7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
August 14, 2022, 6:43pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
I love Clifton as much as you all do, however, he can not continue to play left mid/wing, discuss

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
pizzzza
August 14, 2022, 6:44pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
I love Clifton as much as you all do, however, he can not continue to play left mid/wing, discuss

Well, he can if PH keeps picking him in that position.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 66
fishboyUTM
August 14, 2022, 6:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
For me, he plays centre midfield or he doesn't play at all. He gives everythinhg, but he runs in straight lines, he isn't going to drop his shoulder and beat a full back. He is not a winger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 66
quebec38
August 14, 2022, 7:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Personally I don’t think he affects games enough in central midfield and Green, Morris and Holohan are all better options there. Harry ended last season really well on the left hand side and is a good option there for how we want to play ie with a grafter on one side who can cover central areas too.

I am happy with him there right now but I can understand why people would rather see Wearne or try the Amos-Glennon combination some more.

For those wanting him in the centre, who would you drop out to accommodate for this?
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 66
aldi_01
August 14, 2022, 7:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Surely the elephant in the room is that for all his commitment and work rate, we’re 4 games in back in the league and it’s clear that he’s probably not anything more than a sub?

He improved massively and you’d imagine Hurst understandably loves him but I’m not sure he’s ever gonna be effective out wide and I wouldn’t drop anyone in the middle of the park…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 66
MuddyWaters
August 14, 2022, 7:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
He’s not the answer on the left side for sure. Is he better than any of the other three CMs? I guess we’ll find out if and when he plays there - is it worth resting Green to find out? He’s clearly not fully fit.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 66
IlkleyMariner
August 14, 2022, 7:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
We have lost one game in four.
Don’t expect major surgery
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 66
HerveJosse
August 14, 2022, 7:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,217
Gold Stars: 144
Gave me view on on this already today in just back. I don’t think it’s an elephant in the room situation more of a fish out of water situation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 66
Roast Em Bobby
August 14, 2022, 7:37pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,723
Gold Stars: 44
Why do people always talk as if there is a fixed starting eleven throughout the season? Harry has some great attributes, which will be more suited to certain games/opposition than others. It's a squad game and I'm sure he will play an important part.

What's the point in trying to do him down?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 66
Mariner_09
August 14, 2022, 7:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
We have lost one game in four.
Don’t expect major surgery

Not sure bringing Kiernan in for Harry and shifting Wearne to the left is major surgery

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 66
fishboyUTM
August 14, 2022, 7:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
If we are to play a three man central midfield then there will be injuries and suspensions in that area. We don't have too many options so Harry will play a lot of football there you'd have thought.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 66
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
August 14, 2022, 7:50pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
Why do people always talk as if there is a fixed starting eleven throughout the season? Harry has some great attributes, which will be more suited to certain games/opposition than others. It's a squad game and I'm sure he will play an important part.

You could not be more wrong, Clifton has fitness levels that the rest of the team can only dream of, however, he is not a left winger, get him in the middle is all I am saying

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 66
tashee69
August 14, 2022, 7:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +959
Gold Stars: 23

Very well said. Last season, we got promotion because of the squad, not the starting 11. The ability to bring on fresh legs and a different option got us there. This year we have the ability for 5 subs, so I’m expecting, for some games, a lot of changes

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 66
dapperz fun pub
August 14, 2022, 7:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,021
Gold Stars: 83

You could not be more wrong, Clifton has fitness levels that the rest of the team can only dream of, however, he is not a left winger, get him in the middle is all I am saying

He lacks that bit of technical ability that a centre mid should have he would be a liability for us in that position. No one is questioning his attitude or his superb work rate  but the truth is footballing ability at this level is questionable. He’s a valued member of the squad and can do lots of jobs for us but running a game from midfield isn’t one of them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 66
HertsGTFC
August 14, 2022, 8:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228

He’s not a left winger but can play left mid field. If we go to a straight 4-4-2 he’s out of position.

When Maher is fit I think we may well play 3 CB’s so let’s see what if there’s a starting place for Harry.

