Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 265 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 8,186 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
September 13, 2022, 10:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Probably didn’t deserve anything out of the game. Gillingham pressed well, ran hard and we didn’t seem willing to make any changes to our team or shape.

I thought the decision to take Morris off not Holohan was strange, as was the decision to replace Kiernan with Wearne who I’m struggling to see the positives in, especially in comparison to JMD.

Credit to the team for getting a point. MoM…Andy Smith again.
Private Message
forza ivano
September 13, 2022, 10:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,267
Gold Stars: 266
Smith? Really? Thought him, glennon and clifton were off their game, whilst holohan had sn absolute stinker.. motm was efete for me.was decent throughout the 90 mins
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 55
Hagrid
September 13, 2022, 10:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from forza ivano
Smith? Really? Thought him, glennon and clifton were off their game, whilst holohan had sn absolute stinker.. motm was efete for me.was decent throughout the 90 mins

Efete!?!?!?!

Smith was miles and miles clear of anyone on the pitch in a town shirt.
Best player on the pitch was the gills number 9
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 55
ginnywings
September 13, 2022, 10:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
We were great for the first 8 or 9 minutes and we finally scored a first half goal and from a striker no less, but then I thought Gillingham were the better side for most of the following 80 mins and they gave us as stern a test as I have seen at BP for a while.

They controlled it better than us, passed it better than us, and kept possession better than us, but we fought and battled and came away with a point that could easily have been a defeat but for our resolute defence, who protected Crocombe admirably and I think he only really had one save of note to make.

We were a bit wobbly in the first half and gave away the ball countless times. The defence was a bit out of sorts at times too in the first half, but hardly put a foot wrong second half. Smith was again superb and Waterfall wasn't far behind.

Having said all that, we hit the bar and carved out a couple of decent opportunities second half and kept going like we do. We frustratingly made some poor decisions in the final third and I lost count of the amount of times their back line intercepted passes that could have caused problems if better directed. Kiernan was particularly bad for losing possession, but he worked his butt off to his credit.

There was a lot of moaning going on around me, but I thought we did well to get a draw, because they were much better than I expected, but lacked something around the box, which probably explains why they haven't scored much at all.

Most people seemed disappointed, but I enjoyed the game and it was a tough test that stood up to and could even have won with a bit of luck.

Richardson looks to be a player and will be very good when he toughens up a bit.

Smith my MOM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 55
MuddyWaters
September 13, 2022, 10:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Hagrid

Efete!?!?!?!

Smith was miles and miles clear of anyone on the pitch in a town shirt.
Best player on the pitch was the gills number 9

Efete gave the ball away a lot tonight but not as much as Holohan.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 55
heppy88
September 13, 2022, 10:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Reminded me of Hurst mark one performance. You would have thought we were the underdogs tonight. Struggled to string any passes together after 30 minutes. Substitutions far too late to make an impact. Changes were needed at half time not with 20 minutes to go. An awful game to watch, but a point nevertheless.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 55
wiggers
September 13, 2022, 10:30pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +469
Gold Stars: 11
Morris came off holding his calf, think he’s pulled it slightly by the looks of it. Holohan was poor this evening, worst game for town imo. Hunt showed some nice touches when he came on. Draw a fair result. Would be interested to see their goal again. Looked like a foul on the keeper…..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 55
HerveJosse
September 13, 2022, 10:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,217
Gold Stars: 144
After all the incomings So far other then back four and our sole number 9 I have no idea what are best eleven is what system to play at home or what substitutions we should make. In particular don’t know where Hunt is going to play and how you are going to fit together so many midfield and wide players.Hopefully a pattern will emerge but I think it’s going to be hard going at home until Mcatees back
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 55
HerveJosse
September 13, 2022, 10:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

Yes really!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 55
Mariner93er
September 13, 2022, 10:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Think this shows how far we've come that were disappointed with our performance against what is actually a decent Gills team despite drawing, which I think is the fair result.

