Limerick Mariner
July 16, 2022, 1:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,726
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from HarrogateMariner
Clifton will start. Hurst never started with 2 out and out wingers in non-league, i would be very surprised if he suddenly started doing that a league above. Plus Clifton is hardly likely to have turned down a move to a league one club if he was told he would only be a squad player here. I am not disagreeing with this by the way, I completely agree with Clifton starting wide.

I think most games it will be Clifton and one of the other wingers starting, with Clifton maybe subbed if we need a goal and make an attacking change.

One area I am interested in to see how selection goes is full backs. For me we have 4 quality full backs, all I would imagine expect game time. Will be interesting.

The attacking quality of our full backs will allow Clifton to tuck in and make sure we don't get overrun in midfield. PH will have learned alot from that first 30 mins against Stockport at Easter when we hardly got a touch, that's the quality we need to cope with now and by the sound of Green's attributes he player to break up the opposition play so we don't get dominated like that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
Son of Cod
July 16, 2022, 2:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196

If fit, Taylor will start ahead of Orsi.

Away. First match. Clifton will be there. Presumably in place of Khan or Wearne.

Yeah, I reckon we'll see something more like last season and I don't think Morris and Green will start together.

Crocombe

Efete
Maher
Waterfall
Glennon

Khan
Green
Holohan
Clifton

McAtee
Taylor
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
RonMariner
July 16, 2022, 3:35pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,795
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Son of Cod

Yeah, I reckon we'll see something more like last season and I don't think Morris and Green will start together.

Crocombe

Efete
Maher
Waterfall
Glennon

Khan
Green
Holohan
Clifton

McAtee
Taylor

Really like the look of that plus a pretty strong bench to go with it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
Mariner93er
July 16, 2022, 3:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Think that will probably be it except Morris for Holohan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
Nutsy
July 16, 2022, 3:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +157
Gold Stars: 5
Breaking down each position:

GK
Crocombe

RB
Efete
Cropper

CB
Waterfall
Maher
Pearson

LB
Glennon
Amos

CM
Holohan
Green
Morris
Clifton
Khouri

CAM
McAtee
Wearne
Khan

Wingers
Maguire-Drew

Striker
Taylor
Orsi

Position by position this is very strong. An additional winger/striker, CB and GK and we are there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
RonMariner
July 16, 2022, 3:50pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,795
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Nutsy
Breaking down each position:

GK
Crocombe

RB
Efete
Cropper

CB
Waterfall
Maher
Pearson

LB
Glennon
Amos

CM
Holohan
Green
Morris
Clifton
Khouri

CAM
McAtee
Wearne
Khan

Wingers
Maguire-Drew

Striker
Taylor
Orsi

Position by position this is very strong. An additional winger/striker, CB and GK and we are there.

And Scannell to add in around Christmas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
tashee69
July 16, 2022, 3:57pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +959
Gold Stars: 23
Think this season, the squad is going to be our important factor. We saw in the play offs last season how important subs where. To be able to bring some fresh legs on, at important times. With there being 5 subs, I can see us being a team where several players are starting knowing their game will last 60 mins because we have an adequate replacement when they tire. We can then keep the energy levels at a high pace.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
codcheeky
July 16, 2022, 6:53pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from tashee69
Think this season, the squad is going to be our important factor. We saw in the play offs last season how important subs where. To be able to bring some fresh legs on, at important times. With there being 5 subs, I can see us being a team where several players are starting knowing their game will last 60 mins because we have an adequate replacement when they tire. We can then keep the energy levels at a high pace.

Agree. This season the 5 subs rule will completely change the game, it will a game of 2 specialized sets of players, with some players as you say being trained to put 90 minutes effort in over 60 and trying to wear out the opposition defence for their replacements to come on and take advantage. You can see by the type of player especially in midfield we are signing  that we will be playing a high energy  pressing game, wouldn't be surprised to see us start and finish the games with completely different formations
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
MarinerDevil
July 16, 2022, 7:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
Maher out for the start of the season with a thigh injury.

https://youtu.be/cDFKeVJ8_iI
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
ginnywings
July 16, 2022, 8:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Damn shame and disappointing about Maher and with DLK moving on, I guess another CB is a bit of a priority now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Line-up for the opening game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.