4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
February 12, 2022, 5:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
Probably played better and lost but in the end very comfortable.

1st half thought we controlled the game, really pleased for Sousa to get his goal, we should have been out sight by time mcatee scored his first. Looked like poor GK’ing?

Second half started scrappy but Mcatee’s goal settled it as a contest, game petered out with the subs not impacting what was a flat 2nd half.

Late consolation for them bit frustrating but wins a win and an important 3 points and 3 wins in 4.

Logged Offline
Private Message
moosey_club
February 12, 2022, 5:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
Raiky picking the ball up off the back four and Burgess further up but holding made a huge difference but Aldershot weren't upto much, probably as poor as Kings Lynn but as they tried to attack which made it easy for us really.

Easy win.

Gets us into the pack.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 39
MuddyWaters
February 12, 2022, 5:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Decent enough performance. Nice to see Burgess start and whilst doing nothing outstanding, he seemed to move the ball at a better tempo than Coke.

McAtee always makes a difference but I would make Raikhy MoTM despite strong competition from Harry. I was a big fan of Alex Hunt but Raikhy seems even better. Strong tackler and reads the game really well, will go on to higher levels than this.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 39
TAGG
February 12, 2022, 5:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
Thought we played around the sides a lot better than Tuesday. Was a great performance first half with a lot of good partnerships going on.
Thought Burgess and Raikhy looked well together.
Second half was a bit of a non event with us cruising really.
Thought everyone put in a proper good shift today.
UTM
On to thee point at Southend

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 39
ginnywings
February 12, 2022, 5:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Routine win against a limited Aldershot, who to their credit, kept going, kept trying to play football and we gave them our obligatory sloppy goal at the end of a very dull second half.

To be fair, it was over as a contest at half time and the third just made it more comfortable, allowing PH to give minutes to the fringe players. Any momentum we had was stifled at that point and it was just a case of running down the clock in wet and windy conditions.

Their keeper had a bit of a mare and should have comfortably palmed way McAtee's first and he got unlucky for the second as his save from the same player went straight back to him for him to score. McAtee probably man of the match for his goals, but I thought Taylor again had a good game before going off.

Burgess looked tidy without tearing up any trees and the whole team were competent, rather than rampant.

3 more points and onto a tough next fixture.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 39
forza ivano
February 12, 2022, 5:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Decent enough performance. Nice to see Burgess start and whilst doing nothing outstanding, he seemed to move the ball at a better tempo than Coke.

McAtee always makes a difference but I would make Raikhy MoTM despite strong competition from Harry. I was a big fan of Alex Hunt but Raikhy seems even better. Strong tackler and reads the game really well, will go on to higher levels than this.

From what I've seen in the last 2 games I totally agree with you Codger.thought raikhy n clifton were the 2 best town players on Tuesday, and raikhy is deffo a step up on hunt. Far more effective all round. My first impression hes a better, if different, player than embleton
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 39
chaos33
February 12, 2022, 5:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,978
Gold Stars: 361
Wow. Big claims. Obviously I haven’t been today, but Hunt is a very good footballer with superb set piece delivery and Embleton is class and established at L1 level. What is Raikhy’s set piece delivery like?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 39
ginnywings
February 12, 2022, 5:52pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from forza ivano

From what I've seen in the last 2 games I totally agree with you Codger.thought raikhy n clifton were the 2 best town players on Tuesday, and raikhy is deffo a step up on hunt. Far more effective all round. My first impression hes a better, if different, player than embleton

We were saying the same today about Raikhy. He's at least as good as Hunt, if not better as he's more physical and seems to get involved more in the play.

Didn't mention Harry in my first post, but he did have a very good game today. He seemed to be everywhere. Got one hell of an engine.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 39
MuddyWaters
February 12, 2022, 5:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
Wow. Big claims. Obviously I haven’t been today, but Hunt is a very good footballer with superb set piece delivery and Embleton is class and established at L1 level. What is Raikhy’s set piece delivery like?

I’d say his set pieces are the equal of Hunt but he seems to get up the pitch more and is certainly a better tackler.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 39
Mighty_Mariner
February 12, 2022, 6:14pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,241
Gold Stars: 10
How did Scannell look for the time he was on the pitch? Is there promise of a rekindled player in there?

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 39
Hagrid
February 12, 2022, 6:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
How did Scannell look for the time he was on the pitch? Is there promise of a rekindled player in there?

Some nice touches, but game was won by the point he was on. Id like to see more of him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 39
pontoonlew
February 12, 2022, 6:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Credit to Hurst for making the change that none of us thought he ever would, we’re a much more positive side without Coke in the side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 39
MuddyWaters
February 12, 2022, 6:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

It was good to see him get half an hour albeit in a game that was over. Whether he should start and who in place of is a trickier question.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 39
LH
February 12, 2022, 6:55pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,573
Gold Stars: 174
This division is basically ten half decent (but by no means excellent) teams who are in a promotion race and thirteen urine poor ones making up the numbers.

