3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Stockport Mariner
June 1, 2022, 8:34pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +553
Gold Stars: 8
There’s no way we aren’t going to win this. After getting to the final the (very) hard way, do you think the manger and the squad will get this far and not win? We are coming into the final arguably playing our best football of the season, coupled with a determination and belief that I think will take us all the way. I think the 2016 squad said they knew they would win the final. I think that Paul Hurst’s experience in this situation will be invaluable and I also think we have probably the fittest squad in the league. I thought extra time against Wrexham would count against us after 120 minutes against Notts County, but it didn’t - if anything we looked stronger that extra time at Notts. All of the momentum is with us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
dapperz fun pub
June 1, 2022, 8:57pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,020
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from Stockport Mariner
There’s no way we aren’t going to win this. After getting to the final the (very) hard way, do you think the manger and the squad will get this far and not win? We are coming into the final arguably playing our best football of the season, coupled with a determination and belief that I think will take us all the way. I think the 2016 squad said they knew they would win the final. I think that Paul Hurst’s experience in this situation will be invaluable and I also think we have probably the fittest squad in the league. I thought extra time against Wrexham would count against us after 120 minutes against Notts County, but it didn’t - if anything we looked stronger that extra time at Notts. All of the momentum is with us.

Great post my thoughts exactly …it’s just our time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
HertsGTFC
June 1, 2022, 8:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
I don’t get this “free hit” theory but also I didn’t expect us to get to the play off final.

I’m really nervous already and will be all over the place on Sunday, so much so I may need the odd drink to calm me down.

Despite us going behind a couple of times at Wrexham you know I always thought we’d come back to at least take it to pens.

After the Braintree game away last time Dis said the team always knew they’d win in the final as they’d come through a tight semi final, let’s hope this team go into Sunday confident then who knows?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
HerveJosse
June 1, 2022, 9:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,213
Gold Stars: 144
First two play off games we have come out flying and dominated first 10/15 more muted which has given the confidence we can win the game whatever follows.
I hope now there is some much at stake on Sunday we don’t become more cautious.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
aldi_01
June 1, 2022, 9:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
If you compare the side now to the start of the season and the side that flew out of the blocks, this one is much better. They’re calculated, have a plan and to a man they die for the cause and love every minute of it. I wasn’t always a fan of Abraham but that 50 yard sprint to tackle their player, win the ball and then get it back epitomised the work ethic and self belief Hurst has instilled in them.

I don’t think it’s a free hit now we’re in the final nor do I think Solihull will roll over and die, I can’t decide how the games gonna go but I’m already nervous. I’m at knebworth the day before but I’m not sure even that will calm the nerves…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
lukeo
June 1, 2022, 9:13pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from aldi_01
If you compare the side now to the start of the season and the side that flew out of the blocks, this one is much better. They’re calculated, have a plan and to a man they die for the cause and love every minute of it. I wasn’t always a fan of Abraham but that 50 yard sprint to tackle their player, win the ball …

I was shocked at this (in a positive way) I don't massively rate Abrahams as I feel he doesn't tend to bust a gut like the others but that one instance alone makes me question myself about questing him 🤔
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
Poojah
June 1, 2022, 9:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I don’t get this “free hit” theory but also I didn’t expect us to get to the play off final.

I’m really nervous already and will be all over the place on Sunday, so much so I may need the odd drink to calm me down.

Despite us going behind a couple of times at Wrexham you know I always thought we’d come back to at least take it to pens.

After the Braintree game away last time Dis said the team always knew they’d win in the final as they’d come through a tight semi final, let’s hope this team go into Sunday confident then who knows?

I’m someone who felt the play-offs were a ‘free hit’ for us given where we’ve had to come from and where I expected us to finish at the start of the season (about 10th).

I felt relaxed going into play-offs as I hadn’t allowed myself to get my hopes up. The notion of us winning two games against some of the league’s top sides on their own patch, and then again in the final seemed a very long shot indeed. Even going into the 95th minute at Notts and having gone 3-2 down at Wrexham I felt deflated but there was a rational sense of acceptance all the same.

But having overcome those two adversaries in the most dramatic and stunning fashion imaginable, we find ourselves just one win away from the returning to the EFL. It took us 5 seasons to get that far last time down here, and you simply don’t know how long it might take again if we don’t succeed on Sunday.

And so, reluctantly, I can no longer see this as a free hit, it’s an absolutely massive game for us, just as it is for Solihull. Winning, by any means, would be an unbelievable way to cap off two of the very best Town matches in over 30 years following the club. Make no mistake though, defeat will hurt far more at this stage than it would have done at any point during the last two games.

We’ve come so far, but there’s still so much at stake. Yep, I’m nervous now and it’s only going to get worse with every hour that ebbs away.  

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
Stockport Mariner
June 1, 2022, 9:33pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +553
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Poojah

I’m someone who felt the play-offs were a ‘free hit’ for us given where we’ve had to come from and where I expected us to finish at the start of the season (about 10th).

I felt relaxed going into play-offs as I hadn’t allowed myself to get my hopes up. The notion of us winning two games against some of the league’s top sides on their own patch, and then again in the final seemed a very long shot indeed. Even going into the 95th minute at Notts and having gone 3-2 down at Wrexham I felt deflated but there was a rational sense of acceptance all the same.

But having overcome those two adversaries in the most dramatic and stunning fashion imaginable, we find ourselves just one win away from the returning to the EFL. It took us 5 seasons to get that far last time down here, and you simply don’t know how long it might take again if we don’t succeed on Sunday.

And so, reluctantly, I can no longer see this as a free hit, it’s an absolutely massive game for us, just as it is for Solihull. Winning, by any means, would be an unbelievable way to cap off two of the very best Town  matches in over 30 years following the club. Make no mistake though, defeat will hurt far more at this stage than it would have done at any point during the last two games.

We’ve come so far, but there’s still so much at stake. Yep, I’m nervous now and it’s only going to get worse with every hour that ebbs away.  

Totally agree with all of this, except I don’t feel nervous as I’m so confident we will win. Not wanting to underestimate Sollihull, as they are obviously a good side, but there’s no way we will lose to them 3 times in a season. That being said I’ll probably have a few butterflies just prior to kick off!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
MuddyWaters
June 1, 2022, 9:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
The play off final was beyond my expectations this season so, yes, a free hit for me. More than hopeful we can make it.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
June 1, 2022, 10:41pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,468
Gold Stars: 15
The consequences of this game are enormous, no matter how we play up the ‘free hit’ angle. That said, this Town team have been beyond magnificent in the play-offs, and I’ve got total faith they will finish the job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Excited and nervous

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.