Private Message
Poojah
January 9, 2023, 11:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Unsurprising. He’s shown glimmers of talent but ultimately hasn’t really worked out for either party.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
diehardmariner
January 9, 2023, 11:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Don't think he's had anywhere near enough of a chance to be honest, but then I can't say I was ever enthused by what I saw with him.  

In different circumstances he might have been very useful, coming onto offer fresh legs for a more experienced strikeforce. But largely he wasn't what we needed.

All in, we need to bring in better than what he can offer at present.  Same can be said for Pepple and Richardson too.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
Mikey_345
January 9, 2023, 12:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,537
Gold Stars: 107
Strange one, think he's potentially got quite abit about him but, as always with young players, they need the game time - sadly we couldn't give him that.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
Stew0_0
January 9, 2023, 12:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
Personally I think Wearne is a better player and yet we shipped him out to Torquay and had Simmonds in the squad. Would like to see Wearne come back in to the fold now.

Hopefully Pepple will be heading back soon also and a new forward or forwards enter the building
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
Mikey_345
January 9, 2023, 12:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,537
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from Stew0_0
Personally I think Wearne is a better player and yet we shipped him out to Torquay and had Simmonds in the squad. Would like to see Wearne come back in to the fold now.

Hopefully Pepple will be heading back soon also and a new forward or forwards enter the building

Think Wearne needed abit of game time to continue to develop (or that's what PH said at the time). Would like to see him come back and get a chance now after his loan spell.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
ginnywings
January 9, 2023, 12:16pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Hopefully making way for an incoming.

Looked to have a bit of talent and scored a cracking goal in the cup that shall not be named, but it's not easy for young players to force their way into an EFL side.

I suspect his parent club will be lining up another loan for him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
LocalLadGTFC
January 9, 2023, 12:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,311
Gold Stars: 137
He’s already gone back, won’t be available this weekend like reported
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 26
lukeo
January 9, 2023, 12:53pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
Much prefer Richardson... I honestly didn't realise he was still with us, I assumed he was injured
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
pontoonlew
January 9, 2023, 1:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Looked great on debut against Newport and nosedived since. A lot of these young loanees don’t work out, scratch him up as another.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
Mariner_09
January 9, 2023, 1:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
This lad was also an attacking midfielder in the mould of McAtee/Richardson, given it was only until Jan, I think he was always a short term McAtee replacement. With McAtee back fit, you only need him and Ricco for that role.

With BK likely going back, from the sounds of it, that at least frees up a couple of loan spots in the squad. Although, I'd much prefer a few longish permanent signings it at least gives us more wriggle room.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
chaos33
January 9, 2023, 1:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,980
Gold Stars: 361
They need game time and a club that can give them that. Probably an injury crisis as a catalyst. Ultimately, it’s too risky for us to pick them a lot and if they don’t absolutely capitalise on the snippets of game time they get, probably by scoring a few, then their opportunities are very limited. The young lads are up against it at ambitious L2 clubs. Does make me chuckle when a few posters just write these lads off and declare glibly they’re ‘not up to it’ and ‘not good enough’. They’re at championship or prem clubs folks - there are professionals who know plenty about such things who know if they’re good enough. Certainly by the age of 20/21.
Ultimately, a loan of this type can’t really work if a young player like this gets 10 minutes every 3 weeks, or who doesn’t force his way into the league starting 11 despite scoring and doing ok in a minor cup game.  We need something different and so do they.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
AussieMariner
January 9, 2023, 1:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from chaos33
They need game time and a club that can give them that. Probably an injury crisis as a catalyst. Ultimately, it’s too risky for us to pick them a lot and if they don’t absolutely capitalise on the snippets of game time they get, probably by scoring a few, then their opportunities are very limited. The young lads are up against it at ambitious L2 clubs. Does make me chuckle when a few posters just write these lads off and declare glibly they’re ‘not up to it’ and ‘not good enough’. They’re at championship or prem clubs folks - there are professionals who know plenty about such things who know if they’re good enough. Certainly by the age of 20/21.
Ultimately, a loan of this type can’t really work if a young player like this gets 10 minutes every 3 weeks, or who doesn’t force his way into the league starting 11 despite scoring and doing ok in a minor cup game.  We need something different and so do they.