A really poor game of football that we were fortunate enough to score early in which meant Aldershot couldn’t sit on a 0-0. Shout out to the nob in the Upper who told McAtee it wasn’t all about him after he failed to hit the target from 25yds not two minutes before (again through good fortune) he scored his first.

Thinking of doing a run of “I saw Sean Scannell play for Town” teeshirts if anyone wants one?
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 39
dicko995
February 12, 2022, 7:00pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -252
Gold Stars: 25
Exactly what Hagrid said at beginning of topic. 2nd half was a half wanting to be ended quick. We didnt seem interested, and was a likely income for them to score. Amos had a bad game today in my eyes, didnt know what to do, and his passing down the line to Harry often ended up in a throw in to them. McAtee tried too many flicks which ended up in us losing possession, and Taylor just wasnt in the game, losing out and giving away possession. Max in goal had a decent game, finding players in his kicks and throws, but the game ended in excitement at half time, we scored a third goal, and that was it for us, the subs never improved the flow of the game, we seemed to struggle to make passes, but 3 points is the name of the game. 2 tricky away games ahead of us, and we need to be on the ball, were on the edge of playoffs but played more games, the lads need to concentrate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 39
Mariner_501
February 12, 2022, 7:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from LH

A really poor game of football that we were fortunate enough to score early in which meant Aldershot couldn’t sit on a 0-0. Shout out to the nob in the Upper who told McAtee it wasn’t all about him after he failed to hit the target from 25yds not two minutes before (again through good fortune) he scored his first.

I did find that amusing when he went and scored from the same position minutes later. However it is worth noting that the first attempt was very, very greedy with an easy through ball on to put a teammate clean through on goal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 39
HerveJosse
February 12, 2022, 7:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,209
Gold Stars: 144
Despite his goals thought  looked off it for long periods both today and against Kings Lynn . I hope an air of I am better then this is not developing . Except a Red Cross avalanche , that’s life but that’s the way I saw it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 39
MuddyWaters
February 12, 2022, 7:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse
Despite his goals thought  looked off it for long periods both today and against Kings Lynn . I hope an air of I am better then this is not developing . Except a Red Cross avalanche , that’s life but that’s the way I saw it.

I think that he might be guilty of thinking he’s of a better level than this and he possibly is. I think he would be even better if he played as a team player rather in the slightly maverick way that he does.

We certainly carry more threat with him in the team than when he wasn’t.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 39
lew chaterleys lover
February 12, 2022, 7:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,746
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from HerveJosse

He is a class act. A fantastic player with a fantastic work rate. And he has scored 10 goals so far and made countless others and often occupies a couple of defenders if they can get near him. His skilful play and sublime touches make him stand out and we are very lucky to have him.

What exactly are you expecting in tier 5?
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 39
coddy60
February 12, 2022, 7:44pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I think that he might be guilty of thinking he’s of a better level than this and he possibly is. I think he would be even better if he played as a team player rather in the slightly maverick way that he does.

We certainly carry more threat with him in the team than when he wasn’t.

How is he not a team player, he runs himself into the ground pressing, scores and creates goals, not everything he does is perfect, but he's a kid, playing in league 5. He will learn with experience, I wouldn't stop him doing anything he does, I would encourage more...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 39
Roast Em Bobby
February 12, 2022, 8:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,723
Gold Stars: 44
I’m surprised some thought Burgess had a good game. I was deliberately watching him closely because I’ve not seen him play before and he was pretty much anonymous for most of the game and had less of an impact than Coke does, and I’m not a massive fan of Coke. If Fox is going to be out for a while we need someone else in.

I thought their number 14 looked a decent player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 39
jamesgtfc
February 12, 2022, 8:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Aldershot came at us from the off which really helped us. Their keeper was making his debut today and McAtee's first looked a clanger on his part.

Just before McAtee scored I thought Clifton was going to shoot on his left and what a goal that could have been! Good to put a game to bed for the first time in a while. I like that McAtee is selfish but it's about knowing when to do it and when not to. I didn't notice it but the person next to me said when McAtee was through for his third, Taylor stopped running because he knew what was going to happen.

Their goal is a frustrating one to concede but on we go. I think we would have all taken 7 points from Notts, King's Lynn and Aldershot beforehand.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 39
MuddyWaters
February 12, 2022, 8:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from coddy60

How is he not a team player, he runs himself into the ground pressing, scores and creates goals, not everything he does is perfect, but he's a kid, playing in league 5. He will learn with experience, I wouldn't stop him doing anything he does, I would encourage more...

Yup. I pretty much expected that.  

