BrMarin
May 27, 2022, 3:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +95
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from DaleH

I agree, and I'm not in any way suggesting a change to the formation. I do have doubts about Holohan being fit though, as he looked in a bad way when he came off from where I was sat over near the dugouts. Might have just been fatigue/cramp though.

Looked like it might be a hamstring the way he was holding the back of his leg. Hope he is fit play though, good attitude and capable of popping up with a goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 52
Mariner93er
May 27, 2022, 5:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Whatever the team, we can't be afraid of Wrexham and need to try to control the game like we did against Notts. We may not have players with the ability of Mullins or Palmer, but we can outwork them. We saw it against Notts were our workrate nullified their front 3. That's the only way I think we win. If we let them get control and push up the pitch, they're too lethal in the final third.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 52
TownSNAFU5
May 27, 2022, 5:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
Besides stopping their high-scorers, we also took control of the midfield at County for large parts of the game. Helps if their players get injured as well.

More of the same tomorrow please.  Similar lineup as they also have high-scoring forwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 52
toontown
May 27, 2022, 6:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Mariner93er
Whatever the team, we can't be afraid of Wrexham and need to try to control the game like we did against Notts. We may not have players with the ability of Mullins or Palmer, but we can outwork them. We saw it against Notts were our workrate nullified their front 3. That's the only way I think we win. If we let them get control and push up the pitch, they're too lethal in the final third.

Yeah totally this. Wrexham fans have been complaining all season about their midfield as their weak point. Whereas up front with mullin and palmer, and at the back with tozer and hayden they have really splashed the cash.

We have to win midfield and pin their wing backs inside their own half and isolate their quality strikers. With that and if their players wilt under the pressure we have a chance. However they have such a good home record (onlyb1 league defeat and even that was when they were down to 10 men)and a record of some great late comebacks we will have to be on it right to the death even if we did amazingly happen to be a couple of goals ahead.

I just hope injury and tiredness from County don't scupper our midfield's chances of getting a grip on the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 52
lew chaterleys lover
May 27, 2022, 6:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,746
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from toontown

Yeah totally this. Wrexham fans have been complaining all season about their midfield as their weak point. Whereas up front with mullin and palmer, and at the back with tozer and hayden they have really splashed the cash.

We have to win midfield and pin their wing backs inside their own half and isolate their quality strikers. With that and if their players wilt under the pressure we have a chance. However they have such a good home record (onlyb1 league defeat and even that was when they were down to 10 men)and a record of some great late comebacks we will have to be on it right to the death even if we did amazingly happen to be a couple of goals ahead.

I just hope injury and tiredness from County don't scupper our midfield's chances of getting a grip on the game.

I don't think tiredness will come into it. Wrexham had a stamina-sapping and emotionally draining final at Wembley the day before our game. They played so poorly and lost so badly that will have taken more out of them on the Sunday than our opposite set of emotions on Monday.

It will be a great shame if any of our players miss out due to injury, but the rest will be raring to go!

Reading Wrexham's forum, nearly all their better players have had to play every game and are getting tired, as they surprisingly do not seem to have the strength in depth whereas we have adequate cover in all the important areas.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 52
toontown
May 27, 2022, 7:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70

I don't think tiredness will come into it. Wrexham had a stamina-sapping and emotionally draining final at Wembley the day before our game. They played so poorly and lost so badly that will have taken more out of them on the Sunday than our opposite set of emotions on Monday.

It will be a great shame if any of our players miss out due to injury, but the rest will be raring to go!

Reading Wrexham's forum, nearly all their better players have had to play every game and are getting tired, as they surprisingly do not seem to have the strength in depth whereas we have adequate cover in all the important areas.

That 'game to spare' against Eastleigh were we could rest everybody seems really vital after the game at County a week later. Plus it got vital minutes into those on the fringe as an added bonus.

