shirt.
Posted by: chaos33, February 21, 2023, 10:23am; Reply: 36
Would be great if we gave him a testimonial when he stops playing.
Posted by: monkeyboy, February 21, 2023, 2:31pm; Reply: 37
Shaun has been a great asset which in all honesty should have played for us a lot more than he did.
Not one person ever heard him grumble that i know of and is a consumate profesional, a real player for the younger ones to look upto.
Posted by: Posh Harry, February 24, 2023, 7:31am; Reply: 38
Random Shaun news.

He has been named in a Wrexham squad to play in a 7 a side tournament in the USA alongside Ryan reynolds and the other bloke, and some former Wrexham players or coaches.

Tells you how much he is thought of over there as well.
Posted by: Poojah, February 24, 2023, 8:21am; Reply: 39
Quoted from Posh Harry
Random Shaun news.

He has been named in a Wrexham squad to play in a 7 a side tournament in the USA alongside Ryan reynolds and the other bloke, and some former Wrexham players or coaches.

Tells you how much he is thought of over there as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64752979
Posted by: chaos33, February 24, 2023, 8:32am; Reply: 40
That’s brilliant for him.
Will always be one of my favourite people to play for GTFC. Sure Wrexham fans feel the same.
There aren’t too many like Shaun Pearson.  Absolute diamond.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, February 24, 2023, 9:05am; Reply: 41
Notable that he was the player that was interviewed by BBC on the launch of the Regulator. I'd like to think there is a long term role for him with us.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, February 24, 2023, 9:39am; Reply: 42
Has the club agreed to release him for this?

It's Cup Final weekend.
Posted by: chicaneuk, February 24, 2023, 10:37am; Reply: 43
Quoted from ivanosandwich
Has the club agreed to release him for this?

It's Cup Final weekend.

If he's getting hardly any game time anyway, I don't see why they wouldn't.
Posted by: heppy88, February 24, 2023, 11:06am; Reply: 44
Quoted from chicaneuk

If he's getting hardly any game time anyway, I don't see why they wouldn't.

This post made my morning, thanks.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 24, 2023, 11:01pm; Reply: 45
See Wrexham have just bought Barnett from Solihull to boost their failing attack ..🙄
Posted by: Heisenberg, February 24, 2023, 11:29pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from moosey_club
See Wrexham have just bought Barnett from Solihull to boost their failing attack ..🙄

I was impressed with him in the playoff final and wanted us to sign him, but again Wrexham get their man. Makes you wonder if jamey osborne has warned Solihull players off joining us. Of course, Hurst might not have been interested, but he certainly was in Dallas, and rumours suggest Sbarra too.

Disappointed he’s there, but not in the slightest bit surprised. If they go up, Dallas will be there too.
Posted by: SouthLakesMariner, February 24, 2023, 11:30pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from chaos33

If there was a new entry into the English Oxford Dictionary for “Pearson”, this would be the definition.
Posted by: Maringer, February 25, 2023, 8:00am; Reply: 48
Quoted from Heisenberg

I was impressed with him in the playoff final and wanted us to sign him, but again Wrexham get their man. Makes you wonder if jamey osborne has warned Solihull players off joining us. Of course, Hurst might not have been interested, but he certainly was in Dallas, and rumours suggest Sbarra too.

Disappointed he’s there, but not in the slightest bit surprised. If they go up, Dallas will be there too.

He looked a real handful against us last season. Whether or not we were interested in him, you'd imagine that Wrexham are probably paying him at least double what we could afford.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 25, 2023, 12:11pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Heisenberg

Solihull are 12 in the National league I’m not sure this obsession with their players is as warranted as some believe.
Posted by: oochiad, February 25, 2023, 12:34pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Solihull are 12 in the National league I’m not sure this obsession with their players is as warranted as some believe.

Well said. I don’t get it either. If they’re that good they wouldn’t be doing so badly this season.
Posted by: tashee69, February 25, 2023, 1:03pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Whilst I agree to some extent, you also have to remember that Clive Mendonca , Danny Coyne and John McDermott were all involved in relegation seasons with Grimsby. They weren’t too bad.
Posted by: ska face, February 25, 2023, 1:20pm; Reply: 52
Weren’t we meant to have been close to signing Barnett last season (summer ‘21) but he went to Solihull for more money? Would’ve been at Shrewsbury when Mcatee was there, Hurst gave them both their first pro contracts.

Either way, sure he’ll be on a proper wedge and will be enjoying a promotion this summer.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, February 25, 2023, 1:41pm; Reply: 53
You can have a lot of individually talented players but it might not get you what you want as a team. Just look at Paul Mullin, for example, he's the best faller downerer I have ever seen, but Wrexham are still in the National League.
Posted by: golfer, February 25, 2023, 1:43pm; Reply: 54
Pell
Posted by: ginnywings, February 25, 2023, 1:54pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from BeijingMariner
You can have a lot of individually talented players but it might not get you what you want as a team. Just look at Paul Mullin, for example, he's the best faller downerer I have ever seen, but Wrexham are still in the National League.

Dunno!.

We had a pretty good faller downerer ourselves once.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, February 25, 2023, 2:24pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from ginnywings

Dunno!.

We had a pretty good faller downerer ourselves once.

I was keeping an eye on the scores in NL last week and when Scunny went one down it was a penalty, socred by, surprise surprise, Paul Mullin. It's literally evey week. You might be right though, who was our best faller downerer?
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 25, 2023, 2:49pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from BeijingMariner

I was keeping an eye on the scores in NL last week and when Scunny went one down it was a penalty, socred by, surprise surprise, Paul Mullin. It's literally evey week. You might be right though, who was our best faller downerer?

Jack Lester?

Posted by: lukeo, February 25, 2023, 2:55pm; Reply: 58
Dorking 20/1 to win at Wrexham

Wtf
Posted by: moosey_club, February 25, 2023, 10:01pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from promotion plaice

Jack Lester?

Jack was a very clever player and tended to roll over the leg of his marker as he spun them...he would probably get a pen every week if he was in this era...Mullin initiates contact by throwing himself across a challenge or an incoming player....clever I suppose as it works but it's fcking cheating
Posted by: ginnywings, February 25, 2023, 10:08pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from promotion plaice

Jack Lester?

Aye!
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, February 25, 2023, 11:02pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from ginnywings

Aye!

And with better referee’s than the Sunday league refs that Mullins wins penalties off as well.

Posted by: grimsby pete, February 26, 2023, 2:50am; Reply: 62
Be honest if Mullins played for us would you complain if he got pens for us. ?
Posted by: Heisenberg, February 26, 2023, 7:36am; Reply: 63
Quoted from grimsby pete
Be honest if Mullins played for us would you complain if he got pens for us. ?

I would if we kept bloody missing them.
Posted by: Mayaman, February 26, 2023, 8:26am; Reply: 64
Quoted from SouthLakesMariner

If there was a new entry into the English Oxford Dictionary for “Pearson”, this would be the definition.

I tell you something; I'd like colleagues that are half the person Pearson is.  
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 12:52pm