RonMariner
May 26, 2022, 11:25pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,798
Gold Stars: 226
If they are all fit I’d go with the same line up as Monday,

I have to say that, whatever happens on Saturday, I am so so proud of this team and what they have done this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 52
Teestogreen
May 26, 2022, 11:54pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -160
Gold Stars: 23
Should make it easy for Wrexham to suss us out, if Town keep it as previously described
Think we’re heading for the bus to the next game 😎

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 52
DaleH
May 27, 2022, 9:08am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +816
Gold Stars: 168
GK: Crocombe
B4: Cropper Waterfall Smith Amos
MF3: Fox Coke Clifton (assuming Holohan not fit to start)
F3: Sousa McAtee Dieseruvwe

That would be my starting 11. A flexible 4-3-3 that can transition from something that looks like 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 out of possession, to something that resembles 3-4-3 in possesion.

For me, I am not suggesting that Ryan Taylor hasn't played well, because he has. But this is not league football, it is knock-out tournament/cup football, and you don't get anything for a draw and you are going home on a sad bus with a defeat. So it's absolute goals that brings you success in knock-out football, and 1 point on the board brings you nothing.

I listened to Paul's interview when he spoke about Dieseruvwe, and I understand that he feels there is still a lot of work to do to improve him, especially in terms of the way he positions himself or directs runs in front of goal, where Paul wants him to frame the goal more. And I get that. But when you look at Dieseruvwe's goal return, it is incredible.

6 goals in 14 games and most of those as substitute I think.
4 goals in his last two appearances.
1.3 goals per 90 minutes played.
69 minutes per goal.

At Notts he also won as many first balls and pinned them just as well as what Ryan Taylor did.

It is a brave manager that ignores those type of stats and form in knockout football. If it was me in the dugout I would be starting him, but I also get that Paul might look at him as an impact player.

Whatever the outcome. I trust in Paul Hurst, and I know that everyone who gets on that pitch tomorrow will be giving it their all

UTM

Time to resurrect my Fishy signature again. So here goes.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 52
BeijingMariner
May 27, 2022, 9:39am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from toontown
a rusty raihky (haha) would be a risk given the already risky passes he's prone to even when on it.

so which will it be, a rusty Raihky or a ricky Raihky? or both!!

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 33 - 52
mariner91
May 27, 2022, 10:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from DaleH
GK: Crocombe
B4: Cropper Waterfall Smith Amos
MF3: Fox Coke Clifton (assuming Holohan not fit to start)
F3: Sousa McAtee Dieseruvwe

That would be my starting 11. A flexible 4-3-3 that can transition from something that looks like 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 out of possession, to something that resembles 3-4-3 in possesion.

For me, I am not suggesting that Ryan Taylor hasn't played well, because he has. But this is not league football, it is knock-out tournament/cup football, and you don't get anything for a draw and you are going home on a sad bus with a defeat. So it's absolute goals that brings you success in knock-out football, and 1 point on the board brings you nothing.

I listened to Paul's interview when he spoke about Dieseruvwe, and I understand that he feels there is still a lot of work to do to improve him, especially in terms of the way he positions himself or directs runs in front of goal, where Paul wants him to frame the goal more. And I get that. But when you look at Dieseruvwe's goal return, it is incredible.

6 goals in 14 games and most of those as substitute I think.
4 goals in his last two appearances.
1.3 goals per 90 minutes played.
69 minutes per goal.

At Notts he also won as many first balls and pinned them just as well as what Ryan Taylor did.

It is a brave manager that ignores those type of stats and form in knockout football. If it was me in the dugout I would be starting him, but I also get that Paul might look at him as an impact player.

Whatever the outcome. I trust in Paul Hurst, and I know that everyone who gets on that pitch tomorrow will be giving it their all

UTM

Coke hasn't played more than 5 minutes of competitive football in about 2 months and you want him starting in a play off semi-final? Also, has Mani ever played out wide?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 52
DaleH
May 27, 2022, 11:11am
Beer Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Coke hasn't played more than 5 minutes of competitive football in about 2 months and you want him starting in a play off semi-final? Also, has Mani ever played out wide?

I'm not suggesting he plays out wide. Ignore the manner in which they are listed. Fluid 4-3-3 football doesn't depend on players moving up and down a field in fixed channels like marching soldiers. You only have to see the areas that our front three picked up the ball in different lateral areas across the pitch on Monday, to see the fluidity with which they played. Particularly loved the manner in which Paul Hurst has got them recognising half spaces too, which is refreshing to see in football at such a low level. Just goes to show that you don't have to have the players that Pep Guardiola has available to him, in order to make things difficult for defending opponents, when you utilise the half spaces.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 52
mariner91
May 27, 2022, 11:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from DaleH

I'm not suggesting he plays out wide. Ignore the manner in which they are listed. Fluid 4-3-3 football doesn't depend on players moving up and down a field in fixed channels like marching soldiers. You only have to see the areas that our front three picked up the ball in different lateral areas across the pitch on Monday, to see the fluidity with which they played. Particularly loved the manner in which Paul Hurst has got them recognising half spaces too, which is refreshing to see in football at such a low level. Just goes to show that you don't have to have the players that Pep Guardiola has available to him, in order to make things difficult for defending opponents, when you utilise the half spaces.

Wrexham will play a similar system to Notts, utilising wing backs. Sousa did a great job of tracking and giving them no space down the right which stopped them ever really getting going despite Chicksen being a really good player. Clifton also did a similarly good job, as he always does, on the left side. Changing the personnel (unless forced)  and formation for an opposition that will likely play in a way that we stifled so well on Monday would be foolish in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 52
DaleH
May 27, 2022, 11:50am
Beer Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Wrexham will play a similar system to Notts, utilising wing backs. Sousa did a great job of tracking and giving them no space down the right which stopped them ever really getting going despite Chicksen being a really good player. Clifton also did a similarly good job, as he always does, on the left side. Changing the personnel (unless forced)  and formation for an opposition that will likely play in a way that we stifled so well on Monday would be foolish in my opinion.

I agree, and I'm not in any way suggesting a change to the formation. I do have doubts about Holohan being fit though, as he looked in a bad way when he came off from where I was sat over near the dugouts. Might have just been fatigue/cramp though.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 52
mariner91
May 27, 2022, 12:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from DaleH

I agree, and I'm not in any way suggesting a change to the formation. I do have doubts about Holohan being fit though, as he looked in a bad way when he came off from where I was sat over near the dugouts. Might have just been fatigue/cramp though.

Ah okay, I've misinterpreted, please accept my apologies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 52
diehardmariner
May 27, 2022, 12:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Injuries aside, it would be madness surely to make any changes to the team that started on Monday.  

Mani has done great but he's an impact player for us.  Taylor and McAtee is the pairing.  Taylor doesn't look the same without McAtee and vice-versa.  Granted, Taylor's goal return isn't the best but he brings everything together top.  

Sousa was immense on Monday whereas JMD has largely struggled since he returned from injury.  Sousa played 120 minutes and JMD played 39, yet it's the former who looked fresher at the end.  No way would I want to see JMD start a high tempo game like this, not until he addresses his fitness issues.  Excellent option on the bench but no more for me at this stage.

It was energy that saw us be the better team on Monday, that will be the same tomorrow.  Essential we keep those players with the most energy in the starting line-up.

Regards Coke, I suspect he'll get the nod on the bench for his experience alone.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham Team

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.