I did note that one of their ex managers was being interviewed about the fact they've failed so many times in the playoffs before. He commented that the layers are new and might not even know so it won't effect them, we'll I doubt they haven't been made aware since. However he did also comment that at teams like Wrexham and Luton (and town too to be fair I bet) the expectation levels when your in non league to win can mean if games  don't go as well as expected tension and negativity can transmit from the crowd and how it had hindered them one year. He was talking about previous playoffs but that expectation is only going to be magnified hugely this year, if they start badly the pressure and nerves could mean the home crowd hinders rather than helps. It's obviously not been a problem for them so far this season though, but no game at home has been as important as this one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 52
lew chaterleys lover
May 27, 2022, 8:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,746
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from toontown

That 'game to spare' against Eastleigh were we could rest everybody seems really vital after the game at County a week later. Plus it got vital minutes into those on the fringe as an added bonus.

I did note that one of their ex managers was being interviewed about the fact they've failed so many times in the playoffs before. He commented that the layers are new and might not even know so it won't effect them, we'll I doubt they haven't been made aware since. However he did also comment that at teams like Wrexham and Luton (and town too to be fair I bet) the expectation levels when your in non league to win can mean if games  don't go as well as expected tension and negativity can transmit from the crowd and how it had hindered them one year. He was talking about previous playoffs but that expectation is only going to be magnified hugely this year, if they start badly the pressure and nerves could mean the home crowd hinders rather than helps. It's obviously not been a problem for them so far this season though, but no game at home has been as important as this one.

Yes these games are so utterly predictable in that they will be unpredictable for all those reasons you mentioned and a whole load of others.

Take the other night.  Might that Notts player have seen red? Might they have had 2 pens? Was that Waterfall header back 100 % out and if Crocombe hadn't got the slightest of touches would we have scored?!

Anything could happen; they could romp home, we could romp home and anything in between.

As you say one thing is for sure the pressure is on them more than us but it doesn't feel much like that were I'm standing as I am nervous as a kitten. I bet our players take it all in their stride. Their professionalism and never say die attitude the other night was exemplary.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 52
Poojah
May 27, 2022, 8:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508

Yes these games are so utterly predictable in that they will be unpredictable for all those reasons you mentioned and a whole load of others.

Take the other night.  Might that Notts player have seen red? Might they have had 2 pens? Was that Waterfall header back 100 % out and if Crocombe hadn't got the slightest of touches would we have scored?!

Anything could happen; they could romp home, we could romp home and anything in between.

As you say one thing is for sure the pressure is on them more than us but it doesn't feel much like that were I'm standing as I am nervous as a kitten. I bet our players take it all in their stride. Their professionalism and never say die attitude the other night was exemplary.

I tried to convince myself before the Notts game that I wasn’t nervous; that it had already been a great season, that it was a free hit. It was only as the players emerged onto the Meadow Lane pitch and I found myself shaking like a shítting dog that I realised how naive that was. How the game played out only made things much, much worse.

There’s no getting away from it, the play-offs are nerve shredding. They’re absolutely out of this world to win, and painful as fúck to lose. A season’s hard work counting for nothing. Except in our case it wouldn’t.

IF we lose tomorrow, when the dust settles, we can look back on the massive building job we’ve done this season. The transition from dysfunctional relegation basket cases to the side we are right now has been incredible. We would go into next season in far better shape than we did this. Make absolutely no mistake, and in a much weaker league too.

But here’s the BUT. I don’t think we’ll lose. I think we’ll win. Not just tomorrow, but the play-offs. That’s not based on rational thought or objectivity; that tells me otherwise. It’s just this deep, nagging feeling at the pit of my stomach. It’s all I can see in my head. Things will work out our way. Somehow. By or by crook.

We’ll find out soon enough.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 52
ncfc_chalky
May 27, 2022, 8:41pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +422
Gold Stars: 58
Quoted from Poojah

Iand I found myself shaking like a shítting dog that I realised how naive that was.

They’re absolutely out of this world to win, and painful as fúck to lose. .

I didn't know that there was a way around the swear filter 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 52
Poojah
May 27, 2022, 8:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from ncfc_chalky

I didn't know that there was a way around the swear filter 😂

I have special privileges on here. I don’t even have to use foreign characters if I don’t fucking feel like it.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham Team

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.