3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner_09
January 9, 2023, 1:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
This lad was also an attacking midfielder in the mould of McAtee/Richardson, given it was only until Jan, I think he was always a short term McAtee replacement. With McAtee back fit, you only need him and Ricco for that role.

With BK likely going back, from the sounds of it, that at least frees up a couple of loan spots in the squad. Although, I'd much prefer a few longish permanent signings it at least gives us more wriggle room.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
chaos33
January 9, 2023, 1:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,978
Gold Stars: 361
They need game time and a club that can give them that. Probably an injury crisis as a catalyst. Ultimately, it’s too risky for us to pick them a lot and if they don’t absolutely capitalise on the snippets of game time they get, probably by scoring a few, then their opportunities are very limited. The young lads are up against it at ambitious L2 clubs. Does make me chuckle when a few posters just write these lads off and declare glibly they’re ‘not up to it’ and ‘not good enough’. They’re at championship or prem clubs folks - there are professionals who know plenty about such things who know if they’re good enough. Certainly by the age of 20/21.
Ultimately, a loan of this type can’t really work if a young player like this gets 10 minutes every 3 weeks, or who doesn’t force his way into the league starting 11 despite scoring and doing ok in a minor cup game.  We need something different and so do they.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
AussieMariner
January 9, 2023, 1:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from chaos33
They need game time and a club that can give them that. Probably an injury crisis as a catalyst. Ultimately, it’s too risky for us to pick them a lot and if they don’t absolutely capitalise on the snippets of game time they get, probably by scoring a few, then their opportunities are very limited. The young lads are up against it at ambitious L2 clubs. Does make me chuckle when a few posters just write these lads off and declare glibly they’re ‘not up to it’ and ‘not good enough’. They’re at championship or prem clubs folks - there are professionals who know plenty about such things who know if they’re good enough. Certainly by the age of 20/21.
Ultimately, a loan of this type can’t really work if a young player like this gets 10 minutes every 3 weeks, or who doesn’t force his way into the league starting 11 despite scoring and doing ok in a minor cup game.  We need something different and so do they.

Don’t disagree that they get written off by some without really getting a chance to develop, but I do disagree that the prem or championship clubs necessarily know they are good enough.
One problem in the game at the moment is that those clubs have so much money they can afford to hoover up all and any youngsters who show a glimmer of talent, and just rely on the law of averages that a percentage of them will make the grade.
All you can really say is that if they are contracted to a big club they have the potential to be good enough, even at the age of 20/21.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
Rick12
January 9, 2023, 1:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Mikey_345
Strange one, think he's potentially got quite abit about him but, .
I saw him in the Man city game for the first time and thought he looked a live wire.  Would have liked him to stay longer at Grimsby.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
Kris2
January 9, 2023, 2:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Though he looked good in his debut but hasn't had the game time to really show what he can do. If we aren't interested in using him beyond 5 minute cameos then better they sort out something else for him. Hurst seems to have settled on what his best midfield is now and with his aversion to using his bench unless he has to, a lot of midfielders we bought in have not had a sniff. Didn't we pay a fee for Hunt? He's just sat on the bench as an unused sub with a handful of appearances off the bench since he came in.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
acko338
January 9, 2023, 4:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Gold Stars: 33
Richardson definitely looks tbe best prospect out of the 3 young loanees - not scared to run and put himself about for a young 'un and likes a tackle and battle, hence his recent booking. If he fine tunes his back side, he could be in double figures at Harry's expense by season end !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
chaos33
January 9, 2023, 7:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,978
Gold Stars: 361
Quoted from AussieMariner

Don’t disagree that they get written off by some without really getting a chance to develop, but I do disagree that the prem or championship clubs necessarily know they are good enough.
One problem in the game at the moment is that those clubs have so much money they can afford to hoover up all and any youngsters who show a glimmer of talent, and just rely on the law of averages that a percentage of them will make the grade.
All you can really say is that if they are contracted to a big club they have the potential to be good enough, even at the age of 20/21.

Well, the staff at these clubs watch players over scores of games and analysis is rigorous. Probably trumps some old git on here going ‘he’s not good enough’. I’d trust the professional judgement.

I repeat that, for their development, these young players need competitive games against players older and better than themselves. In this instance, we can’t offer Simmonds that. Somebody else might be able to.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
headingly_mariner
January 9, 2023, 7:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Looks to have real quality but an utter lack of heart.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
HerveJosse
January 9, 2023, 8:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from chaos33

Well, the staff at these clubs watch players over scores of games and analysis is rigorous. Probably trumps some old git on here going ‘he’s not good enough’. I’d trust the professional judgement.

I repeat that, for their development, these young players need competitive games against players older and better than themselves. In this instance, we can’t offer Simmonds that. Somebody else might be able to.

This old git says he isn’t good enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
blundellpork
January 9, 2023, 8:13pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,665
Gold Stars: 32
There’s a huge difference between the safe and protected environment of a Premier League U23’s, and the much more physical competitive men’s football. I’d imagine it comes as quite a shock to many of them and takes time to adjust to. (I do realise that Birmingham are in the second tier).

Whilst Simmonds hasn’t been afforded much game time, he hasn’t shown enough during his time here to warrant any more. As such, it’s no surprise that he’s heading back to his parent club.

Sometimes loans work, and sometimes they don’t. Either way, he will probably be better for the experience when the next opportunity arises.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Simmonds heading back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.