Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Official January Transfer Window Thread
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 206 Guests

Official January Transfer Window Thread

This thread currently has 493,521 views. Print
341 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
nealeardleyscrossing
December 5, 2022, 12:06pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -306
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Hagrid

be a fee involved in that i'd imagine

We paid 150k nearly 3 years ago - Can't imagine it would be much. Might be a loan anyway I was told - Wage would be the issue I would imagine.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 3406
ska face
December 5, 2022, 12:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,754
Gold Stars: 851
What’s going on with Vernam? Return was rumoured to have fallen through last minute in the summer when one of your other wingers did/didn’t go to Wigan, or something along those lines.
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 3406
Son of Cod
December 5, 2022, 12:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
I'd definitely have Tom Hopper here. Perhaps the Lincoln fans can enlighten us but I seem to remember him being a player in the Taylor mould. Fairly clever, holds the ball up, brings others into play, etc. Bit more mobile than Taylor too, I'd imagine. Has played the vast majority of his career in L1.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 3406
ginnywings
December 5, 2022, 12:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Hopper has already done Boston, Scunny and Lincoln, so saving the best 'til last hopefully.

He'd be an excellent replacement for Taylor and a good age too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 3406
diehardmariner
December 5, 2022, 12:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Chrisblor
Most of Hunt's success came from linking up with McAtee last season and he's not played a single minute with him yet this season. Get the two of them on the pitch together and they might both start producing?

Quoted from MuddyWaters

Without name dropping, I’m friends with a former Premier League midfielder who has often told me that really good midfielders need really good movements in front of them, either to receive the ball or to create space for runners. If you watched Giroud yesterday, his movement arguably created all three French goals.

This is our problem. There’s no guile about us without Taylor and very little off the ball movement. That’s why our passing is so pedestrian at times.

These.  In bucket loads.

It was also with McAtee having that free role, which he isn't playing at the minute.  I'd also add to that he had Bagapa and Sousa stretching teams from wide too, playing them in behind and across the lines.  

Hunt's technically excellent, the problem is the rest of the team don't make the runs that he needs for him to make use of his vision and passing range.  He's not slow and has quick feet too, in the absence of someone to take advantage of what he can offer I wouldn't mind seeing him trying to do that advanced midfield role, buzzing in and around the striker(s).  

Clifton, Green and Holohan will all run beyond the frontman, but their runs are relatively straight and predictable.  They need someone who brings them into play from a central point, as opposed to someone picking their runs out.  Frustratingly last season we lacked these runners, whereas this season we lack the thing we had last.

There's so many things missing from our attacking output at the minute, but I think a central point, i.e. Taylor Mk II, changes that.  That allows McAtee to drop into his favoured position, which in turn allows eye of the needle passing from Hunt and it also gives a focal point for the central runners.  I'd also argue it would allow Khan and Kiernan to stretch teams a bit more as they've the options of going long and wide or short and inside.  

What's Tony Rees up to these days, anyone?
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 3406
nealeardleyscrossing
December 5, 2022, 1:02pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod
I'd definitely have Tom Hopper here. Perhaps the Lincoln fans can enlighten us but I seem to remember him being a player in the Taylor mould. Fairly clever, holds the ball up, brings others into play, etc. Bit more mobile than Taylor too, I'd imagine. Has played the vast majority of his career in L1.

He is a good player, works hard and is definitely more than a goal scorer, unselfish and must be good to play with - Also chips in with goals - Relatively mobile but a good focal point for an attack - I feel he is finding it harder at L1 but then there are a lot of good players and clubs that have splashed some dollar, so maybe I am being unfair - He doesn't start much but that is due to Jack Diamond offering more really.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 3406
nealeardleyscrossing
December 5, 2022, 1:04pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from ska face
What’s going on with Vernam? Return was rumoured to have fallen through last minute in the summer when one of your other wingers did/didn’t go to Wigan, or something along those lines.

He is just a squad player, when all are fit he doesn't start - We have had some injuries so recently he has started more but they are coming back so I would expect he will drop to the bench again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 3406
psgmariner
December 5, 2022, 1:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Was trying to think how I knew the name Tom Hopper then it clicked...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-32950519

Private Message
Reply: 87 - 3406
Mariner_09
December 5, 2022, 1:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55

He is a good player, works hard and is definitely more than a goal scorer, unselfish and must be good to play with - Also chips in with goals - Relatively mobile but a good focal point for an attack - I feel he is finding it harder at L1 but then there are a lot of good players and clubs that have splashed some dollar, so maybe I am being unfair - He doesn't start much but that is due to Jack Diamond offering more really.

On paper, he's the exact striker we are crying out for. Taylor but younger, fitter, more mobile and more of a goal threat. Then the issue is everyone, and I mean everyone will be in for him. Maybe location can work in our favour here? But if we offer say 1.5k a week and Salford offer 4k, location becomes irrelevant.

Regarding Pollock, doesn't he also play the sort of McAtee role, ie not a natural striker? Hursty clearly thinking long term with both of these.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 3406
GhostDan
December 5, 2022, 2:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
Hopper would be an outstanding signing, if true.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 3406
341 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Official January Transfer Window Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.