5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
January 5, 2023, 4:50pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

Do you write your team name on the back of a cigarette packet too?  - I'm only joking btw

[youtube]6PbP_pIgR4s[/youtube]

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 41
coddy60
January 5, 2023, 5:00pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13

Who was the first chap to really analyse football games?  Can't remember off the top of my head but anyway he discovered that the vast majority of goals were scored in 3 passes or less from his data, and everyone immediately decided that this meant long ball was the best way to score goals without thinking about the fact a high press to turnover ball near the opposition box would also result in a '3 passes or less' goal etc.   The data is only as good as the person reading it really

John Beck?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 41
DB
January 5, 2023, 5:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390

Who was the first chap to really analyse football games?  Can't remember off the top of my head but anyway he discovered that the vast majority of goals were scored in 3 passes or less from his data, and everyone immediately decided that this meant long ball was the best way to score goals without thinking about the fact a high press to turnover ball near the opposition box would also result in a '3 passes or less' goal etc.   The data is only as good as the person reading it really

Like him or loathe him I believe the late Don Revie was one of the first to keep an analysis of players. Whether he included data on the actual games or not I don't know.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 41
lew chaterleys lover
January 5, 2023, 5:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237

Howard Wilkinson maybe?

You can often reach the wrong conclusions when reading data, and what might be a solution for one team, would not work for another with the same data.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 41
RichMariner
January 5, 2023, 5:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,159
Gold Stars: 210
My general issue with xG is two fold:

a) I feel it's very on-trend, and far too many kids are crying over it as if it's more worthy than the goals column

b) who questions the validity of how it's calculated? For example, looking at the data provided during that Salford game, it looks like Khan's chance (which he scored) was about 0.4, so 40% of the time from that position, in those exact circumstances, he'll score, 60% of the time he'd be expected to miss.

But then you look at Salford's fourth. It jumps by about 0.3, yet the bloke heads it in, relatively unchallenged, three yards out. Is the data suggesting he'd only likely convert that chance 30% of the time? Because most footballers will bury a header from that range. I'd personally put it at 0.8 or 0.9.

So who is making these decisions? Obviously someone is watching; something (programmatic or robotic) is measuring. I'd question the quality of that programming.

We might still be forming opinions on an unreliable methodology. People have bought into it, almost without question or scrutiny.

It's trying to make something subjective, objective. It's not as black and white as 'did the ball cross the line' or 'was he offside'? Attaching value to a unique set of circumstances is incredibly difficult to put a number to, so there's masses of mistrust from me, and mistrust towards people who put too much faith/value in it (for now).

Maybe I need educating more, but I think it's healthy to question the validity of most things.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 24 - 41
ginnywings
January 5, 2023, 5:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
All teams do data analysis now, suggesting there is little to be gained by doing so, because everyone else is.

But if you don't do it, then you would be at a disadvantage compared to others, so it's become a big part of the game.

I think that is why some fans are baffled by team selections and the use of substitutes during games. The management have training data and up to the minute match data that we are not privy to.

For instance, injuries are more likely to occur when a players recovery rate has dropped below a certain parameter and can be the reason he's replaced, even though he appears to be having a good game.

We often hear fans say how someone is blowing out of his ar$e and they couldn't understand why he was kept on, but the data is probably telling a different story.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 41
LN8Mariner
January 5, 2023, 6:03pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +329
Gold Stars: 9

Charles Hughes

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 41
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 5, 2023, 6:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,907
Gold Stars: 179
Quoted from Les Brechin
Not into all this xG crap.

The only statistic that matters is how many times you put the ball into the net!

And how many the ball ends up In yours !

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 41
TownSNAFU5
January 5, 2023, 9:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
Data can be selective and used to support any point of view needed.

I saw a stat this week that Leeds had faced 55 good chances against them this season.  The most in the PL. The number includes goals against and chances that should have conceded a goal.

Despite this Leeds are not in the bottom 3 and will probably stay up.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 41
jamesgtfc
January 5, 2023, 9:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from RichMariner
My general issue with xG is two fold:

a) I feel it's very on-trend, and far too many kids are crying over it as if it's more worthy than the goals column

b) who questions the validity of how it's calculated? For example, looking at the data provided during that Salford game, it looks like Khan's chance (which he scored) was about 0.4, so 40% of the time from that position, in those exact circumstances, he'll score, 60% of the time he'd be expected to miss.

But then you look at Salford's fourth. It jumps by about 0.3, yet the bloke heads it in, relatively unchallenged, three yards out. Is the data suggesting he'd only likely convert that chance 30% of the time? Because most footballers will bury a header from that range. I'd personally put it at 0.8 or 0.9.

So who is making these decisions? Obviously someone is watching; something (programmatic or robotic) is measuring. I'd question the quality of that programming.

We might still be forming opinions on an unreliable methodology. People have bought into it, almost without question or scrutiny.

It's trying to make something subjective, objective. It's not as black and white as 'did the ball cross the line' or 'was he offside'? Attaching value to a unique set of circumstances is incredibly difficult to put a number to, so there's masses of mistrust from me, and mistrust towards people who put too much faith/value in it (for now).

Maybe I need educating more, but I think it's healthy to question the validity of most things.

It's very complex, Smiths header for Salford may be lower because you would also expect a defender or the keeper to collect the ball.

Playing devils advocate here as I've seen people saying our xG highlights our need for a striker to convert them. What if our xG is actually coming from midfielders and defenders at set pieces?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › League Two - xG Data

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.