Could we have a thread about the good things he brings to the team next time please?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 66
HarrogateMariner
August 14, 2022, 8:07pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
Clifton did a great job out wide on the left last season, he had some fantastic games playing in that position. However it has always felt like a temporary fix to me. I
remember another post saying similar a few weeks ago, but long term playing consistently in that position will not do him any favours.
I can't imagine he sees his long term future as playing there either. If he was left footed maybe, but he isn't.
The best thing for us and himself is for Hurst to start using him in his natural center midfield role. We play 3 in that position and including Kouhri we only have 5 players for that role, so I predict he will get plenty of game time in a more natural position this season. Hurst has mentioned him playing that role on a few occasions this season, so I don't believe Hurst doesn't trust him in that role. I think he was asked to play on the left last season due to weaknesses in the squad, not because he can't play in the centre.
I say all this as a huge Harry fan- personally I don't think we have seen the best of him yet and that will come with a change of position.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 66
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
August 14, 2022, 8:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

He lacks that bit of technical ability that a centre mid should have he would be a liability for us in that position. No one is questioning his attitude or his superb work rate  but the truth is footballing ability at this level is questionable. He’s a valued member of the squad and can do lots of jobs for us but running a game from midfield isn’t one of them

Maybe you are right but he has played a few decent games in the middle of the park so not sure he’s a liability, I do agree on his technical ability but I think he makes up for that with workrate and attitude. Skilful opponents do not like to play against a physical monster, for example JMD, technically brilliant but Harry would run him into next month, either way I don’t care where he plays but I think we all know it’s a dilemma

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 66
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
August 14, 2022, 8:13pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

He’s not a left winger but can play left mid field. If we go to a straight 4-4-2 he’s out of position.

When Maher is fit I think we may well play 3 CB’s so let’s see what if there’s a starting place for Harry.

Could we have a thread about the good things he brings to the team next time please?

Listen Mr guardian reader, I was not digging him out. I have posted lots of positives about him. All I am saying is that he is not a left mid or winger. Do you want a hug?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 66
headingly_mariner
August 14, 2022, 8:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,391
Gold Stars: 120
Easily our most consistent performer. A rare off day for him yesterday, but still put a shift in.  

I've no idea of the stats but I'd imagine he is up there for most efforts on goal and crosses into the box for someone who is not attacking.
In terms of athleticism nobody in our squad can get close to him and his ability to cover the ground and his in your face style should not be underestimated.

He's been very close to being on the scoresheet in the league, shots on target in every game. Hit the post against Northampton and should have been slipped in 1 on 1 three times by Mcatee at Orient.

Huge part of our success and why the system works, criminally underrated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 66
dapperz fun pub
August 14, 2022, 8:20pm
Special Brew Drinker

Maybe you are right but he has played a few decent games in the middle of the park so not sure he’s a liability, I do agree on his technical ability but I think he makes up for that with workrate and attitude. Skilful opponents do not like to play against a physical monster, for example JMD, technically brilliant but Harry would run him into next month, either way I don’t care where he plays but I think we all know it’s a dilemma

He’s played in the middle a few times and from I’ve seen he’s been overwhelmed I can’t honestly think of a game where he’s dominated the game and took it by the scruff of its neck I honestly can’t. Work rate will take you so far but that killer pass just isn’t there. I still see his value in the squad and would genuinely love him to find that bit extra footballing nous not trying to urine anyone off but it’s my opinion
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 66
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
August 14, 2022, 8:23pm
Snakebite drinker

He’s played in the middle a few times and from I’ve seen he’s been overwhelmed I can’t honestly think of a game where he’s dominated the game and took it by the scruff of its neck I honestly can’t. Work rate will take you so far but that killer pass just isn’t there. I still see his value in the squad and would genuinely love him to find that bit extra footballing nous not trying to urine anyone off but it’s my opinion

Happy with that, I just think it’s a situation that needs discussing, not that it matters because we are not PH but it’s good to see different opinions

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 66
dapperz fun pub
August 14, 2022, 8:28pm
Special Brew Drinker

Happy with that, I just think it’s a situation that needs discussing, not that it matters because we are not PH but it’s good to see different opinions

Exactly it’s all opinions mate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 66
It Bites
August 14, 2022, 8:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,258
Gold Stars: 266
I thought this was going to be another Tommy Lee thread 😂
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 66
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 14, 2022, 9:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,907
Gold Stars: 179

Not a chance. His shoulders are no way strong enough. Same would go for javelin and hammer.

