immariner
August 20, 2022, 10:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Kris2

Pepple should have scored, spent too long and too many touches looking for a tap in and botched it, should have curled it in after his first touch which looked a good one, he's a young player who will learn from that. Taylor's chance looked less easy but again took too many touches when he should have buried it. We really need to sign somebody who can take these chances because we won't have McAtee back for a while.

He noticably did that against Rochdale too, should have hit it early when he found himself with a little bit of time in the area. Blocked shot led to the corner from which Waterfall scored the winner. Ptomising that he's found himself in these positions in consecutive games, he'll learn from these experiences and become a better player making better decisions. What's interesting now is seeing whether Hurst will be tempted to start with him and Taylor soon as we have looked better in the last two games when they've both been on the pitch and how he would change the shape in midfield to accommodate two forwards
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 90
Norseman
August 20, 2022, 10:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +278
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from davmariner
Pretty much agree with Hurst’s assessment of the game. Too many players well off the pace today as I’ve eluded to in other threads.

Thought Green was very poor but improved once he was moved further back and made some good challenges towards the end of the second half.

Also blocked a header that was going in from a corner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 90
Squinter
August 20, 2022, 10:24pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +587
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Let’s be honest, the selection on the left side was a bit odd today.

Don't think the selection was wrong, but more the fact the ball never went that side first half.   It was only when Clifton came on that the ball started being played to that side.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 90
MuddyWaters
August 20, 2022, 10:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Squinter

Don't think the selection was wrong, but more the fact the ball never went that side first half.   It was only when Clifton came on that the ball started being played to that side.  

Don’t like to pick out individuals but I’m struggling to work out why you would want to change the team that started well on Tuesday and, if you did, why you would pick Wearne ahead of Harry.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 90
chaos33
August 20, 2022, 10:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,980
Gold Stars: 361
Maybe for Wearne and Kiernan to switch sides and function as more of an attacking threat. It didn’t really work though. Nobody got close enough to Taylor and we didn’t pass it enough. They didn’t let us.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 90
MuddyWaters
August 20, 2022, 10:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from chaos33
Maybe for Wearne and Kiernan to switch sides and function as more of an attacking threat. It didn’t really work though. Nobody got close enough to Taylor and we didn’t pass it enough. They didn’t let us.

Judging by the substitutions, I don’t think PH was impressed by either.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 90
Squinter
August 20, 2022, 11:01pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +587
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Don’t like to pick out individuals but I’m struggling to work out why you would want to change the team that started well on Tuesday and, if you did, why you would pick Wearne ahead of Harry.

I'm not sure why it didn't work, Wearne did nothing wrong, it was more the fact the ball never got played to that side.   We've got a fantastic player in Glennon, but again the ball was never played to him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 90
Maringer
August 20, 2022, 11:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,646
Gold Stars: 189
The highly physical approach employed by Sutton was a struggle for us to deal with today. Not saying they were dirty, but we had to battle for every second on the ball and generally didn't do so well enough. In the first half especially, they seemed to get to the second ball most of the time, but luckily didn't have the quality to create anything much from the crosses they were able to put in. One of the scrappiest games I've seen for some time and we simply couldn't get the ball down on the deck and, when we did, we were practically tripping over the ball when trying to pass it. I heard the post-match interview for a change and thought Hurst was actually complaining about the length of the grass with his comments about it being too long, but I was driving so might have been mistaken. I certainly agree with him that we just weren't good enough on the day and the number of times they took a throw into space in the corner for a player to run onto was just really dreadful, sloppy defending. That was a greatly weakened Sutton team out there today, by the way. First choice striker and a couple of their best defenders missing, apparently to go along with the fact that their two best players from last season have been poached by other clubs.

Both teams got away with a defensive rick thanks to decent saves by the respective keepers (the strikers might have done better on each occasion). A pity Taylor's chance came right at the death.

I was probably most impressed by Pepple who did some really good stuff after he came on. Looked very lively and actually worked pretty well alongside Taylor and looked a lot sharper than his debut against Crewe the other week. Could prove to be a real asset if he keeps improving.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 90
chaos33
August 21, 2022, 12:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,980
Gold Stars: 361
If we are going to continue to play Taylor we’ve got to get at least 2 players close/linking in with him. That’s my view.
That needs to be one of the midfielders adapting to the JM role. If not, I’d go with two upfront and four in midfield. Taylor needs a player close to him to be seen to best effect.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 90
marinerjase
August 21, 2022, 1:31am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,665
Gold Stars: 147
Exactly that..Taylor does a job for the side much to his detriment..gets isolated, whilst he takes the hits. Needs someone close..a pest. Tbf in some ways -,and PH alluded to it - it’s up to those given a chance to take it ..and they didn’t today. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a few in by end of month..back up keeper, wide midfielder, striker at least.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 90
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.