4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
January 7, 2023, 7:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,490
Gold Stars: 536
Not a game for the Ages but the better team won. We stood up to be counted against a physical side and matched them. 2nd half we outplayed them, just so happy walking out BP.

I was critical of Green the other week, he was outstanding today and my clear MOM alongside an excellent Holohan.

PH’s switch to 3 at the back with Efete won us the game IMO. Back 3 very solid.

We all deserve this, as fans we’ve suffered a lot over the last 20 years, please give us the draw we all crave tomorrow
Logged Offline
Private Message
DB
January 7, 2023, 7:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Happy Times

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 33
LocalLadGTFC
January 7, 2023, 7:53pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,311
Gold Stars: 137
Think Kieran Green has been exceptional since coming in the side, he’s a real shithouse and his technical ability is rather overshadowed by the dirty work he does off the ball because he’s really sound on it. I think we’ve got a real steal off Halifax with him and Maher.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 33
Wiley2405
January 7, 2023, 7:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +663
Gold Stars: 20
Thought first half we stood off and invited too much pressure and let them have to ball too much, but in hindsight they were poor and it worked as it gave Hurst time to assess the match and we came out much better and got the goal albeit a fortunate goal. After we scored we never looked like conceeding. Hard fought win. Good draw please.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
promotion plaice
January 7, 2023, 7:58pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

Fair play to the Burton fans, their drums upped the atmosphere.

The home fans were somewhat silent tonight but heyho, we're in the next round and we can only dream who we draw.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 33
pontoonlew
January 7, 2023, 8:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Couldn’t understand the criticism of Green recently and he’s proven any doubters wrong there with a superb performance.

First half was crap but the fact Burton were just as bad gave me confidence kicking with the wind into the Pontoon. Could’ve been more in the end and it should’ve been wrapped up but for one of the worst penalty calls you’re ever likely to see, it’s hilariously bad.

The players and fans deserve a big draw, but with a lot of the big boys playing each other, the chances of that are still slim. Another winnable home game and a crack at round 5(!) would be a very acceptable second prize.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 33
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
January 7, 2023, 8:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from promotion plaice

Fair play to the Burton fans, their drums upped the atmosphere.

The home fans were somewhat silent tonight but heyho, we're in the next round and we can only dream who we draw.

Same again in R4.

You get to the match 5 hours early.

I’ll watch it on a glitchy illegal stream on PolskiSklepTwoSistersProbablyLesbiansImJustWatching.pl.              
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
DB
January 7, 2023, 8:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
You know I have health issues so a big thank you to the 5092 Town fans who turned up to give their support, also 355 from Burton making a gate of 5447.
A home tie next round and we fill BP or an away tie and fill the coffers.
UTM to one and all.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 33
promotion plaice
January 7, 2023, 8:17pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

Same again in R4.

You get to the match 5 hours early.

I’ll watch it on a glitchy illegal stream on PolskiSklepTwoSistersProbablyLesbiansImJustWatching.pl.              

You've lost me?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
January 7, 2023, 8:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from promotion plaice

You've lost me?

I’m superstitious.

You need to get the time wrong again and turn up massively early and I need to watch the match in my pants with a flickering feed on my lap.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 33
hampshiremariner
January 7, 2023, 8:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,050
Gold Stars: 35
The old fight and stubborness is back and we outplayed them in the second half. Everyone’s mood is lifted. Well played, lads. Hope Luke is OK fot the next match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
lukeo
January 7, 2023, 8:23pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
My app worked perfectly fine in polish  

Anyway... terrible game. Terrible conditions. Terrible ref.
But we won and we're through to round 4. Very excited to see who we get next... knowing our luck Wrexham away or the winners of Boreham Wood v Accrington
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
ginnywings
January 7, 2023, 8:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Magnificent second half display, where we stopped playing to their strengths and got the ball down and played. First half we couldn't lay a glove on them and were getting physically overpowered. We were giving the ball away as soon as we got it, but apart from a mishit cross the Max put over the bar, they presented little danger in truth.

Was a proper cup tie second half with the wind and rain swirling around and we pushed them back for most of it.

Thought our Achilles heel would come back to haunt us and we wouldn't get the goal we deserved, but it came with a bit of luck and we never looked like conceding an equaliser.

All the players did their jobs, with Maher and Holohan particularly good, but Green was colossal and my MOM. He is quickly turning into my favourite player. Richardson did well keeping possession when he came on and gave us something we'd been lacking first half.

Another wedge of cash in the coffers and hopefully a juicy draw to come.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
nickmariners
January 7, 2023, 8:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from lukeo
My app worked perfectly fine in polish  

Anyway... terrible game. Terrible conditions. Terrible ref.
But we won and we're through to round 4. Very excited to see who we get next... knowing our luck Wrexham away or the winners of Boreham Wood v Accrington

"Terrible game".

Seriously?