Maybe cycling or long jump would be better suited  

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 66
Swansea_Mariner
August 14, 2022, 9:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Seems to be suffering  from the old fans eye view similar to Danny Butterfield.

Could be playing in league one right now if he wanted. Was picked by not one but two Wales u21 coaches and has been a first team choice for almost every fixture for the last three town managers.

What elephant?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 66
Garth
August 14, 2022, 9:47pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27

Wasn't he mom a few games ago?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 66
chaos33
August 14, 2022, 9:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,971
Gold Stars: 361

This.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 66
August 14, 2022, 9:54pm
Guest User
What headingley mariner said really. Incredible athlete.
Reply: 27 - 66
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 14, 2022, 10:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,763
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from 140381
What headingley mariner said really. Incredible athlete.

Just not the best footballer and for me great squad player, not least because of his versatility, but IMO should certainly not be starting wide left but as others have said we all judge and rate players differently and he obviously has the support of our Manager so when he’s playing I support him but feel we have better options.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 66
August 14, 2022, 10:26pm
Guest User
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Just not the best footballer and for me great squad player, not least because of his versatility, but IMO should certainly not be starting wide left but as others have said we all judge and rate players differently and he obviously has the support of our Manager so when he’s playing I support him but feel we have better options.

Yep, all opinions. UTM.
Reply: 29 - 66
WelwynGardener
August 14, 2022, 10:35pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 6
It's a squad game. When Khan, Maher and Orsi return to fitness, there will be one almighty scramble for places in the match day squad as things stand at present. However, it is rare that everyone is fit to play every game, so there will be rotation, hopefully seamless rotation as injuries/suspensions/losses of form come and go. Clifton's greatest attribute is his fitness and ability to play several different roles as needed (reminiscent of James Milner earlier in his career). Hopefully, PH now has a squad, near enough anyway, which can enable a strong team to perform with consistency over prolonged periods of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 66
Poojah
August 14, 2022, 10:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Seems to be suffering  from the old fans eye view similar to Danny Butterfield.

Could be playing in league one right now if he wanted. Was picked by not one but two Wales u21 coaches and has been a first team choice for almost every fixture for the last three town managers.

What elephant?

The ex-player that springs to mind for me is Stacy Coldicott. Not a player you would particularly notice for his work on the ball and not exactly the all action type to be diving into crunching tackles, but incredibly clever in his defensive movement off the ball and an absolute workhorse to the extent that he didn’t need to do any of the spectacular stuff.

The ground Harry covers means that he stops a lot of dangerous opposition balls before they even happen because the opportunity is no longer on. That’s the kind of thing that’s easy to miss as fans watching games, but that the kind of data our staff are now pricy too and the extensive footage which will be poured through will reveal.

Forest Green’s recruitment in recent seasons has been pretty good; enough to carry them from the NL to League One in relative short order. They weren’t interested in him purely on the basis of an Ian Burchnall whim, you can be sure of that.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 66
Limerick Mariner
August 15, 2022, 12:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,720
Gold Stars: 137
As above, there is no elephant. Just fish…

This thread is pointless speculation; Harry will be picked to start when Paul Hurst decides to pick him, which I expect will be most games this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 66
lukeo
August 15, 2022, 5:54am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,395
Gold Stars: 149
Negative post again after we battled hard and grinded out a win. Typical.
PH is more experienced than us so I'll leave him to make the decisions
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 66
DB
August 15, 2022, 6:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Hursty is not one for sentiment as per Macca last season. Harry plays and does what Hursty wants otherwise he wouldn't be in the squad, never mind the team.

So if Harry is good enough for Hurst he's good enough for me playing where he's told to play.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 66
crusty ole pie
August 15, 2022, 7:25am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,384
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from DB
Hursty is not one for sentiment as per Macca last season. Harry plays and does what Hursty wants otherwise he wouldn't be in the squad, never mind the team.

So if Harry is good enough for Hurst he's good enough for me playing where he's told to play.

