Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pitch inspection tomorrow
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 74 Guests

Pitch inspection tomorrow

This thread currently has 24,197 views. Print
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
GyMariner
January 21, 2023, 11:59am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +690
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
Shambolic, weak, indecision
No thought given to fans who have to travel any distance.
Methinks they should have had the balls to make a positive judgement at 1100.

No one can predict the weather and no one’s forcing them to travel. Unfortunately it’s one of those situations where the travelling fan has to make the decision themselves. It’s in the clubs best interest to do everything possible to get the game on, and if that means giving it a few more hours then so be it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 179
HerveJosse
January 21, 2023, 12:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,210
Gold Stars: 145
With the benefit of being in Cleethorpes now  I would travel if I was you . It would be an unbelievably bad decision to delay until 1 then say it’s off given the conditions now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 179
It Bites
January 21, 2023, 12:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,224
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from GyMariner

No one can predict the weather and no one’s forcing them to travel. Unfortunately it’s one of those situations where the travelling fan has to make the decision themselves. It’s in the clubs best interest to do everything possible to get the game on, and if that means giving it a few more hours then so be it.

Exactly right . It can't be all about Bob in Birmingham worrying about a wasted journey. It has to be about the majority in this case
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 179
Mayaman
January 21, 2023, 12:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,448
Gold Stars: 74
At junior school in spring / autumn it was the responsibility of the school dinner ladies (randomly) to test the grass at the start of lunch break to check whether the playing fields were safe enough for us to play on.

We’d all crowd around the head dinner lady, pressuring her, heckling her, intimidating her. Really getting inside her head. ‘We know where you live!’, ‘Let us on the grass you bïtch!’, ‘Are you wearing Calvin Klein Eternity? You should wear it more often’.

Of course. It would never work. The old boot was tougher than Dave Moore and twice as ugly.

It was a huge decision. Either a full size Adidas Mitre Delta on the football pitches or an airflow / tennis ball on the playground, dodging girls playing hopscotch.

You couldn’t pick teams until a decision was made either. You’d look a right muppet if you’d picked a team of cloggers who could welly the ball a long way up the field (the standard formation was 5-0-5) and ended up on the playground being tiki taka’d around the asphalt by a gaggle of small-footed geniuses.

Although it was the 90s, you’d think, you’d hope, that the varicose spinster would at least have had some sort of Japanese moisture meter to measure the dampness of the grass.

Alas. We were not dealing with a sophisticated lady. She almost certainly wiped forwards.

Instead, all she had was her leathery hands, years of nous and a hatred of males. She’d string it out like a Neapolitan washing line. Eating into the pitch time in one of England’s first and finest examples of clock managing shïthousery.

Then the inevitable shake of the head. A smirk lingering longer than her husband during their marriage.

There’d be wails from us all. ‘I HATE YOU. I HATE YOU’. The captains would speedily try and salvage the lunch match by working out which pre-pubescent boy still had the cojones to deal with this desperate disappointment. Others would go full breakdown and start crowding the dinner lady in a degrading attempt to make her change her decision.

She never would. She’d just stroll off. Still smirking. Unwilling to discuss it for at least an hour. By which time we’d be back in the classroom nursing all kinds of grazes, broken toes and dislocated ankles from dribbling this mouldy tennis ball around the playground for half an hour.

A brave lad would make a break for the field and knee slide across it to try to prove it’s dryness. All he’d get was a detention and a battering from his mum for ‘greening’ the legs of another pair of school trousers.

Happy days.

Pure genius.  I was completely there for a moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 179
Mayaman
January 21, 2023, 12:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Safe journey to all going to the game.  I feel a bit of a selfish twit now as i was concerned whether I would be scrolling through Netflix to find something I haven't seen that isn't a murder documentary. ANyway, UTM.   Micky gonna score today if it's on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 179
HerveJosse
January 21, 2023, 12:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,210
Gold Stars: 145
At junior school in spring / autumn it was the responsibility of the school dinner ladies (randomly) to test the grass at the start of lunch break to check whether the playing fields were safe enough for us to play on.

We’d all crowd around the head dinner lady, pressuring her, heckling her, intimidating her. Really getting inside her head. ‘We know where you live!’, ‘Let us on the grass you bïtch!’, ‘Are you wearing Calvin Klein Eternity? You should wear it more often’.

Of course. It would never work. The old boot was tougher than Dave Moore and twice as ugly.

It was a huge decision. Either a full size Adidas Mitre Delta on the football pitches or an airflow / tennis ball on the playground, dodging girls playing hopscotch.

You couldn’t pick teams until a decision was made either. You’d look a right muppet if you’d picked a team of cloggers who could welly the ball a long way up the field (the standard formation was 5-0-5) and ended up on the playground being tiki taka’d around the asphalt by a gaggle of small-footed geniuses.

Although it was the 90s, you’d think, you’d hope, that the varicose spinster would at least have had some sort of Japanese moisture meter to measure the dampness of the grass.

Alas. We were not dealing with a sophisticated lady. She almost certainly wiped forwards.

Instead, all she had was her leathery hands, years of nous and a hatred of males. She’d string it out like a Neapolitan washing line. Eating into the pitch time in one of England’s first and finest examples of clock managing shïthousery.

Then the inevitable shake of the head. A smirk lingering longer than her husband during their marriage.

There’d be wails from us all. ‘I HATE YOU. I HATE YOU’. The captains would speedily try and salvage the lunch match by working out which pre-pubescent boy still had the cojones to deal with this desperate disappointment. Others would go full breakdown and start crowding the dinner lady in a degrading attempt to make her change her decision.

She never would. She’d just stroll off. Still smirking. Unwilling to discuss it for at least an hour. By which time we’d be back in the classroom nursing all kinds of grazes, broken toes and dislocated ankles from dribbling this mouldy tennis ball around the playground for half an hour.

A brave lad would make a break for the field and knee slide across it to try to prove it’s dryness. All he’d get was a detention and a battering from his mum for ‘greening’ the legs of another pair of school trousers.

Happy days.

She was working at my school in the 1960s doing exactly the same thing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 179
devs
January 21, 2023, 12:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from GYinScuntland
Load of pants, probably won't get a decision filtered through before 1.30pm giving many people the choice of either setting off or no chance of making it.

That's the downside of 1pm...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 179
devs
January 21, 2023, 12:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from arryarryarry

It's no friggin use for those that want to travel or the likes of us that have a 110 mile round trip.

I have a 60-mile round trip - so I guess they go with majority of fans living within 5-mile radius?
They are damned if they do etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 179
Rodley Mariner
January 21, 2023, 12:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,279
Gold Stars: 185
People get so angry so quickly these days. If the pitch isn't playable at 11am then the ref and the club can't say the game is definitely on but if they think it's realistic it will be playable by 3pm then it seems right they don't call it off and do what they can. I'll have to leave before 1 but I'll have Humberside on and if it's off I'll swing round and go home.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 179
Mayaman
January 21, 2023, 12:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
People get so angry so quickly these days. If the pitch isn't playable at 11am then the ref and the club can't say the game is definitely on but if they think it's realistic it will be playable by 3pm then it seems right they don't call it off and do what they can. I'll have to leave before 1 but I'll have Humberside on and if it's off I'll swing round and go home.

Not so easy to do on a train.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 179
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pitch inspection tomorrow

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.