5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
March 17, 2022, 8:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
It’s a sad state of affairs - I used to look forward to the Telegraph dropping through my mum’s letterbox after school to read the latest Town news. The Sports Telegraph was really impressive logistically too, when you think about it. It would often drop through the door before my feet had even fully thawed from the match.

The digital age was always going to be the beginning of the end for the traditional press, but this kind of journalism, not to mention the broader ‘experience’ only pours accelerant on the flames burning it to the ground.

I’d be tempted to give the kid in question a little bit of slack; he’s relatively inexperienced to be in that role, will have been told to work to such a template and, I would imagine, is probably paid a miserly basic salary and commissioned on ad revenue generated from clicks. Hopefully he’ll learn from his mistakes and go on to have a decent career - but not writing like that.

But the Reach Group and their like are responsible for their own demise, operating in a vicious circle of declining revenues, a reduction in their ability to pay and attract decent staff, and a short-term urgency for clicks which fuels the further degradation of their offering.

There are about 80 really talented content producers in my organisation, nearly all ex-journalists or journalism graduates who have been totally alienated by the industry and its declining prospects.

But it needn’t be that way, it just requires a bit of thought and innovation. Anyone who subscribes to The Athletic will understand this.

Honestly, if the Telegraph Sports section went behind a paywall but provided regular Town related content of genuine interest and editorial quality, in a pleasant environment, I would absolutely subscribe for £5 - £10 a month. I bet loads of others would too.

I wouldn’t even mind seeing the odd ad or two either, so long as it wasn’t shoved down my throat like a Mason Greenwood cumshot, so they wouldn’t have to abandon that method entirely. In fact, I bet you could generate more ad revenue in totality that way because you’d actually be able to generate some genuine engagement from your readership.

It’ll never happen though, because at this point in their Benjamin Button life cycle, these organisations are completely bereft of people talented enough and with sufficient vision to make something like that a reality.

RIP GY Telegraph.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 41
blundellpork
March 17, 2022, 8:35pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,665
Gold Stars: 32
Grimsby Live is full of stories from outside of our area, or questions for the public to answer in the hope of generating a story.

The paper itself gives large spreads to such stories as ‘How much can I buy from B&M for a tenner?’. I struggle to see how many of them can claim to be a journalist as there is never any new news, or insight, simply weak stories, written in a sloppy and lazy manner.

With most articles that I read, I get the impression that the author hasn’t spoken to anyone directly and just lifted the story from Humberside, The Fishy, or another source.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 41
dicko995
March 17, 2022, 8:57pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -252
Gold Stars: 25
Im not sure if im on the same wavelength here, but since the beginning of the season, i cannot get my head round Elliot Jacksons reports, topics, video,s etc for this season. I havent read so much twaddle in all my life. He is a really bad journalist and interviewer. I havent read a lot into the Max Crocombe topic in the Telegraph, i tend to step away from rubbish reporting, but i do hope that we get a new reporter for next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 41
moosey_club
March 17, 2022, 8:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from blundellpork

With most articles that I read, I get the impression that the author hasn’t spoken to anyone directly and just lifted the story from Humberside, The Fishy, or another source.

Yes....talking of which....I was amazed to see how many pairs of trainers Efete and Sousa have between them.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 41
bawarmy
March 17, 2022, 8:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,020
Gold Stars: 33
This is the same paper that described a missing girls height as 4 foot 12.
It’s got no credibility and isn’t long for this world in hard copy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 41
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 17, 2022, 10:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,905
Gold Stars: 180
I’d trust more what Tommy target has to say

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 41
Mayaman
March 18, 2022, 12:28am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from blundellpork
Grimsby Live is full of stories from outside of our area, or questions for the public to answer in the hope of generating a story.

The paper itself gives large spreads to such stories as ‘How much can I buy from B&M for a tenner?’. I struggle to see how many of them can claim to be a journalist as there is never any new news, or insight, simply weak stories, written in a sloppy and lazy manner.

Dave Gorman dedicated a whole episode of 'Modern Life is Goodish' to this.  He looked at local newspapers in say,  Portsmouth and Halifax and the same stories appeared in them.  Just the street name or shop name was changed.   So, a lot of stories weren't actually true. Just made up, regurgitated or recycled.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 41
GollyGTFC
March 18, 2022, 5:18am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,049
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from HerveJosse
If you still buy physical newspapers and don’t do Twitter and Facebook etc then good on you if not you reap what you sow.

It’s 2022.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 41
lukeo
March 18, 2022, 6:10am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
The only paper I've bought in the last 5-10 years is the non league football paper. Brilliant stuff in that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 41
Les Brechin
March 18, 2022, 8:45am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Poojah
The Sports Telegraph was really impressive logistically too, when you think about it. It would often drop through the door before my feet had even fully thawed from the match.

The Sports Telegraph was brilliant. Not only did you get a comprehensive report on a match that had only finished an hour or so ago, you also got a full round-up of all the local football, snooker, pool etc. I regularly used to write a report on my Sunday League teams game each week and the players always used to look forward to reading that. Plus I even used to do a report if we lost!

Unfortunately, since the Sports Telegraph went it's been downhill for the main paper ever since.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Pathetic Grimsby Telegraph

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.