jamesgtfc
February 15, 2023, 8:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HerveJosse
PH  trying to persuade valued striker to come to Gtfc. It’s a  lovely area , people are great , housings cheap , sea on the doorstep.
Potential recruit Where do you live then ?
PH let me introduce you to the CEO
Potential recruit Where do you live then? .
PH me introduce you to the Chairman
Potential recruit Where do you live then?
PH let me introduce you to the co owner
Potential recruit Where do you live then?

It is somewhat ironic that everyone in charge of trying to negate the location issue and make Grimsby more appealing actually lives anywhere but Grimsby and the surrounding area.

I spoke to Woodsy last season and he said that when he came, the wages on offer were very good for the level and we offered him and others of that era a long enough deal to actually commit and move here.

Fast forward to now and all the money sloshing around, I'm not so sure we offer very good money for the level. It will limit us but we need to focus on our selling points. Cheap property prices and a very good non-league scene locally for older pros to move here and settle. For younger pros, it has to be that we don't stop the big money moves if they do the business.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 45
thefish
February 15, 2023, 9:30pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from GrimRob
Shock horror. Employees commute to work.

I wish some of our players had worked from home during the last couple of games…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 45
grimsby pete
February 16, 2023, 2:38am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from thefish

I wish some of our players had worked from home during the last couple of games…

Not at home but their minds were elsewhere.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 45
pen penfras
February 16, 2023, 5:34am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from grimsby pete

Not at home but their minds were elsewhere.

Over 12 games our form is 23rd. Are we blaming a cup run for the other 10?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 45
ska face
February 16, 2023, 6:35am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Good thread which, I’m sure, will shed new light on a previously undiscussed issue. I’ll be sure to follow with interest.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 45
DaleH
February 16, 2023, 9:48am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +816
Gold Stars: 168
There is probably a little more than 5,000 professional footballers in England.

As a career it is accepted that football consists of short term contracts, and that you are likely to have to constantly change where you live, or commute a reasonable distance.

There are very few players' that move to an area because of the job, and remain there indefinitely. Have a look at Grimsby itself as an area. Whilst there are ex players still living in the area as a result of getting a contract at Town and moving from elsewhere, it s a miniscule percentage of players that have played for Town in their lifetime.

We have to accept that in terms of location, we are out on limb, and that 50% of our catchment area is water. Does that mean that we should relocate our training to an area closer to larger populations, more accessible to better quality professionals? Not for me it doesn't. For me the training facility should be in and around Grimsby.

Signing for Grimsby doesn't have to mean living in Grimsby. There are plenty of very nice places to live away from the town, within easy commutable reach.

Time to resurrect my Fishy signature again. So here goes.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 45
Son of Cod
February 16, 2023, 9:56am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from HerveJosse

Another toxic optimist driven to insults

He didn't insult you...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 45
MuddyWaters
February 16, 2023, 9:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from DaleH
There is probably a little more than 5,000 professional footballers in England.

As a career it is accepted that football consists of short term contracts, and that you are likely to have to constantly change where you live, or commute a reasonable distance.

There are very few players' that move to an area because of the job, and remain there indefinitely. Have a look at Grimsby itself as an area. Whilst there are ex players still living in the area as a result of getting a contract at Town and moving from elsewhere, it s a miniscule percentage of players that have played for Town in their lifetime.

We have to accept that in terms of location, we are out on limb, and that 50% of our catchment area is water. Does that mean that we should relocate our training to an area closer to larger populations, more accessible to better quality professionals? Not for me it doesn't. For me the training facility should be in and around Grimsby.

Signing for Grimsby doesn't have to mean living in Grimsby. There are plenty of very nice places to live away from the town, within easy commutable reach.

Like SkegVegas?
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 45
February 16, 2023, 10:08am
Guest User
Quoted from ska face
Good thread which, I’m sure, will shed new light on a previously undiscussed issue. I’ll be sure to follow with interest.

Exactly this!  The 2 main issues as to why we can't get those top quality players are money and location, and those two have been discussed over and over again.  Until we get some interested parties to invest a considerable sum of money into the club, we will be shopping in Primark, not Harrods.  Frankly it's getting boring reading the same old complaints over and over again.  Instead of moaning about money and location why don't you tell us how YOU would solve the problem of getting quality players to come to play for Grimsby Town!

Reply: 19 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Location

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.