First half they were the better team but second half we were better I thought, especially for the first 20 mins or so. And actually, when you look at it, we created the better chances overall. Their second looked offside on Mariners TV but we got lucky with the first disallowed. Quite a few players off today but we still got a draw and our unbeaten run continues.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 55
headingly_mariner
September 13, 2022, 10:47pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,391
Gold Stars: 120
Flat tonight. Crowd expectant rather than excited, which left a really dull atmosphere.

Thought we really struggled to get going and it's not often we are outmuscled. Young lad up front tried hard but ran out of steam. The lad who replaced him looked like he couldn't be arsed.

Still a point when we played excrement is not too bad. Haven't quite clicked at home but I am sure we will.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 55
petethemariner
September 13, 2022, 10:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
I think most realistic Town supporters  are delighted with the return this season, 1 defeat in 7,  twelve points, and a game in hand with  the play off teams at this early stage, however i feel the only worry is the continuing lack of spark in the final third, which  is shown by 7 goals in as many games, OK we have Mc Atee to come back, but its going to take a while for him to reach peak performance, so i would think his input probably wont be felt this year and lets face it, come the end of the season he isnt our player anymore either, its worrying that during his time with us ,his absences coincides with a dry up of goals, we have good attacking players, but something is missing in the 'chemistry that McAtee brings, its a puzzle we have to solve sooner rather than later if we are going to continue the fantastic momerntum of the past few months.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 55
ginnywings
September 13, 2022, 10:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I get why people are disappointed, but I don't think they are giving enough credit to Gillingham, who were better than I thought they would be and to a certain extent made us look poor by being better than us for the majority of the game.

What we have though, is never say die attitude and that spirit got us something from the game, whereas teams of old would have rolled over and lost that.

We are new to the league, have a big squad and it will take time to figure out who and what works best for us. I'm not sure if the change to 2 up top has been a success yet.

Early days and we are 6 unbeaten. Just a pity all the draws have been in front of the home fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 55
aldi_01
September 13, 2022, 10:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Was a bit of a nothing game in the end and whilst we had chances, they’d argue they had a couple of good ones too. Not sure anyone deserved to win.

Smith immense again, Richardson looks a player and I suspect it’s only a matter of time before someone makes way for Hunt.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 55
moosey_club
September 13, 2022, 10:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
Extremely frustrating evening......shape and possibly personnel not right, real lack of width throughout, two up front but hardly any service to them.
Kiernan first half seem to be tucked inside , Richardson busy quick footed but nowhere near the goal,  Taylor struggled to do anything really , partly service partly having a bigger man on his back and zero sympathy from the ref. At least he bundled home the goal which from the Pontoon was virtually impossible to see how it evolved.
Their goal I didn't see as a foul in real time so no immediate complaints.
Very surprised not to see a sub at half time for us as we just didn't look convincing at all...even more surprised it took so long to bring one on...we had the purple patch but never threatened the goal, needed to change it up. Can't argue with any of the subs made but sadly they didn't really improve us, if anything we  started to lose ground rather than gain it.
They finished the more likely to win and I wholly expected them to nick it, thankfully the assistant raised his flag.
Poor night all round but we took a point.
As others have said the midfield conundrum will need solving and actual wide players to be considered for wide positions.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 55
Mrbump53
September 13, 2022, 11:04pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +335
Gold Stars: 11
Thought we were unlucky not to win but also lucky not to lose at the end. Frustrating play at times and good at times. Subs were too late to have any real effect and the usual standard of referee!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 55
HarrogateMariner
September 13, 2022, 11:10pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
By no means a brilliant performance, but I don't think we were as bad as some are making out. I suspect Gillingham will finish a lot higher up than their current position, think Harris out did Hurst tactically tonight, and Hurst doesn't get out done very often.
Games like these we would have lost 2 seasons ago, so a point isn't bad in the end but completely understand and expect that we should be far better at home. Think we were too open in the middle, and should have switched to 451, but on the flip side that would then be seen as negative to some. We just never seemed to be in control.
Got to say I don't think it was Smiths best game by a long way. Don't get me wrong, he is a great player but far away from man of the match for me. Also thought Efete had a decent game and was better than Glennon who I don't think has hit the high levels we were expecting yet.
All in all another point and another game unbeaten.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 55
Nutsy
September 13, 2022, 11:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +157
Gold Stars: 5
I thought Glennon, aside from a couple of dreadful crosses/corners, was decent as was Clifton.

