2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
DB
April 13, 2022, 7:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Money earners like Scannell, Rose and Macca all have their contracts ending this year so it should free up the wage bill a bit. This would give more cash for Hurst to play with.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
diehardmariner
April 13, 2022, 10:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

Behind Harry in both Chesterfield and Weymouth Ratings.

https://thefishy.co.uk/matchratings.php?id=39&view=1

https://thefishy.co.uk/matchratings.php?id=40&view=1

Like I said I'll wait and see how he gets on before I decide if he's better than what we currently got instead of judging him on the Chesterfield game alone.

Jones played in central midfield for those games. Clifton played on the wing.  Comparing apples and pears.  

I've long advocated a move to put Clifton back in a more central role where I think his energy would be used much better.  But after a shaky start against Chesterfield, Jones went onto offer us something we've not really had since Hunt left and that's the ability to turn the ball over quickly from in our own half.  As soon as he and Holohan, who is also offering us something fresh, clicked together it looked a natural pairing.

I completely agree about waiting for more than two games.  However I suspect Jones is someone who Hurst will look to retain as a holding midfielder, most likely in the place of Coke.  I think as the season has gone and he's realised he needs more complete players than those who can do very specific jobs.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
TheRealJohnLewis
April 13, 2022, 7:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from diehardmariner

Jones played in central midfield for those games. Clifton played on the wing.  Comparing apples and pears.  

I've long advocated a move to put Clifton back in a more central role where I think his energy would be used much better.  But after a shaky start against Chesterfield, Jones went onto offer us something we've not really had since Hunt left and that's the ability to turn the ball over quickly from in our own half.  As soon as he and Holohan, who is also offering us something fresh, clicked together it looked a natural pairing.

I completely agree about waiting for more than two games.  However I suspect Jones is someone who Hurst will look to retain as a holding midfielder, most likely in the place of Coke.  I think as the season has gone and he's realised he needs more complete players than those who can do very specific jobs.

Thank you for a reasoned reply. In theory, if Clifton can score higher in a position that is not his strongest then he should have scored higher if playing in the centre. My personal view is that a Harry should be the first name on the team sheet.

Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
diehardmariner
April 14, 2022, 9:41am
Vodka Drinker
I completely agree.

Clifton is my Player of the Season so far.  Regardless of where he plays he gives a 7.5 each and every week, it's no accolade really but he was also my Player of the Season for last year.  

Prior to signing Holohan I felt our only real option to improve the midfield was to push Clifton back inside with the instruction that his energy was to be used to go beyond the frontman/men and stretch play a little bit.  The last thing we needed was him sitting deep in a similar fashion to Coke, Hunt, Raikhy, Jones and even to a lesser extent Fox.    But since we've added Holohan that need has negated a fair bit.  In Holohan we've got a player who is willing and capable of playing a little bit further up the pitch when needed and carrying the ball when doing so.  

I see the addition of Jones as more of a replacement for Coke/Raikhy than a direct competition to that more advanced midfield role.  

I'd like to see Clifton back in the middle but I've got to be honest and say I'm not sure how he fits in now.  Last home game he and Holohan paired together and it looked fine and balanced, albeit against weak opposition.  But Jones, again just against Chesterfield on a single performance, gave us extra balance.  

Amos and then Efete/Cropper pushing forward from full-back is a big asset of our play, having a dedicated and mobile sitting midfielder allows that to happen more often as Jones (in this case) can effectively become a third centre back to cover any gaps.  Equally so, whilst I completely understand the frustration at Hurst's ongoing selection of Clifton on the left, I kinda get it.  Because he naturally shifts inside 10 yards, that gives his left-back a little bit more space to exploit but it also allows us to overload in midfield against teams when he does so.  With both and him JMD naturally drifting inside that leaves us at risk at times of finding ourselves overrun on the flanks, probably why Hurst has faith in him out there as his energy allows him to recover.

With Fox back in the equation I wouldn't be surprised if Clifton continues out wide for the foreseeable future.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
Nutsy
April 14, 2022, 9:45am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +157
Gold Stars: 5
I completely agree.

Clifton is my Player of the Season so far.  Regardless of where he plays he gives a 7.5 each and every week, it's no accolade really but he was also my Player of the Season for last year.  

