aldi_01
January 1, 2023, 6:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from pontoonlew

I’ll moan if anybody else uses that old washed up excuse that you’ve just used. This narrative that we couldn’t possibly get a striker who can score goals is absolutely nonsense and it gets churned out on here window after window, whilst other clubs in our division (a lot with smaller budgets) manage to achieve it.

Do they though? Just because they sign someone in that position doesn’t mean they’re any good…wanting a striker and wanting and getting one that scores regularly are two very different things…

I mean Stockport are paying one a shed load of cash and quite frankly, he may as well have sat with me today…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 104
Hagrid
January 1, 2023, 6:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Simon

The good thing about football is we are all entitled to our opinion be it good or bad, i have never liked Hursts style of play but that is just my opinion

Facts are facts, he has got us two promotions and i applaud him for that achievement especially the last promotion because it was my worry we would be down there a while just like last time

But those three games aside we are very poor and very easy to beat, take the game against Salford a sloppy goal in the first minute, that happens and we rallied and upped our work rate to really get at them and get the equaliser but then we just switched off, almost like we were happy with a point as early in the game as that which invited pressure on us when at home we should have been taking it to them

Youth, Hurst doesn't give the youngsters a chance. I was fooled by Holloway and the reason why he was here but what did he see in some of the youngsters that Hurst doesn't, Ben Grist a fine example, Louis Boyd another, gets his debut under Hollowhead then nothing not seen for 18 months, something Dave Moore touched on in his interview in his day we had seven local lads playing, we are never going to attract the top players here but why can't we produce our own just got to believe in them and give them a run in the team. In our current squad Hunt, Richardson, Tomlinson, Essel etc give them a go

Hurst Gave Max Wright his first pro deal and harry his first taste of mens football. Same with Josh Venney.

Tomlinson and Essel are on loan at Clee Town and GY Boro. They clearly are not ready for mens League football yet, you talk about Louis Boyd. He was 15 ffs in one of the worst sides in GTFC History. Your points are franky ridiculous and yet another made up point to dig at PH About
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 104
jamesgtfc
January 1, 2023, 6:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Wow that post by Simon slipped the net by me! Ben Grist was signed for a decent sum before he could realistically even be given a chance! Most times I've had a glance at the youth team results in the last 2 seasons, Boyd hasn't even started!

It's hard to throw a young lad in when you're under pressure to get promoted or survive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 104
MuddyWaters
January 1, 2023, 6:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Wow that post by Simon slipped the net by me! Ben Grist was signed for a decent sum before he could realistically even be given a chance! Most times I've had a glance at the youth team results in the last 2 seasons, Boyd hasn't even started!

It's hard to throw a young lad in when you're under pressure to get promoted or survive.

Boyd had a long term injury, think he’s back playing now.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 104
ex-merseymariner
January 1, 2023, 7:55pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Hurst also has a good record for bringing in top quality young loanees, notably england players like Dean Henderson and Ben Godfrey, but also Townsend, Matete, which again is overlooked by critics.

We are keeping more young pros on than before, be fascinating to see how this intake plus Khouri Battersby and others do going forward.  

Utm!

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 104
Stew0_0
January 1, 2023, 10:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
Ethan Robson, Elliott Embleton and more. Hurst does have an eye for a young player and is willing to play youth or younger players if good enough.  Think we are a striker and a creative midfielder away from a decent side. Especially on today's evidence
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 104
HertsGTFC
January 1, 2023, 10:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Stew0_0
Ethan Robson, Elliott Embleton and more. Hurst does have an eye for a young player and is willing to play youth or younger players if good enough.  Think we are a striker and a creative midfielder away from a decent side. Especially on today's evidence

Embelton came in under Jolley and I think either him or Holloway brought Robson in.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 104
Davec
January 1, 2023, 10:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from Stew0_0

Hurst didn't sign Robson or Embleton
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 104
MuddyWaters
January 1, 2023, 10:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Davec

Hurst didn't sign Robson or Embleton

Both Jolley signings.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 104
pontoonlew
January 2, 2023, 12:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from aldi_01

Do they though? Just because they sign someone in that position doesn’t mean they’re any good…wanting a striker and wanting and getting one that scores regularly are two very different things…

I mean Stockport are paying one a shed load of cash and quite frankly, he may as well have sat with me today…

Given the fact none of our strikers feature in the top 20 goal scorers (and likely more) then I’d say yes, other sides do sign good strikers, unless you genuinely believe that isn’t the case?

Sounds like Madden had a bad game yesterday, but he has scored 9 goals with 3 assists, which is miles ahead of our strikers.

Even if we had a striker who could get us 12-15 goals, that’d be great. I really cannot understand the mentality of some that it’s somehow unattainable?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › When will the first be signed

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.