MuddyWaters
March 26, 2022, 10:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Firstly a word on John McAtee I thought his interactions with the supporters when he was walking to the dug out after being subbed was real class.

It looked today like the players where playing to win but also to stay in the starting 11 as we now have a few options.

Decent performance and if we can keep that 4 across the middle I think we’ll finish the season well once JMD, Scannell and Hoolihan have a few more minutes in the bank.

Despite a bit of a scare at the end I thought the back 4 did well, both CB’s deserve a mention as I thought they where really strong and looked assured.

Similar to some of the comments above I thought Taylor’s game was decent today as he made a real nuisance of himself within the rules, McAtee should have finished the game off but never mind his all round contribution was very good especially after the break.

So will we make the play offs? If this squad and player availability had been in place by the end of the January window I think we’d have been right up there but looking at where we are now I think it’s an evans chance.

Let’s see, UTM!!

I don’t see us having a much better starting line up than today other than Holohan and Cropper being fitter. I like Efete but Cropper’s long throw gives us an extra attacking dimension. Much to play for and much to look forward to.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 72
HerveJosse
March 26, 2022, 11:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,209
Gold Stars: 144
I think there is a clear divide in quality in this league between the top eight or so and the rest and how we perform game to game is dictated largely by the quality of the opposition . Dagenham fell below that line today and  after 10 mins I felt we would win whereas after 10 mins against Solihull on Tuesday it was clear they were better. In many ways the results and league positions this season are providing an unusually predictable pattern .To squeeze into seventh we need Bromley and Borehamwood to continue their recent poor form.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 72
AndyGTFC
March 26, 2022, 11:54pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Weren't great today but solid at the back and Dagenham didn't really cause us many problems. Getting on the end of Cropper's long throw is definitely something we need to work on as it could be a proper weapon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 72
pontoonlew
March 27, 2022, 7:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
From the minute the line up was announced you felt we’d win, we played two actual wingers for a start. Far more positive and amazingly we win, who knew?

Two tough old games now, be happy with 3 points realistically.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 72
golfer
March 27, 2022, 8:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
Why oh why do we seem to consistently give away last minute goals?

Because we are nice people and like to cheer the other team up. My grandma always told me not to take without giving something back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 72
lew chaterleys lover
March 27, 2022, 8:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,746
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from HerveJosse
I think there is a clear divide in quality in this league between the top eight or so and the rest and how we perform game to game is dictated largely by the quality of the opposition . Dagenham fell below that line today and  after 10 mins I felt we would win whereas after 10 mins against Solihull on Tuesday it was clear they were better. In many ways the results and league positions this season are providing an unusually predictable pattern .To squeeze into seventh we need Bromley and Borehamwood to continue their recent poor form.

Matches dont last 10 mins. Overall we were better than Solihull  - even their manager didn't think they would get back into it. Fair play to him he took a gamble and it worked but we should have been out of sight.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 72
quebec38
March 27, 2022, 8:35am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Wasn’t exactly a vintage performance but you never felt like we were really troubled either.

On the one hand I want us to win and play well and look the part, but on the other I think “we need to be in it to win it” and the points each game are the most important thing. We’ve looked solid against the likes of Chesterfield and Notts at home and taken nothing which kind of proves that.

Cropper looks alright to me. The throw is a weapon, we just need to work out how best to utilise it now. Hurst could do with looking at a few old Stoke early Premier League highlights!

Nice to see us go for it with Scannell starting. Tough game for him on the wrong side but he still looks class and keeps the ball.

UTM
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 72
golfer
March 27, 2022, 8:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Better midfield today - and we have Fox on the mend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 72
Poojah
March 27, 2022, 9:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
A slightly strange game with some slightly strange goals, but this was always about the result and we were good value for the three points in the end.

I enjoy watching Erico Sousa but for me his season has been punctuated by the things he hasn’t done. In Jordan Maguire-Drew’s nine appearances he’s scored 4 goals, with a couple of assists thrown in to boot. He has to be one of the first names on the team sheet now; the ball he played through to meet Holohan’s great run in the first half was exquisite - shame he couldn’t finish.

Defensively we looked sound, and Andy Smith looks better by the game at centre half. I’d like to see him back here next season if that’s an option. Disappointing to concede a silly late goal again, but at least it didn’t cost us.

With Stockport having all but won the league, I think it’s 5 from positions 2 - 8 that will make the play-offs - Dagenham and Bromley have too much to do now. We’re in decent shape, and we should be pleased with where we are on balance, but there is little room for error in the final 9 games.

Onto Chesterfield.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 72
Phil the cod
March 27, 2022, 9:27am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Stockport won't be caught now, so out af all the teams in the mix I think Solihull will cause us the most problems, they outplayed us for most of that game on Tuesday.
Chesterfield have been found out as a one man team, notts county a bit unpredictable, no one will want to play us.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.