5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
scrumble
June 8, 2022, 10:23am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +986
Gold Stars: 10
98 was two wins at Wembley at the old twin towers, before they where knocked down.

It was the final three games that made this season special. The opposition and the nature of the wins.

I don't think you can pick one over the other.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 42
bedders78
June 8, 2022, 10:30am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 12
1998 was a better team, but 2022 is a bigger achievement. In 98 there was something to build on, 2022 arose from the ashes and we changed most of the team during the season.

On a more personal note, I've watched 2022 through the eyes of my children, and probably wouldn't have been at County or Wrexham without them, giving me 2 of the best experiences I've ever had as a Town fan.

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 42
Shipwrecked In Gainsborough
June 8, 2022, 10:44pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +248
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from forza ivano

the Moscow Arms in Bayswater, What  an awesome day - was actually a bit of a tourist pub and i don't know if they ever really realised what had hit them!

wasn't there a conga at some stage which stopped the traffic ?

Sure back in98 it was called something else. Like the frog & Lettuce or one of them daft names at the time popular with Real Ale fans. The Moscow arms dont ring a bell, though i feel events in Ukraine may have prompted another name change just recently !!. Whatever, it was a day/night i will never forget.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 42
TownSNAFU5
June 8, 2022, 11:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
1998 against Bournemouth at Wembley was special for many reasons.  First time at Wembley in 120 years.  28,000 Town fans there.  Even more if some very old buses had not broken down.

Great atmosphere with the Bournemouth fans.  Over 60,000 crowd.  Good game. Sunny day. A win for us with a golden goal - right in front of the massed Town fans. Instant euphoria.  We won the cup.

On the Tues, when players still tired, we won 1-0 at Carlisle in the league.  Vital points gained.

We won the playoffs, only lost in the big cups to Liverpool and Leeds away (both in the top 6).

66 games played I think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 42
Mayaman
June 9, 2022, 1:17am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
'98 didn't have scotch eggs!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 42
aldi_01
June 9, 2022, 6:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Hard to compare really for various reasons, the level, the money involved, state of the club and so forth.

In 2016 it wasn’t greatest moment supporting town, it lives long in the me melty but through pisspoor club management and decision making that day is tainted. This epic end to what is probably the best season the clubs had, again for a number of reasons, has gone a long way to make another memory.

98 was special, always will be, double Wembley, two wins, Donovan, Burnett, Lester, Davison and so on help to make that memory positive. We spent money though, we invested and I’d imagine, even though as a kid it didn’t feel that way, the expectation was probably to try and bounce back. I don’t think that was the expectation this season, ambition perhaps but not expectation.

Our end to the season will unlikely be bettered by us or anyone else. It’s nothing short of a miracle and the transformation of the club is astounding…for me this season is the better of the two but for different reasons. 1998 will forever be in the top two most important and memorable seasons but this has been some journey and catapults Hurst in to hero territory and shows the impact of a top to bottom culture which is about valuing and respecting colleagues. Believing together and working hard with dedication and ambition…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 42
mariner83
June 9, 2022, 7:18am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5

Sure back in98 it was called something else. Like the frog & Lettuce or one of them daft names at the time popular with Real Ale fans. The Moscow arms dont ring a bell, though i feel events in Ukraine may have prompted another name change just recently !!. Whatever, it was a day/night i will never forget.

Was it the Dog & Parrot or something like that
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 36 - 42
forza ivano
June 9, 2022, 9:01am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
Rat and parrot??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 42
diehardmariner
June 9, 2022, 10:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
The freshest memories naturally dominate your thoughts.  

1998 was magical but it was 24 years ago so you can forgive anyone for having those memories slightly numbed over time.  But there was never really any feel of pressure on it.  We'd enjoyed 7 good years in the second flight, if we didn't go up it didn't feel like it would be end of the world.  Even though Fulham were moneybags united, I never really felt we had a backs to the wall approach to it.  Granted, we did spend a lot of money in the summer of 1997 but that was paid for by the sales of Super Clive and John Oster, to the tune of just under £2.5million.

2016 was a relief.  We'd gone so close the previous year.  The fans rallied for Operation Promotion, with a wonderful twist of fate that the guy we signed with that money scored the two goals in the final.  From heartbreak a year before, following two successive semi-final failings, to ecstasy in the final.  Oddly, probably the weakest play-off side we had of the four seasons was the one that went up.  But it was feeling like now or never.  If we hadn't gone up that year, I'm not sure we ever would have done.

But 2022 is just something else.  3 teams in a season.  We had that team that started so well, got all our hopes up of an all conquering side only to see it drift away and flounder for a bloody long time.  I'm sure at some point we dipped outside the top half of the table with the second side of the season, one that wasn't fluid and just couldn't click together.   Then finally the one that came good with it all, the post New Year run where we just built momentum.  A completely new back-line almost, Fox back in the middle, Holohan coming into the side, Clifton improving week in, week out and McAtee and Taylor clicking together again when it counted.  

To go away from home and win from behind in the play-offs is something, to do it twice is incredible.  To then go to the final, to the team that played you off  the park in the two league games, go behind and then still win it in extra time is something you can't even begin to imagine.

The other thing you have to add is the timing in terms of the clubs history.  April 2021 marked the darkest day in the clubs history.  Relegated for the second time out the league.  Once you can argue a case that everyone has to take their turn, to do it twice and you're definitely finding your level.  This was months after the club was caught out for fluttering eyelashes at a fraudster.   But it is always darkest before the dawn.  Last summer marked a new era and a return to the Football League, in such style and at the first time of asking is very fitting.  I think these last 12 months will be looked back on in 5, 10, 20, even 50 years as the most significant year in our history.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 42
forza ivano
June 9, 2022, 11:08am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from diehardmariner
T

The other thing you have to add is the timing in terms of the clubs history.  April 2021 marked the darkest day in the clubs history.  Relegated for the second time out the league.  Once you can argue a case that everyone has to take their turn, to do it twice and you're definitely finding your level.  This was months after the club was caught out for fluttering eyelashes at a fraudster.   But it is always darkest before the dawn.  Last summer marked a new era and a return to the Football League, in such style and at the first time of asking is very fitting.  I think these last 12 months will be looked back on in 5, 10, 20, even 50 years as the most significant year in our history.

good point. maybe a more apt comparison (in more ways than one) would be the 50 season comparison with the 71-72 side under lawrie Mac. There are quite a few parallels , with his team being reelected the season before and with a similar feel good wave of optimism if i remember correctly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 1998 or 2022

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.