7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
June 8, 2022, 8:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,642
Gold Stars: 189
I think Mani struggled a bit on Sunday when he came on as their big defenders had him worked out and he conceded a free-kick in the challenge too often. Needed a bit more nouse.

That said, I'd be happy for him to stay for another year if Hurst wants him. However, a 2 year deal at Oldham on similar money might well be the better option for him at this point in his career.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 67
Mariner93er
June 8, 2022, 8:08am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Who he's previously been released by shouldn't be a barometer for whether we sign him or not. We'd never have signed the majority of players we have otherwise.

Mani can be raw at times, but I think he's performed really well throughout the play offs against some top defences. His hold up play has been great and he offers more of a goal threat than everyone except McAtee.

Amos will definitely get a deal I think. He might not be first choice, but he's capable of battling for that position with someone else.

And I'm surprised some aren't convinced by Crocombe. He's good aerially (the last minutes on Sunday he was very assured), has quality distribution for this level and is a good shot stopper. I think he deserves the chance, but of course with another goalkeeper coming in for competition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 67
Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire
June 8, 2022, 8:13am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +244
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Mariner93er

And I'm surprised some aren't convinced by Crocombe. He's good aerially (the last minutes on Sunday he was very assured), has quality distribution for this level and is a good shot stopper. I think he deserves the chance, but of course with another goalkeeper coming in for competition.

Completely agree, he's really come on massively towards then end of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 67
Sandford1981
June 8, 2022, 8:14am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Probably not much difference between mid table L2 and top 8 in NL. The teams at the bottom of NL were cut adrift significantly last season and very early too.

Yeah granted-the differentiation between the top half and bottom half teams needs to be made.

Would you agree that against the better sides in the NL in County, Wrexham and Solihull that Mani had a positive influence and a role to play?

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 67
Jarmo.Is.God
June 8, 2022, 8:30am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
McAtee was released by Scunthorpe
Jon Nolan was released by non league Lincoln
Amond was released by Morcambe
Connell was released by League 2 Bournemouth
Tait was released by Cambridge

The list is endless.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 67
buckstown
June 8, 2022, 8:42am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,187
Gold Stars: 79
He's got some tough decisions to make for sure, and I don't envy him
I think Crocombe is a shoe in to be first choice next year, he's got better by the week.
Not sure that Amos and Cropper are league 2 defenders although Amos is the stronger of the two. Fairly certain that Mani is not a league two striker, but then again I didn't think Ryan Taylor was that good so I'm no more than an excited fan!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 67
LondonMariner43
June 8, 2022, 8:44am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,977
Gold Stars: 64
I don't see any reason for questions about Crocombe - he was immense in the play offs.  I would keep Amos.  I'd be happy having Efete and Cropper as two very different right backs who can hopefully challenge each other to be better and we need a quality left back alongside Amos in the squad, with Crookes most likely being released.  I'd love to keep Mani because he seems like the right sort of character but if there is better out there, then maybe not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 67
NorthseaMariner
June 8, 2022, 9:34am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from LondonMariner43
I don't see any reason for questions about Crocombe - he was immense in the play offs.  I would keep Amos.  I'd be happy having Efete and Cropper as two very different right backs who can hopefully challenge each other to be better and we need a quality left back alongside Amos in the squad, with Crookes most likely being released.  I'd love to keep Mani because he seems like the right sort of character but if there is better out there, then maybe not.

Totally agree. How anyone can question Crocombe being offered terms is unbelievable. He’s grown in confidence the more he played.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 67
RichMariner
June 8, 2022, 9:59am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,159
Gold Stars: 210
Here's a question for you:

What would happen if we kept the squad as it is? Not saying we should, but hypothetically, what do you think it would achieve in League 2? If everyone who got us into L2 got the chance to play for us in L2?

We all know that the standard of the NL is better than the bottom half of L2. I reckon we'd be mid-table at worst.

Let's also be clear — improving the squad in every window doesn't mean ditching players for different ones. You can improve what you've already got.

Just comes down to hard work, determination and those above you trusting you and believing in you.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 18 - 67
moosey_club
June 8, 2022, 10:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
A player who  has scored numerous goals in a brief loan, proved an effective super sub and seems to goal hang very well. Scored vital goals amongst that to even more prove his value.

Go back to the start of the season and tell me someone like that   wouldn't be a asset or strengthen the squad.

No brainer for me.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mani, Amos and Crocombe

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.