16 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
GtfcGarner
March 11, 2023, 9:13am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,793
Gold Stars: 26
Best technical player I've probably seen at the club in recent years that has that glimpse of magic which don't think we've had commonly few off the top of my head: Connell, Hearn, Neilson, Bogle could get a slight nod. Never ever has he given less than 100% when playing for town and the fact he was willing to play through his shoulder problem for us after signing for Luton before being advised shows the lad he is. Hope he goes on to have an absolutely brilliant career as he's given me personally some of the best moments being a town fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 157
toontown
March 11, 2023, 9:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
You would expect mcatee to be on loan at league 1 level at least next year, and that's only if he doesn't make an impression for a position in the fringe of their championship squad during pre season with luton.
Obviously if luton were to make it to the premiership than they would have no need of mcatee and would have so much money his wages would be an irrelevance. They'd just loan him out, probably to a league 1 team but if for some reason he did want to come back here then they might not stand in his way as they would have other things to care about.
I have seen the rumours about what he said to fans after the game v Southampton but that was probably the emotion of the achievement and the reaction to the incredible support we brought. Also at the time there was probably a feeling amongst the players of, well we've just beaten Southampton, we can go on a winning run and make the playoffs again and who knows could be in league 1 next season. But we've followed that up with 1 point from 6.
Mcatee will want to play as high a level as possible so unless we are in league 1 next season (which we won't be) then he will leave. Even if by some miracle we were he'd surely try out at luton first unless they were in the prem in which case they wouldn't be interested I suppose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 157
Maringer
March 11, 2023, 9:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,646
Gold Stars: 189
Yeah, I reckon he'll be loaned out to a League 1 club next season as well. As long as Hurst knows what the lie of the land is by the summer because we can't afford another pre-season waiting around to see if players are going to join us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 157
toontown
March 11, 2023, 9:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
Yes that's right pal. To clarify I can't watch Grimsby that much due to other commitments and other pressing needs where life teaches you there are more important things than people kicking a ball about. I use to be real passionate about football when younger and still am to some extent but it's waned.

The club will always have a special place in my heart though .

But there's not watching that much, and there's not watching at all, even for vital games on TV or for matches available on the Internet now we're back in EFL.

Considering you make so much effort to post on here the lack of watching any games over a year and a half, when its so easy to do so, surprised me, and i wanted to check. That's all. Pal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 157
Rick12
March 11, 2023, 9:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from toontown

Considering you make so much effort to post on here the lack of watching any games over a year and a half, when its so easy to do so, surprised me, and i wanted to check. That's all. Pal.
It's ok but as stated I use to be genuinely a lot more passionate about Grimsby and football when younger. I  try to go to at least 1- 2 games a season at most . Problem is its all money linked now like most things in life are. It does reflect the fact that at whatever level its fan passion that drives the multimillion dollar industry of football. Once that ceases wages at respective levels of the game be it the riches of Manchester City or lower levels like Grimsby will start drying up and clubs will have to adapt.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 157
toontown
March 11, 2023, 9:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
It's ok but as stated I use to be genuinely a lot more passionate about Grimsby and football when younger. I  try to go to at least 1- 2 games a season at most . Problem is its all money linked now like most things in life are. It does reflect the fact that at whatever level its fan passion that drives the multimillion dollar industry of football. Once that ceases wages at respective levels of the game be it the riches of Manchester City or lower levels like Grimsby will start drying up and clubs will have to adapt.

There's absolutely no sign of it drying up (passion for football) quite the contrary.

I thought in the past the premier league bubble would burst, such as during the financial crash 10 years ago or so, or with the cost of living crisis now - but it hasn't. Its a lot more resilient than I thought.

I actually think technology is more of a threat to the prem - people getting these dodgy sticks that show you everything without paying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 157
lukeo
March 11, 2023, 10:32am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from Maringer
One of my friends said he was talking to somebody in the know who reckoned Luton were looking to offload him already as they realise he's unlikely ever to make it as a Championship player. No idea who this purported person in the know was or how he would get his information, but it wouldn't surprise me! Not enough moments this season to indicate he could potentially play two levels higher although the injury will obviously have disrupted the season for him.

I'm going to dare him to score a worldie against Brighton to prove me wrong!  

This is why I'm confused with the whole Luton thing. In my opinion, Pepple is awful. He can't even cut it in league 2 in my opinion.  
Are luton a club who buy willy nilly random people who they've done half a scouting job on, in hope 1 in 10 pulls through and they can sell on? Or did they just rush and mess up January buying for the sake of it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 157
Son of Cod
March 11, 2023, 12:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

Article dated 10 Mar 23. He's been no way near our best player in the past month or so.

Dated yesterday yep. Posted by *checks notes* Grimsby Live. Definitely not like them to regurgitate old material. Hurst clearly talking about the Crewe match from over a month ago giving McAtee confidence.

I said he's been one of our best players over the last month, which he has. He's consistently been in the top 3/4 performers in our lineup. Plenty of players like Maher, Hunt and Holohan have had isolated blinders but if we're looking at consistency over the last month for me we're talking McAtee, Waterfall and Glennon. Maybe Clifton and Crocombe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 157
lukeo
March 11, 2023, 1:21pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
I was questioning whether he should be playing when he first came back from his injury, then PH came out with how he felt.. but lately he's definitely getting back to his best. He's great to watch when he and the team are on form.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 157
louth_in_the_south
March 11, 2023, 1:41pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from toontown

He's already here on loan, so he has considered it and agreed to it.

So easy …. 🎣

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 157
16 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mcatee

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.