8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Mighty_Mariner
March 27, 2022, 12:47pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,241
Gold Stars: 10
I’m interested to hear how Holohan has got on for those that have seen him in the last two games.

What is his style of play? Strengths? Does he look to have a goal threat? How’s his fitness looking?

Any info appreciated.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 72
HertsGTFC
March 27, 2022, 1:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
I’m interested to hear how Holohan has got on for those that have seen him in the last two games.

What is his style of play? Strengths? Does he look to have a goal threat? How’s his fitness looking?

Any info appreciated.

From what I’ve seen a half decent signing who likes to get forward and can play, good talker on the pitch too.

I think once he gets more minutes under his belt he’ll make a real difference.

Good signing and first impressions look like he’s worth the deal he got

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 72
HertsGTFC
March 27, 2022, 1:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Phil the cod
is it really that long ago we were bemoaning the fact that we couldn't compete financially with the likes of Newcastle,wolves,notts forest, sheff United,Stoke,.......now it's the mighty footballing colossus that is Solihull moors.........did I dream those years in the championship? Solihull are another outfit that can only muster 40 fans for an away game btw, and we take 100 times that to notts county.....remind me how we can't compete to sign players? They'd rather go to Solihull! We are screwed if true.

FFS!!

In answer to your first question yes it was well over 20+ years ago now, you didn’t dream our days in the 2nd tier but clearly you’ve been asleep for most of the time since we dropped out of it.

A few things have happened in football since that make this a very different world. A lot of things have happened at GTFC that make this a very different club.

A lot of people involved with GTFC are working hard for its betterment long term, so you can either get with the program or keep living in the past, by the way someone once said the past is for reference and not residence and I’m sure the people I mention above reference past mistakes all the time to ensure that they’re not repeated, they don’t need constant reminders dredging up.

This club was broken from top to bottom and it ain’t getting fixed quickly but I’m confident it will get fixed properly, if it’s not in your time scale then maybe you should examine your expectations.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 72
TownSNAFU5
March 27, 2022, 1:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
We have been relegated twice by a fraction of a goal (using the earlier goal average method).  This in the last 60 years.  

From memory, by 0.75 of a goal from the Championship equivalent.  Then from the old third division by 0.007 or 0,008 of a goal.  Both very tough to take.

The point about goal difference being used to determine League placings at the end of the season is that you don’t know if our GD is material until you get there.  Trying to improve GD during the season is always advisable.  Just in case.  Not so easy in practice though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 72
Phil the cod
March 27, 2022, 1:59pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from HertsGTFC

FFS!!

In answer to your first question yes it was well over 20+ years ago now, you didn’t dream our days in the 2nd tier but clearly you’ve been asleep for most of the time since we dropped out of it.

A few things have happened in football since that make this a very different world. A lot of things have happened at GTFC that make this a very different club.

A lot of people involved with GTFC are working hard for its betterment long term, so you can either get with the program or keep living in the past, by the way someone once said the past is for reference and not residence and I’m sure the people I mention above reference past mistakes all the time to ensure that they’re not repeated, they don’t need constant reminders dredging up.

This club was broken from top to bottom and it ain’t getting fixed quickly but I’m confident it will get fixed properly, if it’s not in your time scale then maybe you should examine your expectations.

So I should accept a club of our heritage and tradition should be outbid by basically Sunday league outfits like Solihull?
We get 5000 fans at our games, they get 1200, what part of that doesn't give me the right to expect us to be competitive in non league football, too many like you acceptant of mediocrity and failure.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 72
arryarryarry
March 27, 2022, 1:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Nothing wrong with Taylor’s performance today. He occupied two of their centre backs for most of the game. If opposition managers decide to do that, it’s up to us to use the space that creates. It’s something we did better today than on Tuesday.

Maybe so but as our main striker, I don't think he ever looked like he might score.

As for the game, not our best performance so far but did enough to see off a side that looked ineffective for most of the game.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 72
wigworld
March 27, 2022, 2:21pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Phil the cod

So I should accept a club of our heritage and tradition should be outbid by basically Sunday league outfits like Solihull?
We get 5000 fans at our games, they get 1200, what part of that doesn't give me the right to expect us to be competitive in non league football, too many like you acceptant of mediocrity and failure.

Solihull Moors are not alone in this, but they are spending in a non-sustainable way that jeopardises the long tem future of their club.
We are run sustainably and yet contary to what you say, we are competitive.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 56 - 72
HertsGTFC
March 27, 2022, 2:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from wigworld

Solihull Moors are not alone in this, but they are spending in a non-sustainable way that jeopardises the long tem future of their club.
We are run sustainably and yet contary to what you say, we are competitive.

Exactly!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 72
Kris2
March 27, 2022, 3:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Phil the cod

I think we as fans need to accept our current position without a chip on our shoulder because of things that happened 20+ years ago. Non-league has become the plaything of the rich and famous who want to play Football Manager for real, "Can I take this obscure club in some city suburb that nobody knows about to the Premiership?" and they pump a lot of their fortune into making it happen in the hope of a return eventually. We still compete with financial giants in every league who want to buy their way to the top. We are competitive in this league, we've had years of rot and been relegated again due to that imploding, we aren't in Division One as an unfashionable club with unfashionable players that outplay the big teams with strong local support anymore and have not been that in many years.

Remembering the past is nice but you need to accept the now if we are ever going to advance as a club, the fans need to do the same and stop acting arrogantly or judging things based on things that happened decades ago, this is where we are now. We do have fantastic support and we've been given the budget to build a competitive squad, have we spend hundreds of thousands to sign players? No, because that is not sustainable. We have been given the budget to sign plenty of players though. We've had bad luck with some injuries and some loan signings not working out but I think our signings this season were well scouted and players that have done a decent job for the most part. Jordan Cropper could be a bit of a steal in giving a chance to a player who has been out of football a while who gives us something we didn't have along with covering for an injury.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 72
MuddyWaters
March 27, 2022, 5:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from arryarryarry

Maybe so but as our main striker, I don't think he ever looked like he might score.

As for the game, not our best performance so far but did enough to see off a side that looked ineffective for most of the game.

In games like that, he’s being sacrificed to make space for others, to occupy the centre backs so that JMD, Scannell and McAtee can get in behind. Different teams play different ways, what’s obvious is that teams aren’t giving Taylor the space that he was getting earlier in the season.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.