He’s a cracking player, of course he is, but he’s capable of being better. That’s only a criticism if you want it to be. I’m saying that an extra split second to look for a better option would make him outstanding at this level.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 39
MuddyWaters
February 12, 2022, 8:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
I’m surprised some thought Burgess had a good game. I was deliberately watching him closely because I’ve not seen him play before and he was pretty much anonymous for most of the game and had less of an impact than Coke does, and I’m not a massive fan of Coke. If Fox is going to be out for a while we need someone else in.

Interesting. I thought their 14 looked decent and 24 when he came on at half time. Turns out they are 2 loanees, Glover from Bournemouth and Vennings from Charlton.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 39
Jaws
February 12, 2022, 8:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Felt too easy today without really getting going. Aldershot offered very little, was expecting a similar side to Kings Lynn today.

Goals aside didn't really think of anyone having a great game or standing out but noone really needed to.

Special shout out to the stewards who continue to allow the last aisleway of the Pontoon to become blocked and a stampede at every goal. Will cost us a fortune when someone cracks their head open. Similarly, have to congratulate them on their failure to eject a supporter who was so drunk he couldn't walk and urinated in his seat and then involuntarily wet himself later on, even though this was reported to the stewards.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 39
TownSNAFU5
February 12, 2022, 9:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
McAtee works on a different level to most of the team.  When we have possession he will often find space and move into it quickly.  He then points and demands that the ball is played to him quickly before he is closed down. There are many missed opportunities when the ball is not passed to him.  We delay or make a less effective pass.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 39
aldi_01
February 12, 2022, 9:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

All about opinions but I’d say our midfield likes much more forward thinking without Coke in there so that would imply that Burgess did have a decent game. Perhaps he’s one of those players, those players that jjst crack on without doing anything fancy.

Was an easy win in the end and Aldershot are probably the worst side I’ve seen at BP this season, their keeper was a bit ropey.

Mcatee didn’t have a decent game by his standards, even though he bagged too. Sometimes he almost tries too hard. Glad Sousa got a goal, he works his bollcoks off, I still can’t decide if he’s any good but can’t fault effort.

Glad Scannell got a longer run out, I’d still have binned him off and I’m half expecting a comment in the week to say he’s injured but he was at least positive when he came on.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 39
moosey_club
February 12, 2022, 9:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from ginnywings
Routine win against a limited Aldershot, who to their credit, kept going, kept trying to play football and we gave them our obligatory sloppy goal at the end of a very dull second half.

To be fair, it was over as a contest at half time and the third just made it more comfortable, allowing PH to give minutes to the fringe players. Any momentum we had was stifled at that point and it was just a case of running down the clock in wet and windy conditions.

Their keeper had a bit of a mare and should have comfortably palmed way McAtee's first and he got unlucky for the second as his save from the same player went straight back to him for him to score. McAtee probably man of the match for his goals, but I thought Taylor again had a good game before going off.

Burgess looked tidy without tearing up any trees and the whole team were competent, rather than rampant.

3 more points and onto a tough next fixture.

Actually thought that Taylor had a poor game compared to his own standard and the Macatee finish for his second was fantastic, very fast reactions to switch his feet and finish

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 39
toontown
February 12, 2022, 9:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70

Totally agree. Burgess is an anonymous player at this level at best. He stands further forward than Coke but is far more anonymous than him. I am not a Coke fan During a game. First time ive ever said this but red Cross away. Burgess is definitely not the answer. He was veery mediocre. He has never been anything but when he has come on.

It is a case of the result clouding peoples judgement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 39
February 12, 2022, 9:59pm
Guest User
Really enjoyed it which was a bonus as I couldn’t be arsed today. Clifton, McAtee and Raikhy stand outs.
Reply: 29 - 39
HertsGTFC
February 12, 2022, 10:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
So firstly Aldershot aren’t very good but credit to them they came had a go didn’t p1ss about trying to cheat and got on with the game and scored a good goal against a Town side who’d gone to dopey mode after scoring the 3rd goal.

It’s lucky the visitors aren’t very good as we frittered away numerous decent positions and chances made by some really hard work and some good approach play.

All that apart Town controlled the game overall, tried to move the ball and looked lively before the changes. I liked Sousa’s goal as he kept running and put himself in the right spot and though he didn’t have a great game in terms of overall play credit to McAtee as he can have an average game every week if he returns a brace.

So 10 points from 12 is an improvement on recent weeks and the players deserve the credit for doing their best to turn things around.

Good to see Scannell on the pitch I didn’t realise he was that quick, fingers crossed he can stay fit and prove the numpties who have posted on here calling him a wage thief wrong.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 39
Poojah
February 12, 2022, 11:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Enjoyable enough afternoon of football; a decent performance against a pretty limited looking Aldershot side and the margin of victory really ought to have been greater than two goals.

