5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
June 7, 2022, 6:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
I can think of arguments for both, and it’s difficult to answer completely objectively with the exhilaration of the last fortnight still so fresh.

What I will say though is just how brilliant is it that this is even a question worth asking? 98 was so brilliant on so many different levels, and I thought it would live unrivalled in the memory.

The summer of ‘97 always looked a strong one. Spending the best part of a million quid on players like Groves and Donovan who were way better than that level, before adding the likes of Wayne Burnett and Dave Smith mid-season for another wedge of cash. As others have said, there was good reason to expect big things that season.

By comparison the summer of ‘21 and months that followed were chaotic by comparison and never in a million years did the circumstances of a year ago look remotely conducive to a promotion, especially not in the spectacular way it was delivered.

In truth, I think both seasons were unique. Truly special in their own way, and both the creator of memories I will take with me to my grave.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
jamesgtfc
June 7, 2022, 8:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
In 1997 we spent the thick end of £1m which was a lot of money for that level back then although Fulham were certainly splashing the cash. Both visits were to the Twin Towers in 1998 and it was the first time our club had been to Wembley so that makes it special.

But, we've achieved promotion at the expense of Wrexham who have spent the kind of money that we haven't spent since before the year 2000. Chesterfield paid £250k for Tshimanga in an effort to get out of this league. When was the last time we paid six figures for a player?

Our budget wasn't the smallest but at least 3 teams outspent us by a considerable margin. Notts County have just spent 3 years down here, we consigned them to a fourth at least. Wrexham, with all the Hollywood money and Netflix documentary in the making were denied of their fairytale ending in dramatic fashion and we consigned them to their 15th year down here.

Chesterfield go into their fifth and we know how hard this league is to get out of from our last time down here. Only 3 teams have got straight back up in 25 years.

By finishing in the bottom 2 play-off spaces we had no home advantage, had to play an extra game and we came from behind to win every game, in extra time. At Notts County we were less than 10 seconds away from another season of non-league. We equalised and as everyone began thinking of penalties, up popped Mani D in the 119th minute. A breathtaking game at Wrexham saw Waterfall score a 119th minute winner and we managed to win it in the 111th minute in the final.

Will a team ever replicate what we've just done in the play-offs? I doubt it but it feels special because we know how hard it is to get back, the sheer drama of it and the feel good factor associated with having a fantastic bunch of people at the helm.

Paul Hurst, Jason Stockwood, Andrew Pettit, Debbie Cook, Mariners Trust, the players and everyone behind the scenes, thank you. Thank you very much. We're back and this is just the beginning.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
moosey_club
June 7, 2022, 9:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
98 was special , the true Wembley, first time we appeared there, properly historic.
However that was my generation and above who have that affinity with Wembley.., there will be plenty of supporters there this weekend that was also their first "final" so will ever be the special one.....as it would have been in 2016.

However...these play offs have been special intense..emotionally draining ....beyond joy......a special season in itself for that alone ....add on the back of relegation, takeover..then it's multiplied.

Grimsby Town Fc...  rarely uneventful...that's the beauty of it.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
forza ivano
June 8, 2022, 12:33am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,267
Gold Stars: 266
think you should also consider 71-72 in this debate (and maybe 2016)
Perhaps we could agree that they are all seasons that will live with us forever and are special achievements, but for different reasons,

I'd also mention Tagg's comment on another thread - we might not realise the true significance of this season for another 4, 5 or 10 years - here's hoping that's the case!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
Shipwrecked In Gainsborough
June 8, 2022, 1:00am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +248
Gold Stars: 2
98 for me, that Saturday night before the Game on Sunday against Bournemouth was absolutely unbelievable fun. There was a Pub right in the middle of London(cant remember it's name) which had been highlighted on here as being run by a couple originally from G town and we were all to head there. On arrival on Sat evening i couldn't believe it, Town flags over every window and the Juke box blaring out Chumba wunga we get knocked down, but get up again. Right in the middle of London, as the night went on, more and more Grimsby fans found the boozer. It was an unbelievable urine up, not a hint of trouble. The best ever time time following Town. Happy days, Happy Happy days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
forza ivano
June 8, 2022, 1:05am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,267
Gold Stars: 266
98 for me, that Saturday night before the Game on Sunday against Bournemouth was absolutely unbelievable fun. There was a Pub right in the middle of London(cant remember it's name) which had been highlighted on here as being run by a couple originally from G town and we were all to head there. On arrival on Sat evening i couldn't believe it, Town flags over every window and the Juke box blaring out Chumba wunga we get knocked down, but get up again. Right in the middle of London, as the night went on, more and more Grimsby fans found the boozer. It was an unbelievable urine up, not a hint of trouble. The best ever time time following Town. Happy days, Happy Happy days.

the Moscow Arms in Bayswater, What  an awesome day - was actually a bit of a tourist pub and i don't know if they ever really realised what had hit them!

wasn't there a conga at some stage which stopped the traffic ?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
aussiej
June 8, 2022, 1:20am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +120
Gold Stars: 17
Most certainly 98.  The team was so much better than this one.
The away match at Burnley to take us to Wembley for the first time ever and those play off semi finals were incredible.
This team we have now is a bit special too and i hope we can keep it together. That team spirit and togetherness can take you a long way in football and they can still write their own chapter in the history books which might yet take them above that brilliant 98 team...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
The_Laughing_Mariner
June 8, 2022, 5:24am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
What about 1980?

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
grimps
June 8, 2022, 5:55am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
What about 1980?

89-91 was my favourite time of being a Town fan , we was playing football that Brazil would have been proud of and wiping the floor with our opponents
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
June 8, 2022, 7:43am
Guest User
2022 for me. Three cup finals, rather than two  
Reply: 29 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 1998 or 2022

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.