We just had no connection from midfield to Taylor, and they won everything in the middle of the park.

Would like to see Hunt start at the weekend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 55
golfer
September 13, 2022, 11:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
I normally leave 2 minutes from the end but stayed to the very end hoping Holohan would eventually find one of our players with a pass - it was not to be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 55
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 13, 2022, 11:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,763
Gold Stars: 81
Strong first five minutes, high press quick passing and plenty of movement, get the early goal and then …..? Not sure what happened after that but Gillingham were certainly the better side for most of the game and despite a decent 15 minute spell in the second half where we put together 3 or 4 quality moves we rarely threatened their goal. Disappointed that Orsi didn’t get a run out as we need someone to get on the end of those two or three crosses that fizzed across their box and I’m a little surprised the loanee came on before he did. Richardson had a bright start and obviously has quick feet but not surprisingly he hasn’t yet got the physical strength to hold defenders off and he faded badly second half and probably should have been subbed much earlier.

As others have said probably Clifton’s worst game for a while, some really poor passing wasting some very decent situations, and he was not the only one to suffer in that way. Wouldn’t argue with Smith as MOM and finally another poor referee who couldn’t keep up with play but in all honesty he was consistently crap for both teams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 55
DB
September 13, 2022, 11:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from HerveJosse
After all the incomings So far other then back four and our sole number 9 I have no idea what are best eleven is what system to play at home or what substitutions we should make. In particular don’t know where Hunt is going to play and how you are going to fit together so many midfield and wide players.Hopefully a pattern will emerge but I think it’s going to be hard going at home until Mcatees back

But everything seems to click into place when we play away. Perhaps there is not as much pressure on the team for away games, compared with the expected home win.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 55
davmariner
September 14, 2022, 12:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,959
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from aldi_01
Was a bit of a nothing game in the end and whilst we had chances, they’d argue they had a couple of good ones too. Not sure anyone deserved to win.

Smith immense again, Richardson looks a player and I suspect it’s only a matter of time before someone makes way for Hunt.

Interesting as I thought Richardson looked flashy and has a trick in him but ineffective. He’s only two games in so will give him the benefit of the doubt, but so far he seems like a generic U23s player - comes in with a lot of promise but can’t quite cut it in men’s football.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 55
lukeo
September 14, 2022, 4:50am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,395
Gold Stars: 149
I went to Newport and we played brilliant, took our time in the ball, short sharp passes aswell as slow build up play but retained the possession well... last night we didn't come close to that. Gillingham to be fair did very well at stopping us playing out from the back so we hit long mostly. In doing that we only had Taylor and noone within 20 yards of him most the time..... I'm very happy with our points so far this season and hope last night was a one off as we've looked very good so far this season. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 55
monkeyboy
September 14, 2022, 5:21am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Bad points

Clifton, Holohan passing was dreadful tonight.
Taylor for me should not be starting, Pepple looks better to me(actually keeps the ball)
Team was last to everything, they played a lot of longball and it was working for them. we couldnt cope.
Nothing against Clifton but we need a proper winger on the left.

Good points

we didnt lose and played crap, sign of a decent team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 55
aldi_01
September 14, 2022, 6:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think some perspective is needed for those ‘newer fans’ given we’re sat 2 points outside the playoffs. If we stay there you’d class that as success given we’ve not been that close since 2006.

My thinking is Holohan had a poor game but could also be feeling a bit of pressure, in my mind as good as he is, you’d fancy him to make way for Hunt. Simmonds didn’t look great but in truth he didn’t have much time to make an impact. We didn’t lose, that’s a good habit.

I do wonder if the weekends unnecessary postponements May be took a bit of momentum away? Who knows.

We’re a hard team to beat and we know our weaknesses and can improve on them.

It’s still mega being a town fan at the minute….

