February 18, 2023, 7:58am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 105
Quoted from HerveJosse

Another toxic optimist driven to insults

Genuinely interested how you think optimism can be toxic. We’ve seen how negativity can spread from fans to players to staff and damage a football club but I’m struggling to see how optimism can do the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 45
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 18, 2023, 8:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,907
Gold Stars: 179
Quoted from DB
You are quoting managers from 52 years ago, onwards. Times change, motorways are built and players' perspectives change. It's called moving the times, good and bad.

As I mentioned previously, it’s not imho the road and rail network that’s the issue. It’s the past couple of decades that’s stained the club. There will be this stigma attached to the club that will take time to repair and agents/ clubs that just possibly won’t even be interested in working with us.

What has to happen is the club as a whole has to dispel that theory. The fans play their part and am sure that there is work going on to repair bridges that have been burnt.

North east Lincolnshire, in some areas, is absolutely stunning. Given half the chance I would move back if my job allowed. Maybe am at that age where am thinking that a house in the countryside is a lot more endearing than a flat in a busy city centre

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 45
Rick12
February 18, 2023, 8:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from monkeyboy
Trouble is Hurst doesnt like skilful players, he likes grafters.  
We could do with a skill full player even in a team of 10 gratfers, we just never seem to get that, oh for the day when a new John Oster comes through the ranks but unfotunalty it will not happen under Hurst.
I've a feeling Hurst would want both in a player eg skilfull and hard working. Problem is there will be financial competition for these players with the highest bidder usually winning out at respective levels of ability in the football hierarchy.  Of the top of my head a player I've liked the look of recently from watching live games on BT Sport is Anthony Gordon. Whenever I've seen him trys and is a skillful operator. Little wonder Newcastle with their millions from their mainly  wealthy Arab 80 %/20% part  Indian and British investment have bought him. Just imagine having him on loan at Grimsby. He would tear up teams in league 2. Sadly players / youngsters like him or slightly less ability but still skillful with the work ethic will probably end up at clubs in the championship/ league 1 on loan to get much needed experience.

The hierarchy of football driven largely by money.  

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 45
Mayaman
February 18, 2023, 9:54am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

As I mentioned previously, it’s not imho the road and rail network that’s the issue. It’s the past couple of decades that’s stained the club. There will be this stigma attached to the club that will take time to repair and agents/ clubs that just possibly won’t even be interested in working with us.

What has to happen is the club as a whole has to dispel that theory. The fans play their part and am sure that there is work going on to repair bridges that have been burnt.

North east Lincolnshire, in some areas, is absolutely stunning. Given half the chance I would move back if my job allowed. Maybe am at that age where am thinking that a house in the countryside is a lot more endearing than a flat in a busy city centre

I concur.  No chance unless I come into money.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 45
jamesgtfc
February 18, 2023, 11:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Maybe the club could look at renting this house for new players who sign in the summer? Not far from the training ground and it has a snooker room!

[url]https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/124315268[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 45
Rick12
February 18, 2023, 11:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Maybe the club could look at renting this house for new players who sign in the summer? Not far from the training ground and it has a snooker room!

[url]https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/124315268[/url]
Not a bad idea James 🙂😉👍. Money isn't there to do it with Grimsby though.  I know what sometimes happens is younger players go out on loan and live alone in digs and the like  and some do struggle away from familiar area ,family and friends. Having a in built community of like minded pros is a decent idea though . Similar in many ways to up and coming footballers in Barcelona's famous residential youth academy La Masia where youngsters benefit from having like minded people with them all the time.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Location

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.