Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ok then , New Ground time
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 258 Guests

Ok then , New Ground time

This thread currently has 31,055 views. Print
28 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
grimps
June 7, 2022, 10:37am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
I think people don’t realise that the ground actually puts people off coming .
We’ve made a few tweaks last season and the attendances increased
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 276
TAGG
June 7, 2022, 10:38am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
FFS

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 276
GrimPol
June 7, 2022, 10:38am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -784
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Knock down the PA Box/Police control room and put them in 2 small stacked portacabins (like you get on building sites) in corner between the Pontoon & Main Stand. Firstly that improves the view for a big chunk of the Main Stand. Secondly you can put a proper semi-permanent stand from where the PA Box currently sits up to the corner of the Pontoon. You could probably get 16 rows x 50 seats = 800 extra seats there and turn a chunk of the Main Stand from severely restricted view to partially restricted view. When we're finished with the new seating area we could donate it to Cleethorpes Town.

There used to be temp stands in the corners of John Smiths-Pontoon and John Smiths-Osmonds. From Memory that's + 850 seats.
I'm not proposing temp seating what I'm saying JS extended.
The main stand, which is a Fire Risk and requires reassessing yearly, and anyway must have a heavy insurance premium.
And you never know ALL standing areas might just help us out as they are a much cheaper option.
With a good plan +2000 extra seats are very doable, but a new Stadium is a pipe dream.
Boston Utd have just moved to a 2000 seater + 3000 standing stadium at a cost of £11 million. New GTFC stadium is in the mid £20's million.
I know we have a promotion, but 5th to 4th Tier that is all.
We have to do some catching up in upgrades to training facilities so that we don't become a Yo Yo team, and the new owners don't have deep pockets as some think.
We are doing fine.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 276
mimma
June 7, 2022, 10:39am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
What would happen if we were promoted again next year?  It's alright saying the ground is big enough for the next season but we should be looking at increasing capacity now so it will be ready within the next two seasons. For me waiting to see where we are isn't an option, that's what Fenty did year after year. The way things are going we are more than likely to need increased capacity either next season or the one after.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 276
Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire
June 7, 2022, 11:01am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +244
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from grimps
I think people don’t realise that the ground actually puts people off coming .
We’ve made a few tweaks last season and the attendances increased

I just don't buy this. The attendance figures are directly related to results. More people will come to BP if we keep winning, and fewer if we're losing. It's as simple as that.

I just don't see the following scenario:

DAD/MUM : "Son/daughter, Town have won their last three games. Shall we go on Saturday?"

SON/DAUGHTER : "Err no Dad/Mum, there might be seagull poo on my seat and toilets are from the Ark"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 276
petethemariner
June 7, 2022, 11:13am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
People who say that the ground isn't a priority  because we dont fill BP need to look at Rotherham as an example, they  used to have
a core base of  fans lower than us, with the new ground and prudent management they have doubled their fan base.
In 2022 paying more than £20 per seat people deserve  and expect to have a degree of comfort and a decent view of the game.
I am 65 now and dont believe i will see a new ground in my lifetime, so  improvement to BP whether it be long or short term need to be made, modern stadiums dont have the multitude of steel framework we have in the main and  Osmond stands, which restricts view and
capacity.
I like the idea of demolishing the Police box, surely with new building methods we could continue the  Pontoon at the same level round to the main stand, but  in the longer term replacing the roofs of the Main and Osmond if feasible, allowing post free viewing has to happen, as i feel a new stadium is 10 years away at least.
I know  many will disagree with my views, but we  have a good reputation in the game, as congratulatory messages at our promotion suggest, unfortunately our embarrassing old  stadium doesn't meet our reputation.
Well done rplayers and management on a remarkable turnround of our season and your never say die attitude in the playoffs was probably the most inspiring  thing i have seen in 55 years as a supporter.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 276
grimps
June 7, 2022, 11:13am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46

I just don't buy this. The attendance figures are directly related to results. More people will come to BP if we keep winning, and fewer if we're losing. It's as simple as that.

I just don't see the following scenario:

DAD/MUM : "Son/daughter, Town have won their last three games. Shall we go on Saturday?"

SON/DAUGHTER : "Err no Dad/Mum, there might be seagull poo on my seat and toilets are from the Ark"

Ok then look at every other club that had a new ground or a modern upgrade and you’ll see an increase in attendances .
Other than last season of attendances have been around the same figure for 20 odd years
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 276
TownSNAFU5
June 7, 2022, 11:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
As 2 exiles in our 60s we book separately for most home games. We usually avoid night games for various reasons.  We do not have season-tickets as not economically viable.  Ill- health occasionally means we have to miss a Sat game.

This season it was very difficult booking 2 seats together in the Upper-Findus for some games, despite booking early when tickets released.  Next season should be busier.

A new stadium will be many years away.  Trying to increase the capacity at BP looks to be a sensible compromise and will bring in more fans and income.  Any investment would surely not be extortionate and would give a good return for many years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 276
lew chaterleys lover
June 7, 2022, 11:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
I have resigned myself to being at BP for probably the rest of my Town watching life and think a new stadium will be something for future generations to enjoy, but that should not stop us from making Blundell Park as good as we can in the next few years. Pettit in particular knows a lot about property/regeneration and will be looking into all avenues with architects as to how it might be possible to renew parts of BP, increase the capacity etc.

In the medium term, it might be a better thing they are doing to create a new build for training facilities - is there any reason the much-vaunted "commercial and corporate" facilities cannot be included in the training complex to bring in extra revenue in the week, whilst leaving BP and its current corporate facilities for match-days?  

I am sure the owners will have it all in hand, but I hope we have exciting news about future plans sooner rather than later. I think promotion has changed things a lot; now is the time to capitalize on the goodwill and support of the fans, the business community and everyone who wants to take the club to new heights.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 276
Marinerdan
June 7, 2022, 11:19am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 17
I’m sure the new owners will be quietly planning a new stadium in the background but the issue will always come down to money.

Keepmoat Stadium in Doncaster is 15,000 capacity and is a fairly anonymous dome. Costs to build the stadium alone was £20m and total cost (including 3G pitches and athletic track stadium) was well over £30m. That was 15 years ago too so it’s going to cost much more now.

The area around the stadium has been hugely developed over the last few years with lots of new housing, new school, shopping and commercial sites so I’m sure it’s ticked a lot of boxes with the local council. I’m not sure how forward thinking our council are though and if they are capable of supporting such a large, long term project. How many times have we seen artists impressions of the new cinema, stadium or palm tree only to never see the thing built. It’s much easier to keep moving the bus station and changing the paving slabs.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 276
28 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ok then , New Ground time

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.