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 55
LH
September 14, 2022, 7:21am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,566
Gold Stars: 174
Pretty poor across the board individually. Sloppy passing, nothing particularly inspiring, composed or quality going forwardbut a point is a point. I thought Gillingham pressed well especially in the first half an considering their lack of scoring this season so far probably looked more threatening. Their 9 should have gone late on but doubt it would have made a difference. Onwards.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 55
gtfc_chris
September 14, 2022, 7:29am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,506
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from ginnywings
I get why people are disappointed, but I don't think they are giving enough credit to Gillingham, who were better than I thought they would be and to a certain extent made us look poor by being better than us for the majority of the game.

What we have though, is never say die attitude and that spirit got us something from the game, whereas teams of old would have rolled over and lost that.

We are new to the league, have a big squad and it will take time to figure out who and what works best for us. I'm not sure if the change to 2 up top has been a success yet.

Early days and we are 6 unbeaten. Just a pity all the draws have been in front of the home fans.

In Neil Harris they have a manager who played at a high level, managed at a high level and therefore will no doubt want his team to play in a way that is suited more to a higher level than L2.

It's almost a carbon copy scenario of how I viewed Hurst Mk1, it took so long to get out of the NL first time around because we were playing football suited higher up, not what got you out the division.

I don't recall them playing many long, hopeful balls and they generally passed it well and made use of their pace up front. I think the sentiment above about Gillingham being better is in and around the truth. They were a good team and whether they're simply better in how they play, whether we had an off game or a blend of the two I personally think a draw was a fair reflection in what I considered to be reasonable game.

They won't be down the bottom end for long. Once they've found their feet in front of goal the way they play will get them wins. If you're trying to play a style of football more befitting higher up the pyramid, you have to acknowledge that you will fall foul of the traps of the 'bog-standard' and learn to navigate around them and I think last night was that in motion.

From us, we weren't at our best but I don't think we were at our worst either, Leyton Orient was far worse. We don't have a right to dominate teams and I think it's unfair of fans if that's the expectation now because of momentum or form. Flip that though and we do need to expect better from some of the passing last night. Some failed because we tried the creative 'key' pass that didn't come off - sometimes you have to try. But there was also a lot of loose wayward and simply awful passes, Morris in particular just before he came off down the right hand side.

The bit I didn't particularly like in the later stages of the second half is how we didn't seem to close down and we showed them too much respect, and allowed them to break us down and come onto us with more ease than I think we've allowed others. I'm familiar with the need to sometimes regroup and shape up but we seemed to be well organised but yet no-one wanted to defend the ball.

Hard to select a MoM for me but I'm actually going to go with Kiernan. A lot of the little we did create or get a hint of excitement over came from his direct running. A better success rate would have been nice but his work ethic and desire to carry us forward was the only time I fancied something to happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 55
golfer
September 14, 2022, 7:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Town didn't play too bad on the whole - very physical game from both sides, possibly caused by the ineptitude of the man in the middle who seemed frightened to give a yellow card on at least 3 occasions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 55
pontoonlew
September 14, 2022, 7:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from DB

But everything seems to click into place when we play away. Perhaps there is not as much pressure on the team for away games, compared with the expected home win.

I personally think the answer comes from how we set up. Each time I’ve seen us we’ve set up like an away team and I’d really like to see us have a go at home.

I have to say, despite 1-2 good moments I thought Taylor was pretty poor yesterday. Their CB had the better of him in almost every single header and the ball just seemed to bounce off him. I’d like to see more of Orsi personally, and I’ve seen a few say Efete had a good game, cannot have been watching the same game surely? He’s really struggled with the step up IMO and it’s time we considered Cropper.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 55
pen penfras
September 14, 2022, 7:45am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
It followed the pattern of most games this season, except we started well. Looked like we were going to continue where we left off the last game with high pressing and forcing them into mistakes, but once we scored the game changed.

They were then the better team for the majority of the rest, but neither side created lots. They should have won because I can't see anything wrong with the first disallowed goal.