It was a v enthralling match for me and the group around where I sit. A couple of really great passages from Town - Holahan's run through penalty area, Richardson winning the ball, bamboozled Burton defender going forward on left wing; and numerous good crosses and cute angled balls from Town. Khan's amazing energy, Green's closing down and all the rest of what he contributed.

That's entertainment.

You're right about the ref though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
lukeo
January 7, 2023, 8:38pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
I've said previously I like Richardson and felt he brought alot in the small amount of time he played. Oozes class.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
LH
January 7, 2023, 8:58pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,567
Gold Stars: 174
We’re clearly playing in the wrong league - we should be in League One and we’d be runaway leaders. Not a classic but who cares - the Fourth Round of the FA Cup has seemed a distant dream in most season in the last 20 years but we’ve finally earned a slice of football fortune so let’s hope we get it.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
MuddyWaters
January 7, 2023, 9:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Green outstanding the whole game, the rest pretty good second half. Max had very little to do so happy days, time for a big club away next for a big pay day before the window closes. UTM.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
Perkins
January 7, 2023, 9:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
According to the Burton fans forum we are an average national league side.
What does it make them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 7, 2023, 9:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,765
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Perkins
According to the Burton fans forum we are an average national league side.
What does it make them.

First half we probably were but in reality they still couldn’t trouble our keeper, second half we were the better side and they didn’t have one shot on target and looked a very poor side. Special mention to their number 5 who I believe kicked every ball he received into the stands!!

Well done town deserved win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
ska face
January 7, 2023, 9:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Knew we’d win that as soon as I saw Terry Taylor in the middle for them. Hopeless waif tosspiece, he’ll be looking at another relegation on his CV come the end of the season.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
Theimperialcoroner
January 7, 2023, 9:54pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,258
Gold Stars: 102
One of those clearances was a very rare bird indeed. It landed on the roof of the Findus!

Once we started working hard and believing in ourselves we bossed it. A slip from McAtee, a non-penalty and an inch past the post meant it was tighter than it really needed to be. Burton were just a physical endeavour and that’s about it.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
arryarryarry
January 7, 2023, 10:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from nickmariners

"Terrible game".

Seriously?

It was a v enthralling match for me and the group around where I sit. A couple of really great passages from Town - Holahan's run through penalty area, Richardson winning the ball, bamboozled Burton defender going forward on left wing; and numerous good crosses and cute angled balls from Town. Khan's amazing energy, Green's closing down and all the rest of what he contributed.

That's entertainment.

You're right about the ref though.

I thought the first half was very poor, we hardly looked up for it, Burton looked the better side but thankfully were crap up front. For me Hurst got his tactics wrong by playing Kiernan as a lone striker, for all his running nothing came from it and Mcatee just wasn't getting in the game enough.

Second half we pushed more players in forward positions but it showed just what we were missing up front when Richardson came on and thankfully his bottom got in the way of Clifton's shot.

In the end we deserved to win but made hard work of it especially in the first half.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
CSLM
January 7, 2023, 10:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
Great win. Just felt it was there for the taking as the second half went on. The midfielders were great at winning the ball and in the second half started to do something with it instead of hoofing it without looking.
Not really seen him mentioned, which is unusual, but I think Efete deserves a mention. He won virtually everything especially in the air.
Noticed a couple of people saying McAtee didn't have a great game but I thought he did well and you can clearly see he is a level above. I would say the same about Smith most of the time.
Burton were poor and the lack of anything after the goal doesn't look good for them.
Hopefully we'll get a good draw tomorrow!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
Croxton
January 7, 2023, 10:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from arryarryarry

I thought the first half was very poor, we hardly looked up for it, Burton looked the better side but thankfully were crap up front. For me Hurst got his tactics wrong by playing Kiernan as a lone striker, for all his running nothing came from it and Mcatee just wasn't getting in the game enough.

Second half we pushed more players in forward positions but it showed just what we were missing up front when Richardson came on and thankfully his bottom got in the way of Clifton's shot.

In the end we deserved to win but made hard work of it especially in the first half.

Agree with most of that. It was difficult to make out what the tactics were. Crocombe had no consistent target to aim for with Efete further back after last week. Kiernan and McAtee avoid jumping for the headers anyhow but too many goalkicks went centrally. Thought Holohan was too hesitant in the first half and only came alive in the last 25min after half time when he was more energised.

Apart from Harry's energy and Maher's organisation the standout of the game for me was the cameo from Richardson. If we can't get Vernam perhaps we can do a summer deal with Lewis for 2023 season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
HertsGTFC
January 7, 2023, 11:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Credit to the players they turned the game around after a really poor first half where we showed a pretty poor L1 side too much respect.

Everyone can be proud of their efforts today and the best team are in the hat.

Thought Green was magnificent and it was Interesting to see that Hurst stick with 3 at the back and giving Michee the responsibility which he took head on.

2nd clean sheet in a row and we’ve managed to hold on to a lead twice too.

Well done Town!