Am with db on this one who are we to question ph
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 66
GtfcGarner
August 15, 2022, 7:31am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,793
Gold Stars: 26
Probably the unseen side of the game which most people un-appreciate. Whilst not being Scott Neilson with the ball at his feet the amount of ground that he covers and provides Glennon time upon time would be like doubling up on a winger to nullify their threat. Always manages to get forward aswell, never ever tires and would play CM, LB, RB you name it and wouldn't moan about it, I bet he's brilliant to have in that dressing room and a joy for Paul to coach as a pro that simply knuckles down and tries their very very best every time he's out there. Don't forget he could of took the extra money and moved to FGR and playing a division higher now, some of us seem to have short memories of last year where Harry was brilliant in games. He's one of our own and even if he did have an off game yesterday and isn't a traditional winger, lets stick with him and show him that he's got our backing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 66
sam gy
August 15, 2022, 8:08am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
He’s played 112 games in league two - all his career apart from one season. Not sure why some seem to be indicating this is some kind of step too far for him?

Also, someone saying they’re struggling to remember one game where he stood out in the league? There’s been plenty of games where he’s been MOM or receives a lot of plaudits. I know that’s the case, but yeah I’m not Rainman and I’m not gonna just pluck an away win at Walsall or whatever out from my memory bank.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 66
ska face
August 15, 2022, 8:20am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
For someone who gets in behind the defence so often, probably 3 or 4 times on Saturday alone, he doesn’t really get enough assists. He always seems to be overstretching when it comes to playing that final ball across goal, and never seems to pick someone out when he had the opportunity.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 66
darren9
August 15, 2022, 8:39am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +607
Gold Stars: 39
I’m fully accept that Paul Hurst, an ex footballer and football manager with a decent reputation in the game who has so far guided us to 2 promotions and who see’s the players in training daily knows more about football than I do and than some random blokes on the internet.

On that basis if Hurst thinks Clifton is the best option to play on the left, middle or anywhere else for that matter then that’s what should happen.

If you really want an opinion from someone who knows the sum total of naff all about football then mine is that Clifton’s main problems are;

1. that he’s a ‘local lad done good’ and some people like to build these types up and then knock them down again … he’s been somewhat built up last year, maybe people see a need to knock him down again?
2. He’s very versatile and will do a job pretty much everywhere.

I think if/when Clifton does leave that’s when he’ll be truly missed and appreciated by the fan base in a similar way to Danny Butterfield.

Clifton is very good at football, he’s also fit and motivated. This is exactly what we want in a Grimsby player.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 66
HertsGTFC
August 15, 2022, 8:48am

Barley Wine Drinker

Listen Mr guardian reader, I was not digging him out. I have posted lots of positives about him. All I am saying is that he is not a left mid or winger. Do you want a hug?

Maybe if you bought a paper on a Sunday to stop you getting bored you may not have to post sh1te in an attempt to get a hug.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 66
aldi_01
August 15, 2022, 9:01am

Barley Wine Drinker
It’s a football forum and people have a varying opinions.

Clifton is, in some respects, the James Milner/John O’Shea of GTFC. Played in a variety of positions and is Mr Dependable and I guess every team craves a player like that. I imagine his data is off the charts with work rate, breaking up play a winning second balls. Hurst is meticulous in his preparation so I’ve no doubt he realises that by playing Clifton, in theory, our left hand side is defensively sound.

My own view of Clifton for a long time was that he got a game and the support of the fans because he was local, had he been from elsewhere he’d probably have taken a lot more flak. That said, he has improved and I guess, as highlighted in the thread on culture, he is symptomatic of that. Leaders that trust and believe in him have seen him improve. That has to be commended. Hurst picks him for a reason and whilst not protected from criticism, Hurst is now, for me in the same list as Buckley in terms of what he’s achieved at town, regardless of a relegation (let’s face it, we were dead and buried before he came in) so therefore, we have to trust him.

Personally I think Clifton’s ability to cross is baffling, he gets in to amazing positions and can clearer read the game exceptionally well but his crosses range from pitiful to alright. If he could cross a ball, even 1 decent one in 3, he’s be dangerous and have more assists.

I suspect this thread has come about because he was poor on Saturday and with the formation change and subs he became much more effective.

I don’t think anyone has said anything that’s not true in this thread and it is all about opinions. Whatever your criticism, I’d rather he be a town player than playing against us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 66
BeijingMariner
August 15, 2022, 9:13am
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Easily our most consistent performer.

