Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Papa Johns ticket info.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 217 Guests

Papa Johns ticket info.

This thread currently has 3,770 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
September 20, 2022, 10:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Deckhand
Boycotting it is a waste of time let's get behind the team in whatever competition they play in

Aside from the Premier League takeover of what should be an EFL competition, there’s the small matter of umpteen consecutive Saturday/Tuesday fixtures. PH will field as weak a team as he can, say the normal platitudes about wanting to win every game probably with his fingers crossed that we don’t.

Your choice but not for me.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 31
Poojah
September 20, 2022, 11:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Deckhand
Boycotting it is a waste of time let's get behind the team in whatever competition they play in

There are several posts above yours which explain why boycotting is not a waste of time and why it’s important not to “get behind the team” in this particular instance.

I see this as an opportunity to get minutes into the legs of youngsters and first-teamers who haven’t had much game time for whatever reason, and little more.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
jimgtfc
September 20, 2022, 11:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Poojah

That’s wide of the mark for me. The Premier League aren’t bothered about the Papa John’s Trophy; the presence of under-21 sides in the competition is merely an exercise in testing the water to gauge the level of discontent from fans.

The moment there is a common sense of acceptance amongst supporters is the moment we find PL development squads in the football league pyramid, as is the case in Spain and other countries.

The English football league system is steeped in history and should be sacrosanct, just as historic buildings are protected in law to preserve traditional artefacts. The game is now dominated by a rich minority and no such protection exists.

I don’t condone the childish bullying of others who wish to attend these games, but take no issue in people calmly explaining the potential consequences of this horrible experiment being deemed a success. That is, Grimsby Town vs Brentford under-21s at 3pm on your Saturday afternoon.

But it just won’t happen though will it? It’s been stated numerous times that for such a drastic change to the football league it would require unanimous support from the member clubs, and that won’t ever happen, and they know that. So that’s that, not happening. For what it’s worth I have no intention of watching town play any under age side, and won’t be going tonight due to a lack of interest, but the boycotting idea being forced upon fans by certain individuals (not everyone), and the contempt shown to anyone showing a glimmer of interest in the competition just isn’t necessary any more.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
louth_in_the_south
September 20, 2022, 11:32am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96
By boycotting we’re getting behind the future of our club

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
Poojah
September 20, 2022, 11:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from jimgtfc

But it just won’t happen though will it? It’s been stated numerous times that for such a drastic change to the football league it would require unanimous support from the member clubs, and that won’t ever happen, and they know that. So that’s that, not happening. For what it’s worth I have no intention of watching town play any under age side, and won’t be going tonight due to a lack of interest, but the boycotting idea being forced upon fans by certain individuals (not everyone), and the contempt shown to anyone showing a glimmer of interest in the competition just isn’t necessary any more.

Answer me this; why did EFL clubs vote almost unanimously to allow PL development sides to enter the competition? There in lies the answer as to precisely why their introduction to the EFL system absolutely could happen.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
louth_in_the_south
September 20, 2022, 11:49am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96
We could do with dialogue with mr stockwood on this matter . He’s clearly getting some serious respect in the football world in a short space of time and throw some weight behind the undoubted problem this competition could potentially cause to the football pyramid

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 20, 2022, 12:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,765
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Poojah

Answer me this; why did EFL clubs vote almost unanimously to allow PL development sides to enter the competition? There in lies the answer as to precisely why their introduction to the EFL system absolutely could happen.

Personally, although I don’t attend these games, I believe there is a significant difference in EFL clubs agreement to under 23 sides playing in a cup competition ( including the league cup should that happen in the future) and agreeing to such sides playing in the league.

In recent times Wimbledon, Newport, Macclesfield and Bury have reformed and had to start at the bottom of the league pyramid and for the life of me I cannot envisage any circumstances where EFL clubs would move away from this accepted practice.  Ultimately, all EFL clubs will know that any access to Premier clubs reserve/under 23’s into this pyramid system would at some stage not only put at risk their own status as EFL clubs but their very existence.

Maybe I’m naïve but a few extra grand short term is not going to persuade clubs to place this league status slip away. Let’s be honest once that door is open pretty much every Premiership club, and the odd Championship club, would have the financial means to put together sides that would/could put at risk the EFL future of circa 20 clubs. Thus I just can’t see anyway clubs would be that stupid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
Son of Cod
September 20, 2022, 12:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Personally, although I don’t attend these games, I believe there is a significant difference in EFL clubs agreement to under 23 sides playing in a cup competition ( including the league cup should that happen in the future) and agreeing to such sides playing in the league.

In recent times Wimbledon, Newport, Macclesfield and Bury have reformed and had to start at the bottom of the league pyramid and for the life of me I cannot envisage any circumstances where EFL clubs would move away from this accepted practice.  Ultimately, all EFL clubs will know that any access to Premier clubs reserve/under 23’s into this pyramid system would at some stage not only put at risk their own status as EFL clubs but their very existence.

Maybe I’m naïve but a few extra grand short term is not going to persuade clubs to place this league status slip away. Let’s be honest once that door is open pretty much every Premiership club, and the odd Championship club, would have the financial means to put together sides that would/could put at risk the EFL future of circa 20 clubs. Thus I just can’t see anyway clubs would be that stupid.

It would almost be as stupid as taking that few extra grand to allow the Prem clubs cut price access to the products of their entire youth academies...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
barrattstandman
September 20, 2022, 12:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +482
Gold Stars: 17
The only reason second string sides are in the Spanish league is that lower league football is nowhere strong enough as ours
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
jimgtfc
September 20, 2022, 1:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Poojah

Cash, in exchange for changes to a failing minor cup competition. Only 66.6% of league one and two clubs voted in favour of retaining the current checkatrade / johnstones paint cup format in 2017. That’s a far cry from the 100% required to make changes to the league system. 2 completely different things.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Papa Johns ticket info.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.