Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How far away do the players commute from?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 254 Guests

How far away do the players commute from?

This thread currently has 5,611 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Kris2
June 24, 2022, 9:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Doesn't matter where you live as long as your commute is doable and you can be in work on time. It's the same as any other job you take, lots of people who work in Sheffield don't live there. My brother actually commuted a lot of the time he went to university in Sheffield because it was easy on the train and he only had lectures a couple of times a week. He saved on accommodation costs and was able to stay connected to friends and family.

There are lots of reasons you wouldn't uproot if you are only signing on a year contract or 18 months, etc. Lots of footballers are married and have families to consider, they will often be in school and have friends from the local area. My cousins grew up in an RAF family and moved around their whole lives and had to keep leaving friends behind. It's a difficult burden to place on a family to move around, especially if you only spend a year or so at any club.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 36
DB
June 24, 2022, 9:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
In today's world, I think a 1 - 1 1/2 hours commute is acceptable, Some time ago I read of a stockbroker who commuted from Bridlington to London every day, so it puts our player's journey's times into perspective.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 36
nomorefourfiveone
June 24, 2022, 10:00pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +89
Gold Stars: 8
a few of the places I commuted and did a full days work:
Castle Donington - 100 miles, 1 1/2 hours
Office relocated to Ferrybridge - 62 miles, under an hour
Relocated to Beeston (Nottingham) - 100 miles 2 hours (traffic on M1 got so much more busier than 10 years before)
Site assignment to Teesside - - 135 miles, 2 hours and a bit
Grimsby docks (finally after 22 years of asking) - 13 miles, 30 minutes (notice the difference between Ferrybridge and commuting to the town centre!)
Ramsgate several times - 250 miles, 4 hours
Several other places and three mental day trips to Aberdeen (FFS) 420 miles, 7 hours (day in lieu taken though!)

rather than me showing off, there's a point to this: I knew that none of these places were particularly permanent and even when based at the office I got sent (on loan, if you like) to other places - made no sense to me to relocate. Sometimes I'd stay in hotels (or one memorable time in Kegorth, a static caravan that became un-static with me in it one very icy January day and, only stopped by some people on the way home from the pub from sliding into the river Soar) but I figured that if I could mostly get home by 7pm and not leave much before 6 am I'd rather live in my own place. I suspect that the majority of the players feel the same way... and I don't blame them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 36
lukeo
June 25, 2022, 5:04am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,395
Gold Stars: 149
Why are we shooting the poster down? It's just curiousity. He's not exactly asking which street and house number do they live at.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 36
Grimsby2012
June 25, 2022, 6:55am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,464
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
One of the more sinister thread titles.

A bit of an exaggeration. OP wasn't asking for addresses, simply what part of the country...

The fishy really is going downhill.

Long gone are the days of asking normal questions and expecting a helpful reply.

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 36
Caveman
June 25, 2022, 7:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 17

When Bill Shankly was manager all the
players lived locally.

They either walked to training or travelled
their by trolley bus
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 36
pizzzza
June 25, 2022, 8:45pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from DB
In today's world, I think a 1 - 1 1/2 hours commute is acceptable, Some time ago I read of a stockbroker who commuted from Bridlington to London every day, so it puts our player's journey's times into perspective.

1 to 1.5 hrs might well be fine for a footballer whose working day lasts 2 hours or so. However 1.5 hrs each side of a 9-5, no thanks.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 36
MuddyWaters
June 25, 2022, 11:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Several properties still appear on the club’s history on Companies House.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 36
Rodley Mariner
June 25, 2022, 11:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Grimsby2012

A bit of an exaggeration. OP wasn't asking for addresses, simply what part of the country...

The fishy really is going downhill.

Long gone are the days of asking normal questions and expecting a helpful reply.

I wasn't accusing him of planning to abduct one of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 36
RichMariner
June 25, 2022, 11:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,159
Gold Stars: 210
Josh Gowling is still based in the area but manages Hereford. And I seem to recall the BBC doing a piece on how Sean Dyche commuted from Northampton to Burnley during his entire time managing the club!

It's mad what some people are prepared to do. But if they can do it and not let it affect their performance, then good on them.

I think some of us still dream of this idea that players live locally so they can connect with the fans by visiting the docks, schools, etc. But I don't think you need to live in the area to connect with the fans.

I had no idea where Disley, Podge or any of our 15/16 side lived when they won promotion, and I have no idea where McAtee, Holohan, Waterfall etc live now. But the fans are connecting with the players, mainly through what they do on the pitch, and the new board are helping to build stronger links with our communities through initiatives run by the Trust.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 19 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How far away do the players commute from?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.