1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Sandford1981
February 16, 2022, 1:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
I have just got back from a visit with Mrs Sandford, my 8 and 11 year olds as well as my parents.
The museum itself was good and we all really enjoyed it, we had a little bite to eat and something to drink in the cafe and then the kids got something from the gift shop. All really good.
We then went for a tour on the Ross Tiger. The person showing us round was a guy called Bob. It was absolutely brilliant. He was so interesting and informative and told a great story. He was happy to answer questions and made sure to interact with the kids and have a laugh. What an absolute credit to the museum, ship and his industry. I could have sat for hours listening to him and was disappointed when the tour ended. It can be easy to ignore your own history and avoid things on your doorstep but I’d recommend a visit just for Bob.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
ginnywings
February 16, 2022, 10:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
It's a great museum and I was only saying last week, it's about time we went there again.

My Dad sailed on the Ross Tiger a few times, so it has a personal history for me, to see where he worked, ate and slept.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 6
KingstonMariner
February 16, 2022, 10:26pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
About time I went again. My teenagers were babies last time I went. They ought to see it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 6
cmackenzie4
February 17, 2022, 8:08am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
I’ve taken both my children there (when they were young) they both loved it and so did my wife and me, well worth a visit.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 6
Sandford1981
February 17, 2022, 8:24am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Mrs Sandford’s Grandpa who she was very close to was a skipper and Bob remembered him. He’s sadly no longer with us and his ashes scattered out at sea (his wishes as he said sea was where he was happiest) so it added a bit of sentimentality and poignancy.

Those men were absolute animals and tough illegitimates working in horrendous conditions.
I used to love hearing her grandpa’s stories but the 1 thing that made me smile was the fact he spent all his working life at sea but couldn’t swim! His attitude was if he went overboard he was a dead man and swimming wouldn’t have helped him much anyway.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 6
KingstonMariner
February 17, 2022, 10:56am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
My grandad said the same about swimming, but somehow he survived being capsized twice in freezing conditions. 😄

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 6
Les Brechin
February 17, 2022, 3:36pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
As people mention, it's strange that you don't go to an excellent attractions that right on your doorstep.

I have never been but will change that soon I think.

Would be a bit poignant for me too as I am named after my Uncle Les who was lost at sea 2 years before I was born. My Mum said then that if she ever had another child (boy or girl) she would call them Leslie after him, hence my name.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Grimsby Fishing Heritage Centre

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.