pontoonlew
January 8, 2023, 8:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from CSLM
Great win. Just felt it was there for the taking as the second half went on. The midfielders were great at winning the ball and in the second half started to do something with it instead of hoofing it without looking.
Not really seen him mentioned, which is unusual, but I think Efete deserves a mention. He won virtually everything especially in the air.
Noticed a couple of people saying McAtee didn't have a great game but I thought he did well and you can clearly see he is a level above. I would say the same about Smith most of the time.
Burton were poor and the lack of anything after the goal doesn't look good for them.
Hopefully we'll get a good draw tomorrow!!!!!!!!

Agree re McAtee, his quality of touch and delivery was very good yesterday, it’s quite evident that he’s a level above.

I actually think he’s gone up a notch in that respect, he’s just not quite dominating games like he did. I do think having to play further up is the reason for that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
Oly1987
January 8, 2023, 8:33am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
First half was one to forget i think we gave Burton too much respect and our central midfield were anonymous though credit to the defence we never were particularly troubled. Burton were bullies and put in some very "robust" tackles which the ref let slide for far too long until he finally got his cards out in the second half. Speaking of the second half Hursty had obviously said the right things at half time because we came out flying and really went at them. Credit to Holohan and Green because they looked like different players with Gav showing good dribbling and Green threading some excellent passes. Despite all this we huffed and puffed for a goal but I have to say it felt like if anyone was going to win it would be us. Onwards to the 4th round!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 33
Maringer
January 8, 2023, 9:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,646
Gold Stars: 189
To be honest, I thought we'd be in for a tough match seeing the size of them and the fact that Waterfall was absent. However, despite their early pressure, we defended very solidly and I never really felt like we were in too much trouble. The only thing Crocombe had to do was tip over a mishit cross and catch a few balls. What didn't help during the first 20 minutes or so was that we weren't finding our man with the passes out in midfield and they were able to cut them out too often which led to a lot more pressure. I thought we had settled by half-time and they looked very susceptible to the ball over the top with some good running by Kiernan and McAtee. Just never quite found the right pass when we did break forward.

In the second half, they barely had a kick but we certainly missed our chances to put them away. At least we nicked the winner which was the least we deserved. I'm not quite sure why there is so much breathless praise of Richardson who did fine when he came on but nothing I saw was particularly noteworthy. Good to have him back as an option off the bench, however.

On the other hand, I still struggle to see what Orsi can add as I've yet to see him do anything of note. If we do sign one or two strikers as hoped/expected, I'm not sure he'll be getting much game time. A loan to the National League, perhaps?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
immariner
January 8, 2023, 9:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Game of two halves as they say. First 20 minutes especially felt like a game of how quickly can we give it back to them, control and passing was abysmal. Holohan especially off it. Came into it as the half progressed but in truth,.despite all of Burton's possession they never looked that threatening.

Second half much better, on the front foot. Created a couple of decent opportunities and it looked like Kiernan really should have squared the opportunity he put narrowly wide. Richardson came on and took us up another gear with his direct running, which he has done a few times coming off the bench. Got a bit lucky with the goal but it was fully deserved. Saw the game out easily, Burton barely putting a glove on us and should have had the opportunity to seal victory from the spot but the ref has had a brain fart. Holohan brilliant, a completely different player from the first half. Smith back to his best and shout outs to Efete,.Clifton and Green who were also excellent in that second half.

One aside, the 100 Town in the corner of the Osmond put the Pontoon to shame for 2/3rds of the game. Fair play to them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.