Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we make the Playoffs? Some stats.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 233 Guests

Can we make the Playoffs? Some stats.

This thread currently has 16,227 views. Print
11 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
March 13, 2022, 11:04am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,796
Gold Stars: 226
Ok, so we have clawed ourselves back into the top 7, but can we stay there?

Looking at the last three completed seasons in the National League, the team in 3rd have averaged 1.8 points per game, and 7th place 1.61. Given the 44 games available this season that would point to a range between 71 points and 79 points to end up in that area of the play off zone.

We currently have 55 points, so taking another 18 would give us 73 points. That might very well be enough to get a play off space.  So can we win another 6 games in our remaining fixtures?

We have five games against teams currently in the bottom six:  Weymouth (A), Kings Lynn (A), Barnet (A), Maidenhead (H) and Eastleigh (H). Teams at the bottom often put up stiff opposition, but we undoubtedly have the quality to beat these teams if we are up for it. I think we need to win four of these games, but anything over nine points would be pretty good.

We have two games against teams in mid table, Dagenham (H) and Torquay (H). If we are serious about getting into the playoffs then we must view these matches as probably out most winnable games in the run in.  

We also have matches against Chesterfield and Stockport which are very tough on paper and hard to see us getting much out of. Then we have what I consider to be the real six pointers, Boreham Wood (A) and Solihull (H). That latter game in particular could be critical. Beating them would make the remaining task much more achievable.

I think it is realistic to aim for 73 points given our remaining fixtures which, on recent evidence would be enough to get into the play offs.  Lot's of ifs and buts, but it is certainly achievable.

Logged Offline
Private Message
RonMariner
March 13, 2022, 11:10am

Special Brew Drinker
Forgot to mention Boreham Wood (H) which is yet to be rearranged. Another crucial six pointer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 103
Hagrid
March 13, 2022, 11:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,490
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from RonMariner
Ok, so we have clawed ourselves back into the top 7, but can we stay there?

Looking at the last three completed seasons in the National League, the team in 3rd have averaged 1.8 points per game, and 7th place 1.61. Given the 44 games available this season that would point to a range between 71 points and 79 points to end up in that area of the play off zone.

We currently have 55 points, so taking another 18 would give us 73 points. That might very well be enough to get a play off space.  So can we win another 6 games in our remaining fixtures?

We have five games against teams currently in the bottom six:  Weymouth (A), Kings Lynn (A), Barnet (A), Maidenhead (H) and Eastleigh (H). Teams at the bottom often put up stiff opposition, but we undoubtedly have the quality to beat these teams if we are up for it. I think we need to win four of these games, but anything over nine points would be pretty good.

We have two games against teams in mid table, Dagenham (H) and Torquay (H). If we are serious about getting into the playoffs then we must view these matches as probably out most winnable games in the run in.  

We also have matches against Chesterfield and Stockport which are very tough on paper and hard to see us getting much out of. Then we have what I consider to be the real six pointers, Boreham Wood (A) and Solihull (H). That latter game in particular could be critical. Beating them would make the remaining task much more achievable.

I think it is realistic to aim for 73 points given our remaining fixtures which, on recent evidence would be enough to get into the play offs.  Lot's of ifs and buts, but it is certainly achievable.

Think its Eastleigh away, last game.

We beat them 2-0 at home
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 103
RonMariner
March 13, 2022, 11:26am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Think its Eastleigh away, last game.

We beat them 2-0 at home

Yes, well spotted.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 103
TownSNAFU5
March 13, 2022, 11:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
Getting into the playoffs is one thing (probably in one of the last 2 places).   Having to then win 2 away matches against teams who finished higher than us is another thing.  Then there would be a Wembley match to win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 103
lew chaterleys lover
March 13, 2022, 12:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Yes we can make the playoffs and if we get there our chances are as good as anybody's.

Nobody has come close to giving us a hammering in the league and we do have match winners in the squad and we have Scannell and JMD raring to go.

We have a mixture of very winnable games and some tough ones but I hope the crowd continues to get behind us in even greater numbers and raise the volume.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 103
RonMariner
March 13, 2022, 12:02pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Getting into the playoffs is one thing (probably in one of the last 2 places).   Having to then win 2 away matches against teams who finished higher than us is another thing.  Then there would be a Wembley match to win.

I agree. The play offs can be a bit of a lottery and games can hinge on a stroke of luck or a bad refereeing decision. But you have to be in it to win it.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 103
HertsGTFC
March 13, 2022, 12:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
I've said this for a while if we're lucky with injuries we'll make the play offs, look at the bench yesterday despite some not having confidence in Hurst's recruitment on paper we have options and a bit if talent in the squad.

I've missed a few more games than usual this season so can't speak based upon watching every games but though at times we've been a bit flat or lost games by small margins I can't remember seeing us dominated or one particular player causing us trouble throughout a whole game.

All that said I hope for a strong finish to the season but still expect 2 of the 3 big spenders currently in the top 3 positions to get promoted.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 103
jamesgtfc
March 13, 2022, 12:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
I think we have enough about us to make the one legged games a tight and even affair. It's then a case of who gets the stroke of luck, moment of genius or misses in a penalty shootout.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 103
pizzzza
March 13, 2022, 12:39pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I think we have enough about us to make the one legged games a tight and even affair.

Seems like a novel idea, how do the players manage to keep their balance?
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 103
11 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we make the Playoffs? Some stats.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.