Prior to signing Holohan I felt our only real option to improve the midfield was to push Clifton back inside with the instruction that his energy was to be used to go beyond the frontman/men and stretch play a little bit.  The last thing we needed was him sitting deep in a similar fashion to Coke, Hunt, Raikhy, Jones and even to a lesser extent Fox.    But since we've added Holohan that need has negated a fair bit.  In Holohan we've got a player who is willing and capable of playing a little bit further up the pitch when needed and carrying the ball when doing so.  

I see the addition of Jones as more of a replacement for Coke/Raikhy than a direct competition to that more advanced midfield role.  

I'd like to see Clifton back in the middle but I've got to be honest and say I'm not sure how he fits in now.  Last home game he and Holohan paired together and it looked fine and balanced, albeit against weak opposition.  But Jones, again just against Chesterfield on a single performance, gave us extra balance.  

Amos and then Efete/Cropper pushing forward from full-back is a big asset of our play, having a dedicated and mobile sitting midfielder allows that to happen more often as Jones (in this case) can effectively become a third centre back to cover any gaps.  Equally so, whilst I completely understand the frustration at Hurst's ongoing selection of Clifton on the left, I kinda get it.  Because he naturally shifts inside 10 yards, that gives his left-back a little bit more space to exploit but it also allows us to overload in midfield against teams when he does so.  With both and him JMD naturally drifting inside that leaves us at risk at times of finding ourselves overrun on the flanks, probably why Hurst has faith in him out there as his energy allows him to recover.

With Fox back in the equation I wouldn't be surprised if Clifton continues out wide for the foreseeable future.

Appreciate this response and insight

What are our midfield options next season; from what I’ve seen Holohan, Clifton, Fox and Jones are our better players

Raikhy is on loan and Coke is not quite up to speed anymore.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
Northbank Mariner
April 14, 2022, 11:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

Thank you for a reasoned reply. In theory, if Clifton can score higher in a position that is not his strongest then he should have scored higher if playing in the centre. My personal view is that a Harry should be the first name on the team sheet.

I have one issue with Clifton, for as much as I love his work rate, battling personality, playing like his life depended on it, he still misses to many passes if it's anything further than 5 yards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
diehardmariner
April 14, 2022, 11:29am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Nutsy

Appreciate this response and insight

What are our midfield options next season; from what I’ve seen Holohan, Clifton, Fox and Jones are our better players

Raikhy is on loan and Coke is not quite up to speed anymore.

I'd be amazed if Coke is offered a new deal.  He came in 14 months ago and gave us exactly what we needed, steel, in the midfield but this year has proved one too many for him.  He's shown another 12 months toil on his legs and I think we've moved on a little bit since then too.  

Holohan is under contract whilst Fox and Jones are effectively playing for one.  Clifton is in talks but I still think Hurst will see him as a utility man rather than solely a central midfielder.  Even if Fox and Jones both stay that only leaves us with 3 in the central berth.  I've been told the club had high hopes for Khouri in a central position but a year of injuries has poured doubt on him, which is a great shame as he looked to have something about him.  

Two of the lads who've just got professional deals (Braithwaite and Tomlinson) are midfielders whilst another (Bramwell) can play there too.  I know these are only kids but I can't envisage Hurst overloading on midfielders for the sake of it in the summer.  

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
diehardmariner
April 14, 2022, 11:31am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I have one issue with Clifton, for as much as I love his work rate, battling personality, playing like his life depended on it, he still misses to many passes if it's anything further than 5 yards.

It's the old adage though isn't it, if he could pass better he probably wouldn't be at this level.

Technically I think he's improved quite a lot in the last year or so.  I've noticed that he seems to be using his left foot a lot more since playing out on the left flank too.  He's still predominantly right footed but I think he's showing he's more than capable of improving further.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
toontown
April 14, 2022, 8:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70

It's the old adage though isn't it, if he could pass better he probably wouldn't be at this level.

Technically I think he's improved quite a lot in the last year or so.  I've noticed that he seems to be using his left foot a lot more since playing out on the left flank too.  He's still predominantly right footed but I think he's showing he's more than capable of improving further.

Yeah his short passing has improved considerably over the last 18 months (admittedly from a very low bar)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Joey Jones' future

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.