Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 8 billion!
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 255 Guests

8 billion!

This thread currently has 3,104 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
OddShapedBalls
November 15, 2022, 10:12am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Rick12

I say less than that .Sadly a few times Ive spoken to some football/sport fans and they dont take Grimsby seriously. I remember an answer and I kid you not:

Football  fan " who do you support " .
Me= "Grimsby" .
Football fan ="no which proper football team".

At least I say Iam trying to support the club of my roots.

Had a lot of confused Italians trying to work out if I supported Juve, Siena or Newcastle whilst on holiday there.  They'd never heard of Grimsby, but it was a great conversation starter.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
barralad
November 15, 2022, 11:20am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,298
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

Had a lot of confused Italians trying to work out if I supported Juve, Siena or Newcastle whilst on holiday there.  They'd never heard of Grimsby, but it was a great conversation starter.

Two words for them mate (and it boosts your command of the Italian language) Ivano Bonetti

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
OddShapedBalls
November 15, 2022, 11:45am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Two words for them mate (and it boosts your command of the Italian language) Ivano Bonetti

I should have remembered to use that, tbf the pressure was on though as I was in Naples and about to be lynched by some local ultras.  My broken italian got us through despite my brother insisting on trying to correct their english  - 'no no no, the 'k' in know is silent, it's pronounced "no" not "ker-no".  "Si, si, eeenglish,  you-a ker-no wha we do to gobbi inna her-a?".   Fascinating place.  They claim to have invented pizza there.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
Rick12
November 15, 2022, 2:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45

To be fair to the Italians on the whole  they are quite passionate about their football though.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
Mayaman
November 15, 2022, 5:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Proper football fans are those that follow their local team (or at least thereabouts)   Most proper football fans have a better handle on geography than the rest of the population.

I had a new colleague so asked her where she was from.  

"Southampton.  How about you?"
"Grimsby"
She paused and then said, "isn't that up north?"
"Well done, but isn't almost every place up north to you?"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
Gaffer58
November 15, 2022, 5:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
8 billion people, and over the next hundred years  at least 8 billion will die!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
Phil the cod
November 15, 2022, 6:58pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
They all seem to be on my commute home down great coates road at 5pm
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
Rick12
November 16, 2022, 8:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Phil the cod
They all seem to be on my commute home down great coates road at 5pm
😁🙂.

Live in London Phil and the rush hour is even worse- on the roads and especially the tube network. I've had a few years of this living there and going to a semi  rural place near Lincoln is like a breadth of fresh air.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
OddShapedBalls
November 16, 2022, 10:50am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mayaman
Proper football fans are those that follow their local team (or at least thereabouts)   Most proper football fans have a better handle on geography than the rest of the population.

I had a new colleague so asked her where she was from.  

"Southampton.  How about you?"
"Grimsby"
She paused and then said, "isn't that up north?"
"Well done, but isn't almost every place up north to you?"

Hahaha, bet that's her stock answer to everything geography related!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
aldi_01
November 17, 2022, 6:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

I should have remembered to use that, tbf the pressure was on though as I was in Naples and about to be lynched by some local ultras.  My broken italian got us through despite my brother insisting on trying to correct their english  - 'no no no, the 'k' in know is silent, it's pronounced "no" not "ker-no".  "Si, si, eeenglish,  you-a ker-no wha we do to gobbi inna her-a?".   Fascinating place.  They claim to have invented pizza there.

To be fair to the hunchback odd balls of Napoli, they did invent pizza. Best place in Italy to get pizza. Can get a banging slice in Rome but still not as good as Napoli.

They all hate Juve so the black and white draws their attention but plenty will suss it out. I once sat, with around 10/15 Hellas Ultras, in the stand waiting for KO whilst watching the end of the Torquay game a few years ago when we scored really late on. They loved it. Once Italians know you supper your local team they’ll love you forever.

We often talk about football being woven in the fabric, Italy is a prime example of that, especially places like Napoli. My love of Hellas makes me detest Napoli but, if I was born in Italy, being a Napoli fan would be decent, although to have to live there and it’s predominantly a dump.

People have made the proper jibe to me before, I laugh, I pity those folk.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 8 billion!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.