Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Non Football  /  
Posted by: Sandford1981, February 16, 2022, 1:45pm
I have just got back from a visit with Mrs Sandford, my 8 and 11 year olds as well as my parents.
The museum itself was good and we all really enjoyed it, we had a little bite to eat and something to drink in the cafe and then the kids got something from the gift shop. All really good.
We then went for a tour on the Ross Tiger. The person showing us round was a guy called Bob. It was absolutely brilliant. He was so interesting and informative and told a great story. He was happy to answer questions and made sure to interact with the kids and have a laugh. What an absolute credit to the museum, ship and his industry. I could have sat for hours listening to him and was disappointed when the tour ended. It can be easy to ignore your own history and avoid things on your doorstep but I’d recommend a visit just for Bob.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 16, 2022, 10:24pm; Reply: 1
It's a great museum and I was only saying last week, it's about time we went there again.

My Dad sailed on the Ross Tiger a few times, so it has a personal history for me, to see where he worked, ate and slept.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 16, 2022, 10:26pm; Reply: 2
About time I went again. My teenagers were babies last time I went. They ought to see it.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, February 17, 2022, 8:08am; Reply: 3
I’ve taken both my children there (when they were young) they both loved it and so did my wife and me, well worth a visit.
Posted by: Sandford1981, February 17, 2022, 8:24am; Reply: 4
Mrs Sandford’s Grandpa who she was very close to was a skipper and Bob remembered him. He’s sadly no longer with us and his ashes scattered out at sea (his wishes as he said sea was where he was happiest) so it added a bit of sentimentality and poignancy.

Those men were absolute animals and tough illegitimates working in horrendous conditions.
I used to love hearing her grandpa’s stories but the 1 thing that made me smile was the fact he spent all his working life at sea but couldn’t swim! His attitude was if he went overboard he was a dead man and swimming wouldn’t have helped him much anyway.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 17, 2022, 10:56am; Reply: 5
My grandad said the same about swimming, but somehow he survived being capsized twice in freezing conditions. 😄
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 17, 2022, 3:36pm; Reply: 6
As people mention, it's strange that you don't go to an excellent attractions that right on your doorstep.

I have never been but will change that soon I think.

Would be a bit poignant for me too as I am named after my Uncle Les who was lost at sea 2 years before I was born. My Mum said then that if she ever had another child (boy or girl) she would call them Leslie after him, hence my name.
Print page generated: May 27, 2024, 7:33am