It's good that we're picking up points when we don't play well, but we have only played well in 2 games and that is slightly concerning because if teams were taking their chances then we'd be looking over our shoulder rather than up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 55
Rodley Mariner
September 14, 2022, 8:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
League tables can be very misleading this early in the season. I was guilty of looking at the table before last night and thinking we should get 3 points but I thought Gillingham were pretty decent once they settled down. Be surprised if they're bottom 6 at the end.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 55
sam gy
September 14, 2022, 8:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
I liked the combo of Morris, Green and Holohan in midfield, but that left us short up top. Last night we were overran and two big signings in Hunt and Green were left on the bench. Who’d be a manager eh.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 55
HertsGTFC
September 14, 2022, 8:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Disappointing not to get a win at home but PH has options in the squad which is deeper than ever. Also we have Khan to come back relatively soon and McAtee and Scannell all being well will be on schedule and fit and firing post Christmas.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 55
Jarmo.Is.God
September 14, 2022, 9:01am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Overall, it was bang average, but it wasn't a disaster some people are making out.
I personally would have taken Taylor off and replaced with Orsi as a different option.
Nothing against Taylor, he just wasn't getting anything from the ref.
Kiernan was good, he looks bright, but sometimes lacks that final product, but that's probably why he's in league 2.
Efetee wasn't great again.
Richardson looked bright and confident, but the game often passed him by, not his fault.
I remember Adelakun being good at Scunny, and i've no idea how he's back in this league, but he looked very lively, and played some wicked forward balls that we struggled with.

We did have spells where we played some nice football, but unfortunately wasn't very often last night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 55
Zmariner
September 14, 2022, 9:24am
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
League tables can be very misleading this early in the season. I was guilty of looking at the table before last night and thinking we should get 3 points but I thought Gillingham were pretty decent once they settled down. Be surprised if they're bottom 6 at the end.

Agreed, I thought Gillingham were the best of the sides that I have seen here this season in the league. That said we did not fire last night. Glennon  seemed to be running on empty and struggled, also the midfield was pretty ineffective leaving the forwards with scraps.
JMD Seems hard done to me, not the greatest defender but definitely has more end product than most of the forwards I saw last night.
The new forward got little service but was also very ineffective and I would’ve not left him on for so long. I thought Smith played very well but would have given man of the match to Kiernan who I thought battled well all the way through And I hope that we signed him in January. A draw was about right but their substitutes were much more effective than ours is why we finished on the back foot utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 55
pontoonlew
September 14, 2022, 9:36am
Vodka Drinker
I thought Adelakun and their sub Green were very good, Green in particular
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 55
Lost in Lincoln
September 14, 2022, 9:40am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from wiggers
Morris came off holding his calf, think he’s pulled it slightly by the looks of it. Holohan was poor this evening, worst game for town imo. Hunt showed some nice touches when he came on. Draw a fair result. Would be interested to see their goal again. Looked like a foul on the keeper…..

I thought that too, but having seen it back, he went down far too easily for me, and laid there while they scored - clearly expecting to get a free kick.

Put it this way, had it been the other way round and it was disallowed, we'd all be FEWMIN!

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 36 - 55
Rodley Mariner
September 14, 2022, 9:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Mandron was a handful as well. I thought we got outmuscled a bit at times which is a rarity and it just felt flat on the pitch and in the stands. Still think there is a challenge to just find the right balance. Playing Richardson closer to Taylor is great but we missed a third man in the middle I thought.

Everyone seems to agree Morris and Holohan weren't at their best but maybe they just needed a bit more help. I wondered if a third centre mid to help them might have meant we didn't need Clifton's endeavour and maybe Richardson could have played off the left but looking to tuck in close to Taylor when he could. Do think Hurst has been considerably better this time around at solving these kind of problems and he's certainly got options in the squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 55
Poojah
September 14, 2022, 9:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
My first time at BP since early May and only the second time I’ve seen Town this season, the other occasion being at Walsall. Last night was almost the reverse of that performance; Town on the front foot and dominant for the first 10 minutes against a poor looking Gillingham side before everything flipped on its head for the remaining 80.

We’re still adjusting to life back in the league and in the whole you have to be very satisfied with how we’ve started the season and as such any criticism, I feel, needs to be tempered. If we’re picking holes, I thought we were sloppy in possession and lacked ideas on the ball, and whilst it seemed obvious things weren’t working for us I didn’t really see a concerted effort to change things despite the strength available on the bench. Waiting until the 75th minute to make a substitution seems a little wasteful given the luxury of being able to make 5 changes, if needed.