I would say that title belongs to Luke Waterfall at the moment and for the last season in it's entireity. Agree with all your positive statements on Harry though. He bleeds black and white, for sure and on a good day his work will be part of what gets us a ground out victory. He is a squad player through and through, and we need them.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 42 - 66
August 15, 2022, 10:25am
Guest User
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Maybe if you bought a paper on a Sunday to stop you getting bored you may not have to post sh1te in an attempt to get a hug.

He didn't post shite, he posted fact, Clifton is NOT a LW or LM.  

Reply: 43 - 66
aldi_01
August 15, 2022, 10:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

Thierry Henry wasn’t a front man…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 66
August 15, 2022, 10:29am
Guest User
Quoted from aldi_01

Come on, comparing HC with TH is a complete joke!

Reply: 45 - 66
fishcake63
August 15, 2022, 10:36am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
For what it's worth i see our left hand side moving forward as amos & glennon pushing up one i think harry done his best  out wide but stepping up a level we need more than workrate , put harry in his best position & will see a better player in my view
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 66
diehardmariner
August 15, 2022, 11:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Personally I don't see the issue as Clifton operating on the left wing, it's more a case of what system that is in.

In a 4-4-2 (or the 4-4-1-1 we played last season) with attacking full-backs, having a more defensive minded winger isn't an issue.  This season, largely because of injuries to Taylor and McAtee we've gone with a 4-3-3 that doesn't suit what Clifton can bring really.

Last season, having Clifton operate on the left hand side of midfield gave us so many added benefits beyond his sheer work-rate and energy that came from him cutting inside

• It created an overload in midfield in our favour
  • It created space for the attacking left-back to exploit. who he was always happy to drop back and cover.
  • The two central midfielders could shift across which mitigated the less defensive game from the likes of JMD on the right wing.
  • As above, the shifting across allowed cover for Efete bombing on from right-back.

This year, operating further up the pitch there's more onus on offering an attacking threat and both providing a supply line to the other attackers and supporting them.  With 3 in midfield there's also less of a need to have his energy levels topping everything up.

Ideally, I'd want to see Kiernan and Wearne either side of Taylor in this system.  But our outstanding feature this season, the Orient game aside, has been the sheer energy and press that we put on teams, of which Clifton is a huge part of.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 66
DB
August 15, 2022, 12:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from aldi_01

Clifton is, in some respects, the James Milner/John O’Shea of GTFC. Played in a variety of positions and is Mr Dependable and I guess every team craves a player like that. I imagine his data is off the charts with work rate, breaking up play a winning second balls. Hurst is meticulous in his preparation so I’ve no doubt he realises that by playing Clifton, in theory, our left hand side is defensively sound.

My own view of Clifton for a long time was that he got a game and the support of the fans because he was local, had he been from elsewhere he’d probably have taken a lot more flak. That said, he has improved and I guess, as highlighted in the thread on culture, he is symptomatic of that. Leaders that trust and believe in him have seen him improve. That has to be commended. Hurst picks him for a reason and whilst not protected from criticism, Hurst is now, for me in the same list as Buckley in terms of what he’s achieved at town, regardless of a relegation (let’s face it, we were dead and buried before he came in) so therefore, we have to trust him.

Personally I think Clifton’s ability to cross is baffling, he gets in to amazing positions and can clearer read the game exceptionally well but his crosses range from pitiful to alright. If he could cross a ball, even 1 decent one in 3, he’s be dangerous and have more assists.

I suspect this thread has come about because he was poor on Saturday and with the formation change and subs he became much more effective.

I don’t think anyone has said anything that’s not true in this thread and it is all about opinions. Whatever your criticism, I’d rather he be a town player than playing against us.

I absolutely agree with you. I enjoyed both the Kerr and Buckley eras. We are now at the onset of the Hurst era so let's embrace it and long may it last.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 66
Stew0_0
August 15, 2022, 12:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
would clifton on the right of the front three with Glennon on the left ahead of Amos be an option with Wearne being an impact sub??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 66
MarinerDevil
August 15, 2022, 12:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from diehardmariner
Last season, having Clifton operate on the left hand side of midfield gave us so many added benefits beyond his sheer work-rate and energy that came from him cutting inside

• It created space for the attacking left-back to exploit. who he was always happy to drop back and cover.
  • The two central midfielders could shift across which mitigated the less defensive game from the likes of JMD on the right wing.
  • As above, the shifting across allowed cover for Efete bombing on from right-back.