Don’t disagree that they get written off by some without really getting a chance to develop, but I do disagree that the prem or championship clubs necessarily know they are good enough.
One problem in the game at the moment is that those clubs have so much money they can afford to hoover up all and any youngsters who show a glimmer of talent, and just rely on the law of averages that a percentage of them will make the grade.
All you can really say is that if they are contracted to a big club they have the potential to be good enough, even at the age of 20/21.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
Rick12
January 9, 2023, 1:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Mikey_345
Strange one, think he's potentially got quite abit about him but, .
I saw him in the Man city game for the first time and thought he looked a live wire.  Would have liked him to stay longer at Grimsby.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
Kris2
January 9, 2023, 2:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Though he looked good in his debut but hasn't had the game time to really show what he can do. If we aren't interested in using him beyond 5 minute cameos then better they sort out something else for him. Hurst seems to have settled on what his best midfield is now and with his aversion to using his bench unless he has to, a lot of midfielders we bought in have not had a sniff. Didn't we pay a fee for Hunt? He's just sat on the bench as an unused sub with a handful of appearances off the bench since he came in.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
acko338
January 9, 2023, 4:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Gold Stars: 33
Richardson definitely looks tbe best prospect out of the 3 young loanees - not scared to run and put himself about for a young 'un and likes a tackle and battle, hence his recent booking. If he fine tunes his back side, he could be in double figures at Harry's expense by season end !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
chaos33
January 9, 2023, 7:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,980
Gold Stars: 361
Quoted from AussieMariner

Don’t disagree that they get written off by some without really getting a chance to develop, but I do disagree that the prem or championship clubs necessarily know they are good enough.
One problem in the game at the moment is that those clubs have so much money they can afford to hoover up all and any youngsters who show a glimmer of talent, and just rely on the law of averages that a percentage of them will make the grade.
All you can really say is that if they are contracted to a big club they have the potential to be good enough, even at the age of 20/21.

Well, the staff at these clubs watch players over scores of games and analysis is rigorous. Probably trumps some old git on here going ‘he’s not good enough’. I’d trust the professional judgement.

I repeat that, for their development, these young players need competitive games against players older and better than themselves. In this instance, we can’t offer Simmonds that. Somebody else might be able to.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
headingly_mariner
January 9, 2023, 7:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,393
Gold Stars: 120
Looks to have real quality but an utter lack of heart.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
HerveJosse
January 9, 2023, 8:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,217
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from chaos33

Well, the staff at these clubs watch players over scores of games and analysis is rigorous. Probably trumps some old git on here going ‘he’s not good enough’. I’d trust the professional judgement.

I repeat that, for their development, these young players need competitive games against players older and better than themselves. In this instance, we can’t offer Simmonds that. Somebody else might be able to.

This old git says he isn’t good enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
blundellpork
January 9, 2023, 8:13pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,665
Gold Stars: 32
There’s a huge difference between the safe and protected environment of a Premier League U23’s, and the much more physical competitive men’s football. I’d imagine it comes as quite a shock to many of them and takes time to adjust to. (I do realise that Birmingham are in the second tier).

Whilst Simmonds hasn’t been afforded much game time, he hasn’t shown enough during his time here to warrant any more. As such, it’s no surprise that he’s heading back to his parent club.

Sometimes loans work, and sometimes they don’t. Either way, he will probably be better for the experience when the next opportunity arises.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
toontown
January 9, 2023, 8:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from chaos33

Loads of a ademy players at these clubs are simply making up the numbers I'm afraid. If even 1 from a years cohort was good enough to make it as a regular in the premiership and save them millions in fees they're delighted. If the odd other one can be sold for money further down the pyramid to help with running costs they very pleased.