That said, I think Gillingham deserve some credit. They gave us the game I expected; dogged, physical, cynical at times and determined not to lose. For all that was made of their attacking record going into the game, they’re not a team that wilts easily, as they showed in their previous game grinding out a draw against Swindon with 10 men for 80 minutes.

On the whole, a little disappointing on the back of a great performance and win at Newport, and perhaps a look needed at how we approach things at home, but by no means a disaster. Three wins and three draws from our first seven games; that kind of form will see us there or thereabouts if we can just find a way to be more proactive at home.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 55
Hagrid
September 14, 2022, 9:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew
I thought Adelakun and their sub Green were very good, Green in particular

the bloke who spent half his time on his bottom? thought he was shite, quick and that was it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 55
Mariner_09
September 14, 2022, 10:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Mandron was a handful as well. I thought we got outmuscled a bit at times which is a rarity and it just felt flat on the pitch and in the stands. Still think there is a challenge to just find the right balance. Playing Richardson closer to Taylor is great but we missed a third man in the middle I thought.

Everyone seems to agree Morris and Holohan weren't at their best but maybe they just needed a bit more help. I wondered if a third centre mid to help them might have meant we didn't need Clifton's endeavour and maybe Richardson could have played off the left but looking to tuck in close to Taylor when he could. Do think Hurst has been considerably better this time around at solving these kind of problems and he's certainly got options in the squad.

Mandrom was essentially the sort of player who I was hoping we'd bring in.

Yes, he was very physical and downright aggressive but he gave our CB's more to worry about than anyone else has all season. Adelukan and Green also looked like they would be significant upgrades on what we have. In other words, I think they're an awful lot better than their league position suggests and I expect them to catapult up the league now.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 55
pontoonlew
September 14, 2022, 10:58am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

the bloke who spent half his time on his bottom? thought he was shite, quick and that was it

He got in behind Glennon 3 times in 45 mins yesterday, more than both of our wingers managed in 90. One he put in a ball across the goal which should’ve been put away, one he should’ve done better with and the other he was turned down what looked like a pen.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 55
Hagrid
September 14, 2022, 11:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

He got in behind Glennon 3 times in 45 mins yesterday, more than both of our wingers managed in 90. One he put in a ball across the goal which should’ve been put away, one he should’ve done better with and the other he was turned down what looked like a pen.

that was Adelukan who drifted over to the right side.

agree regarding the pen though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 55
HerveJosse
September 14, 2022, 12:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

that was Adelukan who drifted over to the right side.

agree regarding the pen though.

I think that was Green the number 22 who was a constant danger in the second half though at it been windy he would have struggled to stay on his feet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 55
quebec38
September 14, 2022, 12:29pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Not a very good performance at all, but a bit of an anomaly so not worth a huge inquest or any type of OTT reaction. As frustrating as it is, it happens.

Didn’t deserve to win the match last night but we definitely have it in us to beat the likes of Gillingham. Very disjointed performance from too many - couldn’t string two passes together for most of the game.

Worst thing for me was I felt we could have given Orsi a go last night for the last 15 at least. I fancy he could have got around the 6 yard box for one of those crosses fizzed across the goal.

I know we have a strong squad now and players are going to be disappointed to miss out on the 18, but I still think JMD is one of our best 18 players so he really should be on the bench at worst.

Also, the crowd seemed really quiet but I guess we weren’t left with much to make any noise about.

… and it was a nice touch having Lloyd sing before the game. I thought he did a great job.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 55
TownSNAFU5
September 14, 2022, 1:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
Our passing was below par last night.  Too many first time flicks which did not come off.

Gillingham were a lot better than their record suggested.  I liked their inventive free kick just after HT from their right hand side,  everybody expecting a cross into the box.  They played it to the right wing and a fast low cross came in right across our goal. We could easily hav conceded.

Without McAtee we needed more invention to break them down.  We were struggling a bit before the late subs came on, who did not really improve things.  Hunt was bundled to the ground off the ball.

Maybe we miss McAtee more at home, than away,   when we should or are expected to take the game to the opposition.

