Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mcatee
Users Browsing Forum
Mappers and 299 Guests

Mcatee

This thread currently has 16,902 views. Print
16 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
March 10, 2023, 7:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,754
Gold Stars: 851
Has that been weighted against the league positions of the teams we were playing against at the time, or for the 4 goals scored against a Crewe reserve team in the cup?

It’s almost as if stats are completely meaningless and can be cherry picked to support almost any argument.

General rule of thumb in football is that you tend to do better if you have better players. Some people want us to drop our best player for a Norwich u21 with 10 professional appearances. That’s their opinion and they’re very much welcome to it.
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 157
chaos33
March 10, 2023, 7:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,978
Gold Stars: 361
What is your position on McAtee TRJL? Be specific.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 157
TheRealJohnLewis
March 10, 2023, 7:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from chaos33
What is your position on McAtee TRJL? Be specific.

Have you not been following what I have written in this thread?

McAtee is our most talented player, without a doubt, but as a team, we are not performing with him and getting the best out of him at the moment due to the way we are set up. Hopefully, when Taylor comes back this will no longer be a problem but the way the team are playing at present is not working for the team or McAtee. So we need to either change the team to suit the formation/tactics or change the formation/tactics to suit the team.

McAtee has the ability to change a game, but how many times has he actually changed a game this season? Can you honestly say his performances this year have been the standard of the rest of our players? Crocombe, Waterfall, Maher, Clifton, Holohan and Green have all performed better than him this season, in my opinion. (I have probably missed a couple as well) I am not talking about what he can do, he showed that against Newport, but we haven't seen anywhere near what we saw last season. To repeat, I put this down to the way we are playing, rather than McAtee himself.

Personally, I would like to see a change in tactics, when we play the ball on the ground we have the ability to rip teams apart, this long ball tactic is rendering most of our midfield useless and without a Tayloresque player long balls aren't going to work. Even with Lloyd coming in, and McAtee dropping into his favoured position and I don't think we have seen a massive improvement.

Is that what you are after?

Private Message
Reply: 112 - 157
TheRealJohnLewis
March 10, 2023, 7:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face
Has that been weighted against the league positions of the teams we were playing against at the time, or for the 4 goals scored against a Crewe reserve team in the cup?

It’s almost as if stats are completely meaningless and can be cherry picked to support almost any argument.

General rule of thumb in football is that you tend to do better if you have better players. Some people want us to drop our best player for a Norwich u21 with 10 professional appearances. That’s their opinion and they’re very much welcome to it.

I love the way you offer up stats, to back your argument up, then as soon as someone counters your argument with stats, suddenly stats become meaningless! The 3 goals without McAtee stat was perfectly cherry-picked!

By the way, I have not seen one person saying McAtee should be dropped for Dickson-Peters.
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 157
ska face
March 10, 2023, 8:04pm

Vodka Drinker
I love the way you’ve dug up a thread from 3 weeks ago, with a quote from early February, to try and justify your position. Look, you want to drop our best player, that’s fine - that’s your view and you’re welcome to it. You don’t need to keep trying to justify yourself and looking to me for validation, just be proud of your opinions.

As for his replacement, who else were you planning to replace him with? The kit man?
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 157
TheRealJohnLewis
March 10, 2023, 8:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face
I love the way you’ve dug up a thread from 3 weeks ago, with a quote from early February, to try and justify your position. Look, you want to drop our best player, that’s fine - that’s your view and you’re welcome to it. You don’t need to keep trying to justify yourself and looking to me for validation, just be proud of your opinions.

As for his replacement, who else were you planning to replace him with? The kit man?

The article was posted today!

https://twitter.com/Sam_Allen567/status/1634221588877922305

I think the word you used previously was "mince" wasn't it? I have NOT said he should be dropped, I said the formation tactics should be changed to suit. You are not so special that I need your approval.

Private Message
Reply: 115 - 157
ska face
March 10, 2023, 8:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
We are better as a collective, team, without him at the moment, even though he's the best individual.

The needs of the team should always outweigh the ability of one individual.

Funny way of saying “the formation tactics should be changed to suit”.
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 157
TheRealJohnLewis
March 10, 2023, 8:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Funny way of saying “the formation tactics should be changed to suit”.

I am not sure what is so difficult for you to understand! Those 2 statements hold true, the needs of the team will always be greater than any one individual and we were playing better before McAtee returned.

Personally, I would like to see a change in tactics,...

This was only a few post earlier, but congrats on the cherry picking!

Private Message
Reply: 117 - 157
Northbank Mariner
March 10, 2023, 8:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from pen penfras

The first game back after his injury, he came on and I thought we might do well with him in the team. He's been very ineffective since then. Partly due to the awful performances of the team and partly because he's been out of form. He still looks like he is the best player in our squad, but the end result was poor consistently.

He's our best player, but I'd be inclined to drop him after the FA cup to see what others can do. McAtee won't be here next season and we've got nothing to play for. Might as well see if somebody else is capable, although I suspect we already know the answer to that question

From what I'm hearing you could be wrong with that assumption, strong rumours Luton (Rob Edwards)have told him he'll be going out on loan again next season and he himself will only consider GTFC if that's the case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 157
HertsGTFC
March 10, 2023, 8:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

From what I'm hearing you could be wrong with that assumption, strong rumours Luton (Rob Edwards)have told him he'll be going out on loan again next season and he himself will only consider GTFC if that's the case.

Source?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 157
16 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mcatee

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.