UTM!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
Mayaman
January 8, 2023, 1:05am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Grimsby fans are never happy.  We actually win and you all keep wanting a draw
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
BeijingMariner
January 8, 2023, 1:24am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
My favourite quote from their forum:

1. "Dino has had his chance.Need complete change."

2. "Be interested to see who you think we should replacpe him with"

3. "How about the Grimsby manager."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
aldi_01
January 8, 2023, 6:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
First half was a half of football to forget. Dreadful game. For all their huff and puff, Crocombe had excrement all to do.

Second half only one side tried to win and that was us. On another day Kiernan buried his chance, Mcatee doesn’t slip and we get a penalty, a 3/4-0 win and it looks comfortable.

In the end we settled for 1-0 and that’s enough, I never felt Burton were a threat and it’s clear to see why they’re struggling. Another team from the division above dispatched…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
fishcake63
January 8, 2023, 6:37am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
poor game great result now can we get the bit of luck we deserve in the 4th round draw ? would love one of the sheffield clubs at home or a man u away
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
January 8, 2023, 7:51am
Guest User
They came flying out in the first ten minutes and I thought it was going to be all over by half time. Going in at 0-0 was surprising to say the least. Second half, no comparison. They never looked like scoring, especially once we’d scored. Wasn’t remotely nervous in the last ten minutes, they couldn’t do a thing right.

Green my MOM, exactly the sort of player we’ve been missing for years.

Really enjoyed that second half. Now watch us get Wrexham.  
Reply: 29 - 33
pontoonlew
January 8, 2023, 8:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from CSLM
Great win. Just felt it was there for the taking as the second half went on. The midfielders were great at winning the ball and in the second half started to do something with it instead of hoofing it without looking.
Not really seen him mentioned, which is unusual, but I think Efete deserves a mention. He won virtually everything especially in the air.
Noticed a couple of people saying McAtee didn't have a great game but I thought he did well and you can clearly see he is a level above. I would say the same about Smith most of the time.
Burton were poor and the lack of anything after the goal doesn't look good for them.
Hopefully we'll get a good draw tomorrow!!!!!!!!

Agree re McAtee, his quality of touch and delivery was very good yesterday, it’s quite evident that he’s a level above.

I actually think he’s gone up a notch in that respect, he’s just not quite dominating games like he did. I do think having to play further up is the reason for that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
Oly1987
January 8, 2023, 8:33am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
First half was one to forget i think we gave Burton too much respect and our central midfield were anonymous though credit to the defence we never were particularly troubled. Burton were bullies and put in some very "robust" tackles which the ref let slide for far too long until he finally got his cards out in the second half. Speaking of the second half Hursty had obviously said the right things at half time because we came out flying and really went at them. Credit to Holohan and Green because they looked like different players with Gav showing good dribbling and Green threading some excellent passes. Despite all this we huffed and puffed for a goal but I have to say it felt like if anyone was going to win it would be us. Onwards to the 4th round!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 33
Maringer
January 8, 2023, 9:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,646
Gold Stars: 189
To be honest, I thought we'd be in for a tough match seeing the size of them and the fact that Waterfall was absent. However, despite their early pressure, we defended very solidly and I never really felt like we were in too much trouble. The only thing Crocombe had to do was tip over a mishit cross and catch a few balls. What didn't help during the first 20 minutes or so was that we weren't finding our man with the passes out in midfield and they were able to cut them out too often which led to a lot more pressure. I thought we had settled by half-time and they looked very susceptible to the ball over the top with some good running by Kiernan and McAtee. Just never quite found the right pass when we did break forward.

In the second half, they barely had a kick but we certainly missed our chances to put them away. At least we nicked the winner which was the least we deserved. I'm not quite sure why there is so much breathless praise of Richardson who did fine when he came on but nothing I saw was particularly noteworthy. Good to have him back as an option off the bench, however.

On the other hand, I still struggle to see what Orsi can add as I've yet to see him do anything of note. If we do sign one or two strikers as hoped/expected, I'm not sure he'll be getting much game time. A loan to the National League, perhaps?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
immariner
January 8, 2023, 9:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Game of two halves as they say. First 20 minutes especially felt like a game of how quickly can we give it back to them, control and passing was abysmal. Holohan especially off it. Came into it as the half progressed but in truth,.despite all of Burton's possession they never looked that threatening.

Second half much better, on the front foot. Created a couple of decent opportunities and it looked like Kiernan really should have squared the opportunity he put narrowly wide. Richardson came on and took us up another gear with his direct running, which he has done a few times coming off the bench. Got a bit lucky with the goal but it was fully deserved. Saw the game out easily, Burton barely putting a glove on us and should have had the opportunity to seal victory from the spot but the ref has had a brain fart. Holohan brilliant, a completely different player from the first half. Smith back to his best and shout outs to Efete,.Clifton and Green who were also excellent in that second half.

One aside, the 100 Town in the corner of the Osmond put the Pontoon to shame for 2/3rds of the game. Fair play to them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.