Overall, a good start to the season with a game in hand and injured players to come back.  And above highly-fancied Stockport.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 55
pen penfras
September 14, 2022, 6:21pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from HerveJosse

I think that was Green the number 22 who was a constant danger in the second half though at it been windy he would have struggled to stay on his feet.

He was like Kiernan, looked really good until he tried to pass and it was poor every time. He was fouled off the pitch, which I don't know what happens in that situation. The other one wasn't a penalty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 55
WelwynGardener
September 14, 2022, 7:02pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 6
Every so often we need a reality check, and this was one of those occasions. A game we might have won with a little more luck, but one we could have lost too, with some hair-raising escapes in and around our box.
Perhaps the most memorable thing for me last night was the impeccable silence during the minute of respect for our deceased Queen. You could have heard a pin drop! Having been in Scotland last Thursday when she died, I have been a 'bag of emotions' ever since. The rousing chorus of the national anthem at BP was also quite stunning. Great credit to the 6000 who attended last night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 55
barralad
September 14, 2022, 9:11pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,297
Gold Stars: 127
Nothing much to add to what's been said. I'm probably Smith's greatest fan but their big lad gave him a really tough time in the first half.
I might have missed it but don't recall seeing Waterfall's name in the credits list. For me he was immense-summed up by one minute after coming back on with a bandaged covered head he thumped a header in.
The silence before the game and Lloyd's rendition of God Save The King was probably the most moving event I've ever seen at B.P.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 55
Stranger in the Park
September 15, 2022, 10:28am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -188
Gold Stars: 7
My reading of the games so far is that we have lost the cohesiveness of last season- probably due to the inclusion of too many new players at the same time. Glennon has yet to convince me that Amos should be omitted, especially as Amos delivered so many accurate balls for Waterfall last season but has not been repeated as yet this season. The midfield looks to be a bit tame and not setting my emotions on fire. As I've stated in previous posts fourth division football is not pleasing to the eye in general and Gillingham are a classic example of the rough and tumble style to be expected. Most definitely, we will see more of this type of match, and hopefully, Hurst will adopt a more aggressive approach. Pearson used to thrive on this sort of play yet seems out of favour currently. It's a long season and there's plenty of time-and players- to make positive adjustments.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 55
Hagrid
September 15, 2022, 10:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
My reading of the games so far is that we have lost the cohesiveness of last season- probably due to the inclusion of too many new players at the same time. Glennon has yet to convince me that Amos should be omitted, especially as Amos delivered so many accurate balls for Waterfall last season but has not been repeated as yet this season. The midfield looks to be a bit tame and not setting my emotions on fire. As I've stated in previous posts fourth division football is not pleasing to the eye in general and Gillingham are a classic example of the rough and tumble style to be expected. Most definitely, we will see more of this type of match, and hopefully, Hurst will adopt a more aggressive approach. Pearson used to thrive on this sort of play yet seems out of favour currently. It's a long season and there's plenty of time-and players- to make positive adjustments.

we scored once from an amos assist last season..... Glennons already equalled that

I like amos but Glennons the better player
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 55
Maringer
September 15, 2022, 11:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,642
Gold Stars: 189
I'm not sure that Glennon is the better defender at the moment, however.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 55
Hagrid
September 15, 2022, 11:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
I'm not sure that Glennon is the better defender at the moment, however.

We've conceded 5 goals in the league, not sure we can really be looking at changing the defence..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 55
mariner91
September 15, 2022, 11:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262

I don't remember it like this at all. If anything Amos was spectacularly inconsistent with his deliveries. The play off game at Notts County his crossing was appalling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 55
Zmariner
September 15, 2022, 11:41am
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Hagrid

We've conceded 5 goals in the league, not sure we can really be looking at changing the defence..

Glennon looked shattered with 30mins to go on Tuesday and was really struggling against their winger, he just looked tired to me compared to normal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 55
Mariner_09
September 15, 2022, 11:42am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55

Before they changed system, and then personnel, Glennon was getting all sorts of space down his side. He must've put in 4-5 balls either from open play or set pieces that caused chaos before they equalised. That Green lad had the effect of pushing Glennon back and negating our threat down that side.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 55
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.