Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from diehardmariner

Correct.

I should have stated it was in response to the comment highlighted in bold :

Yep, fair play. I’m with you in that I don’t like the idea of inorganic investment in the playing squad, with the odd minor exception (e.g. firming up the squad in the midst of a title race).

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 75
jamesgtfc
March 24, 2022, 11:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Worth noting how much money we’ve been paid in transfer fees in the last year or so and who’s taken that money out of the club.

I also wonder how long we will have to wait to receive 7 figures in transfer income over 12 months. That money could have really made a huge difference on and off the pitch if it didn't get sent straight to Humberston Avenue.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 75
HertsGTFC
March 24, 2022, 11:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228

Correct.

I should have stated it was in response to the comment highlighted in bold :

I said “help improve the squad” I didn’t say pay transfer fees or players salaries. You can do the former without doing the latter.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 75
jamesgtfc
March 24, 2022, 11:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
I think external investment will be sought once we've paid our benign loan that will never compromise the future of the club. It wouldn't surprise me if he has a clause for external investment like he has on transfer fees.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 75
diehardmariner
March 24, 2022, 11:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Perhaps I've not had enough coffee this morning.  But if we're talking investment in improving the squad, I'm struggling to see how you do that other than via transfer fees or wages.

Or are you thinking on the terms of improving it via better coaches, facilities, sports science etc.?  If so I think we're splitting hairs, undoubtedly from me!  I think 1878 will welcome any wider investment, I don't think they'll want someone coming in saying they can give us £300,000 to spend on a striker.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 75
HertsGTFC
March 24, 2022, 11:38am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I think external investment will be sought once we've paid our benign loan that will never compromise the future of the club. It wouldn't surprise me if he has a clause for external investment like he has on transfer fees.

I think with the liability we have to Fenty asking anyone to invest now would be a bit of a cheek considering in a kind of way they’d be subsidising the payments we owe him.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 75
HertsGTFC
March 24, 2022, 11:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Perhaps I've not had enough coffee this morning.  But if we're talking investment in improving the squad, I'm struggling to see how you do that other than via transfer fees or wages.

Or are you thinking on the terms of improving it via better coaches, facilities, sports science etc.?  If so I think we're splitting hairs, undoubtedly from me!  I think 1878 will welcome any wider investment, I don't think they'll want someone coming in saying they can give us £300,000 to spend on a striker.

I am 100% in the same space as you on this for sure 👍

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 75
Maringer
March 24, 2022, 12:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,642
Gold Stars: 189
The word 'Investment' covers a lot of bases in footballspeak. Usually, it really means 'gift' from those wealthy enough to give it away as sounds to be the case with this Chesterfield bung. Of course, we also know the case where it is actually a loan which needs to be paid back at a future date.

The ideal is that the club generates all the money they need to continue to operate successfully but every club is attempting the same by hook or by crook and obviously not every club can be successful at the same time. Makes life very difficult for those not willing to chuck money at the problem, even when it is the right thing to do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 75
KingstonMariner
March 24, 2022, 12:42pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Going back to Hurst’s point about Solihull offering better wages to one of his transfer targets, that is important to note. How they do it I don’t know, but it should influence our expectations as fans.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 75
MuddyWaters
March 24, 2022, 12:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
I’m not sure why we keep rattling on about the debt to Fenty. It was obviously agreed and any funds raised by the sale of Pollock, Grist and Dembele only hasten the payment of the debt and don’t change the amount due which was signed off in the deal.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chesterfield

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.