8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
March 24, 2022, 9:01am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
2 Brothers have put £1 Million into them which will go towards transfers today and infrastructure

another reminder of what we are up against
Logged Offline
Private Message
ska face
March 24, 2022, 9:05am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,754
Gold Stars: 851
The multi-millionaires of the NE Lincs area are letting the club down BADLY. Time to stand up and be counted. Get the chequebook out you skinflints.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 75
NorthseaMariner
March 24, 2022, 9:07am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
I was also surprised to read Hurst saying one of our transfer targets chose to go to Solihull Moors rather than us, because the money was considerably more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 75
Hagrid
March 24, 2022, 9:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
I was also surprised to read Hurst saying one of our transfer targets chose to go to Solihull Moors rather than us, because the money was considerably more.

saw that yesterday, I wondered if it was Dallas
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 75
diehardmariner
March 24, 2022, 9:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
That smacked a bit of desperation from Hurst, he knows what he's dealing with and any constraints he's under.  Moaning that we're getting outbid isn't going to win him any favours with fans, nor I suspect 1878.

There are a lot of high spenders in this division.  The absolute vast majority, if not all, are spending beyond their means.  I can't lie and say I'm not envious that clubs are bringing in players that we would like to have in our squad, but it is what it is.  It's the remit he's working to and even the slightest moan about it achieves nothing at all.

That said, you've gotta fear for the future of some of these clubs.  It's ok someone coming in and lobbing a £1million at transfers, that might get you 5 or 6 really good players at this level.  But they don't come on minimum wage.  They'll command a premium wage, more so if they're going to drop down to this level.    Chucking money at it is in no way a guaranteed route to success.  There's only 2 teams that are going up into League Two.  At least one team is going to be stuck in this division next season, with a wage bill that they've absolutely no chance of matching against their income.  Amidst this we're on the brink of a financial crisis globally.  

It is frustrating that we're not able to match the spending of some clubs, even more so when we know we've generated a bulk of money through sales and sell-ons, but long term I feel very comfortable for our future.  I can't say I share that view for Chesterfield, Stockport et al.  The disappointing irony is that the clubs that are chucking money at it are the ones who have previous for poor financial control and should be well aware of the downfalls of not cutting your cloth appropriately.  
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 75
Zmariner
March 24, 2022, 9:52am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from NorthseaMariner

It’s really thought-provoking if that is where we sit in the pecking order. If true I am really disillusioned
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 75
GollyGTFC
March 24, 2022, 10:03am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,048
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from Hagrid
2 Brothers have put £1 Million into them which will go towards transfers today and infrastructure

another reminder of what we are up against

Remind me how much 1878 said they will be putting into the club this financial year?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 75
Hagrid
March 24, 2022, 10:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Remind me how much 1878 said they will be putting into the club this financial year?

No idea? please enlighten me

But i doubt its 1 Million 3/4 of the way through the season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 75
HertsGTFC
March 24, 2022, 10:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Worth noting how much money we’ve been paid in transfer fees in the last year or so and who’s taken that money out of the club.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 75
Abdul19
March 24, 2022, 10:25am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,577
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Do a Columbo, do a Columbo!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 75
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chesterfield

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.