Yeah good post.

I would add that Clifton isn't particularly effective in a central position, especially with only 2 in CM, because his touch isn't sharp enough. In tight areas he's likely to lose possession. Moving him out wide allows him the space to exploit what he's good at, like progressive carries, supporting attacks by moving into the box and, of course, his versatility.

It works when he picks the ball up in our half, carries it forward and lays it off quickly, usually to McAtee or Amos. It doesn't work when he's caught one-on-one with a defender, as he's not likely to dribble past him or work the space to put in a decent cross, especially on his left foot. He also takes up good positions in the box, often getting a shot away. His conversion rate last season was decent.

You're right about him drifting inside and creating an overload in midfield, but is that really necessary this season with us playing 3 centrally? I think with Taylor still being utilised as a target man and Green/Holohan being more advanced to support him, we probably need more specialised wingers/inside forwards to be able quickly move it on from a congested central area and provide fast counter attacks.

But I can absolutely see why Hurst has utilised Clifton in this way and it will definitely work in some situations. Our squad is even more versatile this year so I don't think we'll be stuck playing one system all season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 66
Mariner_09
August 15, 2022, 1:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from diehardmariner
Personally I don't see the issue as Clifton operating on the left wing, it's more a case of what system that is in.

In a 4-4-2 (or the 4-4-1-1 we played last season) with attacking full-backs, having a more defensive minded winger isn't an issue.  This season, largely because of injuries to Taylor and McAtee we've gone with a 4-3-3 that doesn't suit what Clifton can bring really.

This year, operating further up the pitch there's more onus on offering an attacking threat and both providing a supply line to the other attackers and supporting them.  With 3 in midfield there's also less of a need to have his energy levels topping everything up.

Ideally, I'd want to see Kiernan and Wearne either side of Taylor in this system.  But our outstanding feature this season, the Orient game aside, has been the sheer energy and press that we put on teams, of which Clifton is a huge part of.

Maybe we need a horses for courses approach. Teams will sooner rather than later learn that with our energy and fitness levels that they’ll drop deep and allow us the ball. That won’t be Harry’s game and where you need more adventurous players with more guile and quality.

Better teams will still go for it against us and leave us more openings and also demand we defend more, so you’d select Harry in those sorts of games. With injuries, suspensions and losses of form, none of which Harry suffers from, he’ll still play a lot of games.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 66
GrimPol
August 15, 2022, 1:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -785
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from darren9
I’m fully accept that Paul Hurst, an ex footballer and football manager with a decent reputation in the game who has so far guided us to 2 promotions and who see’s the players in training daily knows more about football than I do and than some random blokes on the internet.

On that basis if Hurst thinks Clifton is the best option to play on the left, middle or anywhere else for that matter then that’s what should happen.

If you really want an opinion from someone who knows the sum total of naff all about football then mine is that Clifton’s main problems are;

1. that he’s a ‘local lad done good’ and some people like to build these types up and then knock them down again … he’s been somewhat built up last year, maybe people see a need to knock him down again?
2. He’s very versatile and will do a job pretty much everywhere.

I think if/when Clifton does leave that’s when he’ll be truly missed and appreciated by the fan base in a similar way to Danny Butterfield.

Clifton is very good at football, he’s also fit and motivated. This is exactly what we want in a Grimsby player.

If Harry didn't want to stay, and PH didn't want him, then no 2 year contract would have been signed. Harry isn't a journeyman.
He hasn't played in goal yet, but he's still got 2 years, so you never know. I think GTFC is lucky to have him.

Joni Mitchell said it best
"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 66
HertsGTFC
August 15, 2022, 1:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

The posting sh1te bit was more around throwing terms around like Guardian Reader in refence to someone who may have a differing opinion rather than the OP.

