Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...on the bus.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 248 Guests

Just Back...on the bus.

This thread currently has 6,664 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
October 1, 2022, 7:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
Draw today without the following players not playing any part:

JMD
Amos
Taylor
Effete
Simmonds
Cropper
Pearson
Morris
Easel
McAtee
Scannell

We have a good squad, in depth and quality.   Not every positioned, eg Taylor.

(On the BBC sport tonight there is a comment that Grimsby yobbos let the club down.  Anyone know any background to this.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 1, 2022, 7:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from It Bites
I am really trying to be positive this season but if Pepple plays another game for us I'll be very surprised. He was so far out of his depth it was embarrassing for the lad . I think Clee Town will be his level

I didn’t think he was quite that bad. Although, I’m not convinced he’ll have a long, successful career in the EFL.

Pepple’s connection on his big chance in the first half was so bad it didn’t even come off the centre of his shin pad.

We were poor in the first 20 mins but I thought he offered more of an outlet for the rest of the first half than Orsi did in the second.

My worry about the suggestions to play Orsi and Richardson together is that our passing has to be perfect. Our team have many qualities but I’m not sure consistent, accurate passing is high on the list of attributes for most of our midfield / defence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 37
ginnywings
October 1, 2022, 8:04pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Listening to PH post-match, the side was almost cobbled together with some players becoming unavailable at a late hour. They hadn't trained for, or intended to play three at the back and had to quickly instruct the players pre match on a hastily arrived at formation, so you have to say that it was a good performance at a fancied side all in all.

We had more shots, more shots on target and 3 times as many corners as they did looking at the BBC stats, so can't complain at a point today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
Wiley2405
October 1, 2022, 8:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +663
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from ginnywings
Listening to PH post-match, the side was almost cobbled together with some players becoming unavailable at a late hour. They hadn't trained for, or intended to play three at the back and had to quickly instruct the players pre match on a hastily arrived at formation, so you have to say that it was a good performance at a fancied side all in all.

We had more shots, more shots on target and 3 times as many corners as they did looking at the BBC stats, so can't complain at a point today.

Makes you wonder what they could do with a week or 2 training with it then doesn’t it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 37
SouthLakesMariner
October 1, 2022, 8:11pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +938
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from ginnywings

I wasn’t at the game but the consensus from those that were seems to be that the 3 at the back worked well. Given the circumstances, that’s a real credit to the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
chipsandgravy
October 1, 2022, 8:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
Thought the three at the back worked..eventually. To be honest I really enjoyed the game today. Both teams could have won it and there was little difference between the sides and given Salfords position and current run we can take great credit for the draw.
What I didn't enjoy was the 2 mile ruddy walk to the ground and having to have a pee in a shipping container.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
GhostDan
October 1, 2022, 8:28pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
Thought it was a good game,  I think our personnel definitely suit a back 3 and I hope we give it another few games to see where it goes.

It was a good performance against a decent Salford side, my only frustration is on so many occasion we won the ball, then within seconds gave it back to them. We’re not far off being a good side in this league, it’s just those moments of quality that make the difference.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see PH shopping for more Strikers in January, unfortunately Pepple isn’t good enough and although I like Orsi, I think PH is going to want more.

Still, a decent enough start to the season for me and I don’t think we’re  miles off being a good side in this league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
marinerjase
October 1, 2022, 8:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,665
Gold Stars: 147
It’s really boring reading the criticism of team selection and certain players omitted every game. Today for example..yea, although enforced..the movement of Clifton to right full back to contain Touray..vital. He was outstanding, nullified their main threat and even popped up last min in their box. Still think that’s his best position. Waterfall ill..great effort. Salford two wide men first 15 mins were a problem, so you can see why the likes of JMD didn’t start. It’s common sense, certainly away from home. People criticising PHdecisions ..really?? Be careful what you wish for. He’s the right man, at the right time. Perfect fit. And he’s a steely determination to want to get better..want the club to get better..and it is..it doesn’t happen overnight. Let him manage.

Same people moaning about strikers..why?? It can’t change..it is what it is..do you slag them off every week or do you try help them in being supportive? Yes I get the ‘irritation’ of loan players selected ahead of ‘our’ players..but it’s up to individuals to force their way in. Away from home it’s worked in how we set up..the target man up top..so I get Pepple starting today..yes..he didn’t perform, but it made sense. And the starting line up is rarely the same as the end line up..ie options..adapt..react.

Salford never threatened us second half..had a bit of the ball but only one side looked like going to win it..us. And they’re amongst the favourites..money behind them etc etc -

Really do think a bit of perspective needed at times..we’re mid table..comfortably do..and yes..improvement to come..(home) ..but we will.. there’s the likes of Morris to come back, who can hopefully fulfill the stopper/holding midfield role..and release Hunt or whoever..there’s McAtee to come back (let’s enjoy it for the rest of time here) ..peoples form will pick up, others drop..others come in. Squad game. And we’ve a decent squad with options for first time in years. We might need to strengthen up top in January, we might not.. but the option there..just wish some would appreciate where we are in relation to where we were not so long back. (Not necessarily on here..social media in general)

It’s all good. The club going in the right direction. Too the few who get frustrated/or who like to have a dig at the manager just because..look at Scunny..look at Rochdale..Gillingham..

Stick with them. Back them..seen enough of the sides in this league to appreciate we aren’t far away. And we can get better.

UTM.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
barralad
October 1, 2022, 8:41pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,297
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Draw today without the following players not playing any part:

JMD
Amos
Taylor
Effete
Simmonds
Cropper
Pearson
Morris
Easel
McAtee
Scannell

We have a good squad, in depth and quality.   Not every positioned, eg Taylor.

(On the BBC sport tonight there is a comment that Grimsby yobbos let the club down.  Anyone know any background to this.

The only yobs I saw were the three "Shameless" wannabes who invaded the pitch from their end.
I can only assume they were referring to the ridiculous and dangerous flare throwing. Four flares at least on  a packed terrace.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 37
MuddyWaters
October 1, 2022, 8:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
It seems only when he’s missing people realise how much we rely on Ryan Taylor. I guess we’ll never know how close we got to finding another striker in the window but, let’s be honest, of the others, only Richardson looks capable at this level. The rest of the squad is great but we’re still way short in the striker department.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...on the bus.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.