2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Spurn boy
May 26, 2022, 7:58pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,264
Gold Stars: 30
While everyone is busy predicting the team for the Wrexham game and praising everyone for their part in the Notts game I think a bit a praise for Max Crocombe wouldn’t go amiss , it was a big decision by Paul Hurst to replace Macca and many fans including me thought it was the wrong decision but slowly he has built up his confidence to the point of going up in the last minute of normal time and providing a lucky assist with the equaliser. Hopefully he improves to the point that he is first choice for town for years to come.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
ska face
May 26, 2022, 8:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Massive save in the first period of ET after a misjudged header from Smith. Can’t really tell from the highlights but he managed to stop it with his left hand when it looked to be past him. He also seems to be as good off his left foot as a McKeown is with his right. Still a bit too keen on a punch for my liking but he does seem to get a decent contact on it 9 times out of 10.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
jamesgtfc
May 26, 2022, 8:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from ska face
Massive save in the first period of ET after a misjudged header from Smith. Can’t really tell from the highlights but he managed to stop it with his left hand when it looked to be past him. He also seems to be as good off his left foot as a McKeown is with his right. Still a bit too keen on a punch for my liking but he does seem to get a decent contact on it 9 times out of 10.

Fans around me were fuming with him for that but I thought it was excellent goalkeeping to rush out and close down the angle after he got sold down the River Trent by Smith.

I think he's a decent keeper and would we have scored if he hadn't gone up on Monday?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
HertsGTFC
May 26, 2022, 8:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
I think his assists in the oppositions box are game changers, he’s not bad in goal either.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
Maringer
May 26, 2022, 9:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,649
Gold Stars: 189
I thought Crocombe was actually a little slow getting out during that incident as it was there to be collected IMO (despite the needlessly crappy header), but he blocked the shot so ultimately did his job.

Not one to make too many dramatic saves, but competent enough and his kicking is  pretty good for this level which makes a difference. I expect him to be our first choice next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
TownSNAFU5
May 26, 2022, 9:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
I posted after the County game that a few heroes emerged and were rightly praised.  I then highlighted Max for a very solid and reliable performance in the County game, in a thread.

He does not make fancy saves or bad errors that even top PL keepers make occasionally.  Like a good ref, you don’t usually notice him.  Even with limited experience he can handle big games with a large hostile crowd.  His competence is even more needed on Sat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
May 26, 2022, 9:59pm
Guest User
I’m a fan. More please.
Reply: 6 - 10
ska face
May 26, 2022, 10:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from Maringer
I thought Crocombe was actually a little slow getting out during that incident as it was there to be collected IMO (despite the needlessly crappy header), but he blocked the shot so ultimately did his job.

No chance, it came down on the edge of the box when Smith had Wootton up his árse. Smith’s just got too much on the header & put it right back across the face of goal.

No point arguing about it now though. Alls well that ends well.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 26, 2022, 10:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,913
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from 140381
I’m a fan. More please.

Former farm machinery?

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
TheultimateMariner
May 26, 2022, 11:06pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
Think he made a couple of fantastic saves actually, one that sticks out for me was when we were 1-0 down and he made a cracking save from close range to keep us in the game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
Madeleymariner
May 27, 2022, 9:26am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Maringer

Not one to make too many dramatic saves, but competent enough and his kicking is  pretty good for this level which makes a difference. I expect him to be our first choice next season.

Think it was another miscommunication between Max and Waterfall, who could easily have got to the ball before their striker as well but at first they left it for each other.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Max Crocombe

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.