Personally I don't think H is a left winger either but do think he can play on the left of mid field.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 66
ancientmariner54
August 15, 2022, 5:15pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -178
Gold Stars: 13
He's not a left winger and we have better in centre mid positions .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 66
ginnywings
August 15, 2022, 5:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 123614

It's not a fact though is it? If PH plays him as a left midfielder, then that is what he is.

While I agree he isn't a traditional hug the line wide man, we have to get away from these labels and trying to put people into familiar boxes. It's akin to those who always bang on about 4-4-2 when the team are not performing well, as we saw in the mid part of last season.

The game has changed and instead of looking at what he doesn't do well, we should look at what he does do well.

If PH didn't want him, he could have let him leave the club, but he brings so much to the team and is one of those players that are more appreciated by management than fans. There always seems to be one or two in every era.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 66
MuddyWaters
August 15, 2022, 6:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Is Harry the best option in any of the midfield positions? Maybe, maybe not. But, he’s the only one capable of playing in all of them.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 66
Roast Em Bobby
August 15, 2022, 9:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,723
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Is Harry the best option in any of the midfield positions? Maybe, maybe not. But, he’s the only one capable of playing in all of them.

It entirely depends on the opposition and what PH's game plan for a given match is, as to whether he is the best option or not.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 66
toontown
August 15, 2022, 9:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
I think he's better out wide, right back or right wing back aremaybe his best positions for me. But I think he's better at LM or RM than in the middle. For me he gives away too many free kicks in dangerous areas when playing in the middle for a start. Its certainly isn't 'fact' that he's not a LM when he played there pretty much all of last seasons promotion campaign.
He was a great consistent performer last season, and had earned L1 interest which tells you a lot.

He isn't the best passer of the ball although he's improved, he isnt the best in front of goal but he gets in front of goal more than many others would in his position because of his pace and incredible fitness, so that helps redress that. Obviously he's a strong tackler and his off the ball work is fantastic, he's also a very positive player that drives forward when he does have the ball.

I suppose he may be usurped from the LM role if, for example, the glennon/Amos thing comes off or another player takes that spot. But that's not the same as saying he can't play there.

He didn't have a good game on Saturday but his pace was one of our only outlets during that first 30 minute hiding we were getting. Wearne was struggling badly with the defensive side of his role, it was hardly just Harry that was struggling, it was all over the pitch we were struggling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 66
male private Nale
August 16, 2022, 9:47am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -924
Gold Stars: 136

Exactly it’s all opinions mate

Opinions are only allowed if they concur with the beetroot sarney brigade.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 66
male private Nale
August 16, 2022, 9:51am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -924
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from aldi_01

Jesus how irrelevant ..I need to post something so I will just post anything..... bore off bud
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 66
Tinymariner
August 16, 2022, 12:05pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from aldi_01

Absolutely spot on.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 66
TAGG
August 16, 2022, 12:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
Does there have to be a 'pick on HC' thread every season FFS  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 66
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
August 16, 2022, 3:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from TAGG
Does there have to be a 'pick on HC' thread every season FFS  

Heavens above, pick on HC, what are you on about? It was an open thread on a footy forum to discuss wether Clifton would be better in the centre of the park than he is on the left side. Some people just want to be offended for the sake of it. No one has picked on Clifton, I think he’s great, I just  started a discussion on a forum.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 66
MuddyWaters
August 16, 2022, 5:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Heavens above, pick on HC, what are you on about? It was an open thread on a footy forum to discuss wether Clifton would be better in the centre of the park than he is on the left side. Some people just want to be offended for the sake of it. No one has picked on Clifton, I think he’s great, I just  started a discussion on a forum.

Absolutely - I think HC is a great asset to the team & the club but I'm just not convinced he's the best left sided midfield option.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 66
TAGG
August 16, 2022, 6:29pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126

Yes it is.
Every season there is a 'can Harry do this that or the other'
sometimes two a season.
He keeps getting picked, keeps doing the biz and keeps being Town through and through.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 66
Swansea_Mariner
August 16, 2022, 7:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from TAGG

Yes it is.
Every season there is a 'can Harry do this that or the other'
sometimes two a season.
He keeps getting picked, keeps doing the biz and keeps being Town through and through.

Awaits the 2031/32 season thread 'His legs have gone'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 66
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The elephant in the room

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.