Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...on the bus.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 276 Guests

Just Back...on the bus.

This thread currently has 6,665 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
lukeo
October 2, 2022, 4:28am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,395
Gold Stars: 149
I like 3 at the back in a 352/532 formation and would like to see us use it more often, I feel doing that it doesn't leave a like striker isolated. I felt once we settled we played it well and hope PH recognises it could work in our favour
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
rancido
October 2, 2022, 7:57am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from lukeo
I like 3 at the back in a 352/532 formation and would like to see us use it more often, I feel doing that it doesn't leave a like striker isolated. I felt once we settled we played it well and hope PH recognises it could work in our favour

In the right circumstances,  all playing formations have their pluses and minuses. Although it is better to let your opponents worry about you as opposed to you worrying about them, it is still best to be mindful of their strengths and adjust your system accordingly. This can be done by either changing formation or rigidly sticking to a formation ie 3-5-2 or changing players within that formation.
I don't get too hung up about formations but more about the system and players that will get a result for each game we play.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
aldi_01
October 2, 2022, 8:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from rancido

In the right circumstances,  all playing formations have their pluses and minuses. Although it is better to let your opponents worry about you as opposed to you worrying about them, it is still best to be mindful of their strengths and adjust your system accordingly. This can be done by either changing formation or rigidly sticking to a formation ie 3-5-2 or changing players within that formation.
I don't get too hung up about formations but more about the system and players that will get a result for each game we play.

I can’t remember the title of the book, but there’s an interesting read about formations and how they’re all pretty much guff. It’s about coaching and players have positional awareness etc rather than fixating on formation.

Having said that, yesterday, after we got to grips with the 3 at the back, we looked decent and second half we looked like the only team that would go on to win the game.

As we all predicted, Smith’s poor game is out of his system and once again, yesterday he was quality. Pepple looks a confidence player but there’s something in there. Orsi looked good when he came on but he’s got to finish that chance near the end.

Clifton seems to be the ultimate away player and o thought Khan looked lively.

Was great to stop the losing streak and we’ve a game next week, at home which is most certainly winnable.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
moosey_club
October 2, 2022, 9:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from aldi_01

I can’t remember the title of the book, but there’s an interesting read about formations and how they’re all pretty much guff. It’s about coaching and players have positional awareness etc rather than fixating on formation.

When you don't have the ball ...Mark a player until your team gets it back.....when you get it back lose the player marking you...

But I think there was a bit of an alternative pushed at one time by Mr Ian Holloway that was leaning towards just hold your position at all times and let the opposition worry about marking you.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
bradzmilne
October 2, 2022, 9:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,428
Gold Stars: 30
As others have said,  a good point on the road against a strong Salford team.

I had a gut feeling that 3-5-2 was always the plan this season with 3 “undropable” centre halves and I think on the whole it worked. Naturally with any change of system it’ll take a bit of time to get perfect but in my humble opinion, we’ve got to stick with it because it will come good.

Really not convinced with Pepple. He’s young and learning his trade but doesn’t seem quite right. Time for Orsi to have his chance.

On a side note, that was my first visit to Salford and in regards to capacity and facilities it’s the worst ground I’ve ever been too, 6 male toilets is not remotely acceptable.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
Croxton
October 2, 2022, 9:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from bradzmilne
As others have said,  a good point on the road against a strong Salford team.

I had a gut feeling that 3-5-2 was always the plan this season with 3 “undropable” centre halves and I think on the whole it worked. Naturally with any change of system it’ll take a bit of time to get perfect but in my humble opinion, we’ve got to stick with it because it will come good.

Really not convinced with Pepple. He’s young and learning his trade but doesn’t seem quite right. Time for Orsi to have his chance.

On a side note, that was my first visit to Salford and in regards to capacity and facilities it’s the worst ground I’ve ever been too, 6 male toilets is not remotely acceptable.

Even worse for the disabled section. Dreadful view and facilities. Last season Kings Lynn was the nadir for away fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
Theimperialcoroner
October 2, 2022, 10:26am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,255
Gold Stars: 102
Facilities may have been limited but have to say the Salford stewards did a great job in looking after my daughter  who had a massive wobble in the midst of all the boisterousness. Without any fuss they made sure we were ok and led her to the seats where they move some of the tarp so we had somewhere quieter for her. They even assigned one of the steward to make sure she didn’t get any bother. Really good stuff from them.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
chipsandgravy
October 2, 2022, 12:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Lost in Lincoln

Kinell, where did you park?!

Maybe slightly exaggeration but I'm 65 and it was uphill so certainly felt like it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...on the bus.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.