Some nice interplay at times and some strong individual performances. One or two looked a little off the pace but today’s not the day to scrutinise; we were comfortably good enough.

The first two goals were a little bizarre in their own unique way; quite what the goalkeeper did with McAtee’s speculative shot for the second I have no idea.

I thought Sousa was absolutely superb first half, just unplayable at times. Deserved his goal but could if not should have had a hat trick. He certainly should have scored when put through clean on goal by McAtee at 1-0 but as Hurst alluded to in the pre-match build up his lack of end product is why he’s here. If we can fix that we’ll have a hell of a player on our hands, because that aside he is an absolute delight to watch.

Less obvious today, but Crocombe looks increasingly like a man who knows he owns that shirt. Some excellent aerial dominance from set pieces and I think he’s the undisputed first choice now.

McAtee was the obvious man of the match, having scored two goals, but I agree with one or two others that it wasn’t his best performance in Town colours today. Even on a bad day he will always be one of the best players on the pitch at this level, and his work rate is unquestionable - his decision making just wasn’t great at times. For me, the MoM goes to Clifton who was fúcking everywhere today, dictating things defensively and going forward. Cracking display for the lad.

The league table is looking ever so slightly better tonight than it did a month ago.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 39
HarrogateMariner
February 13, 2022, 1:09am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
Similar views to everyone else from myself. Comfortable win against a poor side but to give them and their management credit they at least came to play and didn't stick everyone behind the ball and time waste. You can only beat what is in front of you and they do have a very good away record, so all in all a good win.

Thought Sousa was excellent first half and I have to say I prefer Raikhy to Hunt. Thought he was also very good and looks a lot stronger and wins the ball back more. For me Burgess grew into the game, which is understandable given it was his full debut.  McAtee not at his best but scored 2 so no complaints! Also absolutely love Luke Waterfall this season, thought he read everything very well today except for the challenge that got him booked. And as noted by others Clifton once more excellent. He will be disappointed with their goal but it was a superb tackle and pass for McAtee's second.

Enjoyable game, good result. We look a settled team again and in with a real shout for the playoffs. Happy days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 39
arryarryarry
February 13, 2022, 3:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 117
A good win. I thought we played OK in the first half but thought they looked poor.

2nd half, a very well taken goal by McAtee but after that it was a bit meh. Even the crowd couldn't get warmed up.

Dreadful defending for their goal.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 39
quebec38
February 13, 2022, 8:25am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
I thought it was one of the best performances of the season so far. We are better than Aldershot and we made it look like it too. They aren’t the greatest team but they gave it a go at the least.

We played with more urgency as was needed and moved the ball quicker in midfield, Burgess being a big part of that.

Hopefully follow it up on Friday now!
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 39
chaos33
February 13, 2022, 8:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,978
Gold Stars: 361
Is Friday’s game on BT Sport?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 39
Hagrid
February 13, 2022, 8:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
Is Friday’s game on BT Sport?

It isnt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 39
TAGG
February 13, 2022, 2:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
Just wondering what people think of Hursts comments that we were better Tuesday night?

Imo Tuesday was disciplined junk, we seem to play to a game plan that was try to play through the middle, and the team stuck to that and the manager was unwilling to change it.

Saturday we looked to play around the sides and reaped the rewards.
Or was I watch different games to him???

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 39
ginnywings
February 13, 2022, 4:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from TAGG
Just wondering what people think of Hursts comments that we were better Tuesday night?

Imo Tuesday was disciplined junk, we seem to play to a game plan that was try to play through the middle, and the team stuck to that and the manager was unwilling to change it.

I thought we were livelier on Tuesday night, but when you don't score, it tends to cloud the thinking about the performance.

We scored goals and won doesn't necessarily mean we played better. The second half was very drab, but we didn't need to do anything other than run down the clock and keep them at bay.

Yesterday, Sousa could quite easily have skied his goal if he had been a bit further out and their keeper could have easily saved the second one had he not made a complete hash of it, then things look very different if you go in at half time 0-0 again.

I don't think we were particularly impressive in either game, but we made enough chances on Tuesday to have won that one too.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 39
Kris2
February 13, 2022, 5:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from TAGG

On Tuesday we played against a team that did nothing but defend in numbers and try to slow the game down. We worked harder but couldn't break them down and stop them being able to frustrate us. Way I see it we played in a much more open game on Saturday where it's easier to be free scoring and also let one in. King's Lynn had absolutely no intention of trying to play against us so it left much less room to find space and score goals. The reason we could freely get crosses in is because Aldershot went for it against us and we took our chances.

Maybe he just views the game in a different way to you and that's why he's a football manager and you're a fan. Scoring more goals doesn't mean we played better.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.