Regardless in order to have a chance of doing this they need loads of other players in that group to give the real prospects a team to play in and a squad to train with. Lots of these players are quite literally making up the numbers and just because they are in an academy squad doesn't mean that the academy staff have analysed them and believe they will make it as pros. Of course they will be trying to achieve the best successful rate they can  but even at the top end of youth football (u23s) most players won't be making it in the football league/premiership.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
AussieMariner
January 9, 2023, 9:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from chaos33

As I suggested I tend to agree that some people, old gits for example, make premature judgements without expertise or evidence.
I still maintain though that the professionals you cite are often just taking a punt on a young player on the basis of a hint of talent. It’s lazy but they do it because they can. The risk/reward equation is in their favour, and it falls to clubs like ours to take the real risk in playing them when there are points on the line.
Pepple is a classic example. I’m sure Luton ‘watched’ him over scores of games and that their analysis is rigorous, but those games were in Canada at a much lower standard and they have no real way of knowing if he’ll make the grade in the Championship. He still might, and I hope he does because he seems like a nice lad, but the probability is that he’s earning a lot more than someone like Harry Clifton purely on the off chance that he’ll have not only the talent but also the persistence and character to make it.
I just hope that Luton and their ilk have safeguards in place to help the majority who don’t make it to cope with the inevitable mental health issues that arise when their dreams, not to mention their outrageous salaries, are taken away.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
It Bites
January 9, 2023, 9:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,257
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from toontown

Loads of a ademy players at these clubs are simply making up the numbers I'm afraid. If even 1 from a years cohort was good enough to make it as a regular in the premiership and save them millions in fees they're delighted. If the odd other one can be sold for money further down the pyramid to help with running costs they very pleased.

Regardless in order to have a chance of doing this they need loads of other players in that group to give the real prospects a team to play in and a squad to train with. Lots of these players are quite literally making up the numbers and just because they are in an academy squad doesn't mean that the academy staff have analysed them and believe they will make it as pros. Of course they will be trying to achieve the best successful rate they can  but even at the top end of youth football (u23s) most players won't be making it in the football league/premiership.

Absolutely right . Some parents whose children are in academys forget that . They need enough players to play matches . They have their eye on a couple and if another breaks through it's a bonus . Most Tottenham youth end up at Barnet I'd they're lucky
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 26
Vance Warner
January 9, 2023, 9:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,831
Gold Stars: 105
Had Harry Clifton come through an elite academy there’s no way he would have played 200 games and no way he would be the player he is now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
MuddyWaters
January 9, 2023, 9:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Vance Warner
Had Harry Clifton come through an elite academy there’s no way he would have played 200 games and no way he would be the player he is now.

A bit of a generalisation. There’s several former elite academy graduates who are now playing in the Championship and League One. Josh Benson and Elliot Embleton to name but two. Both obviously as motivated as Harry. Admittedly, there are many others who fall by the wayside.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
jamesgtfc
January 9, 2023, 10:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from blundellpork
There’s a huge difference between the safe and protected environment of a Premier League U23’s, and the much more physical competitive men’s football. I’d imagine it comes as quite a shock to many of them and takes time to adjust to. (I do realise that Birmingham are in the second tier).

Whilst Simmonds hasn’t been afforded much game time, he hasn’t shown enough during his time here to warrant any more. As such, it’s no surprise that he’s heading back to his parent club.

Sometimes loans work, and sometimes they don’t. Either way, he will probably be better for the experience when the next opportunity arises.

Hurst had a bit of a pop in a recent interview about players not physically handling the difference from youth/U23 football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
HertsGTFC
January 9, 2023, 10:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Good luck to the lad. Amazes me on how anyone can make a true assessment of him on what we saw.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Simmonds heading back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.