7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
WelwynGardener
August 14, 2022, 10:35pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 6
It's a squad game. When Khan, Maher and Orsi return to fitness, there will be one almighty scramble for places in the match day squad as things stand at present. However, it is rare that everyone is fit to play every game, so there will be rotation, hopefully seamless rotation as injuries/suspensions/losses of form come and go. Clifton's greatest attribute is his fitness and ability to play several different roles as needed (reminiscent of James Milner earlier in his career). Hopefully, PH now has a squad, near enough anyway, which can enable a strong team to perform with consistency over prolonged periods of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 66
Poojah
August 14, 2022, 10:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Seems to be suffering  from the old fans eye view similar to Danny Butterfield.

Could be playing in league one right now if he wanted. Was picked by not one but two Wales u21 coaches and has been a first team choice for almost every fixture for the last three town managers.

What elephant?

The ex-player that springs to mind for me is Stacy Coldicott. Not a player you would particularly notice for his work on the ball and not exactly the all action type to be diving into crunching tackles, but incredibly clever in his defensive movement off the ball and an absolute workhorse to the extent that he didn’t need to do any of the spectacular stuff.

The ground Harry covers means that he stops a lot of dangerous opposition balls before they even happen because the opportunity is no longer on. That’s the kind of thing that’s easy to miss as fans watching games, but that the kind of data our staff are now pricy too and the extensive footage which will be poured through will reveal.

Forest Green’s recruitment in recent seasons has been pretty good; enough to carry them from the NL to League One in relative short order. They weren’t interested in him purely on the basis of an Ian Burchnall whim, you can be sure of that.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 66
Limerick Mariner
August 15, 2022, 12:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,727
Gold Stars: 137
As above, there is no elephant. Just fish…

This thread is pointless speculation; Harry will be picked to start when Paul Hurst decides to pick him, which I expect will be most games this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 66
lukeo
August 15, 2022, 5:54am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
Negative post again after we battled hard and grinded out a win. Typical.
PH is more experienced than us so I'll leave him to make the decisions
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 66
DB
August 15, 2022, 6:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Hursty is not one for sentiment as per Macca last season. Harry plays and does what Hursty wants otherwise he wouldn't be in the squad, never mind the team.

So if Harry is good enough for Hurst he's good enough for me playing where he's told to play.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 66
crusty ole pie
August 15, 2022, 7:25am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,384
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from DB
Hursty is not one for sentiment as per Macca last season. Harry plays and does what Hursty wants otherwise he wouldn't be in the squad, never mind the team.

So if Harry is good enough for Hurst he's good enough for me playing where he's told to play.

Am with db on this one who are we to question ph
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 66
GtfcGarner
August 15, 2022, 7:31am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,793
Gold Stars: 26
Probably the unseen side of the game which most people un-appreciate. Whilst not being Scott Neilson with the ball at his feet the amount of ground that he covers and provides Glennon time upon time would be like doubling up on a winger to nullify their threat. Always manages to get forward aswell, never ever tires and would play CM, LB, RB you name it and wouldn't moan about it, I bet he's brilliant to have in that dressing room and a joy for Paul to coach as a pro that simply knuckles down and tries their very very best every time he's out there. Don't forget he could of took the extra money and moved to FGR and playing a division higher now, some of us seem to have short memories of last year where Harry was brilliant in games. He's one of our own and even if he did have an off game yesterday and isn't a traditional winger, lets stick with him and show him that he's got our backing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 66
sam gy
August 15, 2022, 8:08am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
He’s played 112 games in league two - all his career apart from one season. Not sure why some seem to be indicating this is some kind of step too far for him?

Also, someone saying they’re struggling to remember one game where he stood out in the league? There’s been plenty of games where he’s been MOM or receives a lot of plaudits. I know that’s the case, but yeah I’m not Rainman and I’m not gonna just pluck an away win at Walsall or whatever out from my memory bank.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 66
ska face
August 15, 2022, 8:20am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
For someone who gets in behind the defence so often, probably 3 or 4 times on Saturday alone, he doesn’t really get enough assists. He always seems to be overstretching when it comes to playing that final ball across goal, and never seems to pick someone out when he had the opportunity.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 66
darren9
August 15, 2022, 8:39am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +607
Gold Stars: 39
I’m fully accept that Paul Hurst, an ex footballer and football manager with a decent reputation in the game who has so far guided us to 2 promotions and who see’s the players in training daily knows more about football than I do and than some random blokes on the internet.

On that basis if Hurst thinks Clifton is the best option to play on the left, middle or anywhere else for that matter then that’s what should happen.

If you really want an opinion from someone who knows the sum total of naff all about football then mine is that Clifton’s main problems are;

1. that he’s a ‘local lad done good’ and some people like to build these types up and then knock them down again … he’s been somewhat built up last year, maybe people see a need to knock him down again?
2. He’s very versatile and will do a job pretty much everywhere.

I think if/when Clifton does leave that’s when he’ll be truly missed and appreciated by the fan base in a similar way to Danny Butterfield.

Clifton is very good at football, he’s also fit and motivated. This is exactly what we want in a Grimsby player.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The elephant in the room

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.