25 Pages Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
October 15, 2022, 1:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,644
Gold Stars: 189
It must be said, some of the set piece defending from both teams in that game was flipping useless. So many free headers with no proper challenge put in at both ends of the pitch.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 230 - 241
RichMariner
October 15, 2022, 9:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,160
Gold Stars: 211
On the whole, I enjoyed the series (once you get past the fact that it's primarily for an American audience).

I have mixed feelings about the venture, though.

McElhenney seems genuine enough. He's just your typical American sports fan, searching for something new to love, willing to go all in on it and live every moment.

I'm not so convinced Ryan Reynolds is. My issue with him is that he's always acting. It didn't feel like we ever knew what he was truly thinking/feeling. I'm not sure he's in it for the football; the sport, and that's where the two differ. He sees the commercial benefit/opportunity, whereas McElhenney's reasons look more genuine.

I also think there's a culture clash. It's obvious that English lower league football is a world away from Hollywood, and Shaun Harvey is not the bridge between them.

Harvey causes financial issues wherever he goes, and it's astounding that they either didn't do their research or, worse, did their research and still thought he was the guy to rely on.

I wish the Wrexham fans well and I hope for their sake they have something to celebrate, but I do wonder if this venture has the longevity their fans will demand.

They lost every game that mattered last season — at Dagenham, at Wembley v Bromley and against us. Fundamentally, it feels as though something's not quite right at the heart of the club. To me, it still feels a bit artificial.

When another rocky patch inevitably arrives, will they sack Parkinson? Will they be willing to throw more money at it if they don't go up this season? How sustainable is this mission if/when sponsors grow impatient or lose interest?

Harvey is not a football man at heart. He's a cold-hearted businessman with a list of failures in his wake. He causes damage wherever he goes.

If they hope for any success in the future, he has to go. They need an advisor to build their understanding of the league and the sport itself, but he's not it. Telling them 'it's sustainable as long as you're willing to pay for it' is terrible business advice in this game.

I probably wouldn't have watched it had I not known the ending or been in their league that season. The Jordan Davies piece was sensitively covered, and I found myself welling up at various points, so it certainly struck an emotional side every now and again.

The US/Canada are poles apart from lower league English footy and this documentary exposed it. Genuine effort from RMc to embrace it, I don't doubt that, I just fear this isn't going to end well for the Wrexham fans.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 231 - 241
LH
October 15, 2022, 10:37pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,567
Gold Stars: 174
Just finished ep 5 and I share Rich’s views on the ownership duo. Reynolds is there for a laugh it seems.

It’s great that the injustice that the National League only has two promotion spots is finally being heard in America now and we should expect the Navy SEALs to raid the EFL and NL headquarters any day now.
Private Message
Reply: 232 - 241
promotion plaice
October 15, 2022, 10:44pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

Don't tell us I haven't watched it yet.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 233 - 241
LH
October 15, 2022, 11:04pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,567
Gold Stars: 174
We’ve done that gag
Private Message
Reply: 234 - 241
HertsGTFC
October 15, 2022, 11:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from LH
Just finished ep 5 and I share Rich’s views on the ownership duo. Reynolds is there for a laugh it seems.

It’s great that the injustice that the National League only has two promotion spots is finally being heard in America now and we should expect the Navy SEALs to raid the EFL and NL headquarters any day now.

Well if they’re to be believed the USA won both World Wars on their own. They put a man on the moon and obviously invented the production line but getting 3 up 3 down could be too big a challenge for even those good old boys.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 235 - 241
aldi_01
October 16, 2022, 7:39am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’d echo what Rich has said, in the parts I’ve watched I never know if Reynolds is acting or not which is odd. I don’t know what their end game is and whilst there’s a potential happy ending in promotion which ultimately makes the club more saleable, there’s still a risk that they don’t go up and they lose interest or their sponsors lose interest.

I’m still confused as to why that melt went to the pub at extra time but hey ho.

It worries me that two, allegedly intelligent blokes haven’t done their due diligence on Harvey. For that alone, I hope they fail miserably.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 236 - 241
Mayaman
October 16, 2022, 10:53am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
And OK documentary IMO.  I can't put my finger on it but I really enjoyed the last episode.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 237 - 241
TownSNAFU5
October 16, 2022, 9:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
Did anything interesting happen in the last episode?  Did we have a shot on target?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 238 - 241
aldi_01
October 16, 2022, 9:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Did anything interesting happen in the last episode?  Did we have a shot on target?

Joking aside, they built the game up and at least acknowledged us and the little interview with Stockwood was a nice touch…sadly, the coverage of the game was woeful with all the excrement editing. It took all the emotion and tension away, for me anyway.

I’m well aware that no video or TV footage will ever replicate how I felt in that stadium for that game but they literally killed it. Even our winner, there was so much they could’ve done and they didn’t. Panning around the crowd, the juxtaposition between both sets of fans, almost sat side by side in that ‘upper tier’, the players reactions, the benches, everything was lost for me.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 239 - 241
25 Pages Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham Documentary

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.